1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the "culture" factors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

These personnel changes are going to have huge implications... All positive. Dwight hurt our team last yr. losing him and replacing with Nene is a +

Adding smart players who shoot well and don't go "rogue" on offense (i.e. jsmoove and Brewer) will make a huge positive diff as well. Anderson and Gordon are going to help a lot.

If Harden is focused again like in 14-15 pre kardashian, we're going to be a top 4 seed team this year. I think we'll at least match the win total of that WCF year.

Also, Ariza will reap huge benefits with these changes as well. He's an impressionable guy and only plays as well as those around him.

I think we'll have way less turnovers this year and be an overall smarter team..

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Culture starts from the top...

The GM treating players as assets...

Coaching having no power, no say on the system to run, not being able to discipline players..

The Rockets have introduced a culture set my the Owner, GM and Coach..

T_Man

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I love when fans say stuff like this and completely ignore what the players on the teams have said. Someone tell Kyle Lowry that the coach didn't have a system or wasn't able to discipline his players. Someone tell that to Marcus Thornton or Michael Beasley, two guys who got stuck in the dog house.

You have no idea what goes on with the team, just what you perceive based on bad basketball.

4. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

I guess I would define culture as a combination of leadership and direction. Both failed last year. Mchale provided leadership when things were going well, but failed to hold people accountable, particularly Harden, when things started going bad. This destroyed his ability to lead. Mchale always failed at direction, as he never established any sort of team identity or style or system. Harden failed to be accountable, and took advantage when no one else was willing to hold him accountable. Dwight, as always, was mentally weak. Guy has never ever handled team adversity well. JBB was not prepared for or capable of meeting the challenge presented to him. And there were not enough mature professionals who mattered when it counted.

So this year, love or hate dantoni (i lean towards hate, but whateves) there will be an identity. Adding Anderson, Gordon, and Nene brings in professional pros who matter. So all that's left is, Harden's desire and general accountability. Will dantoni bench Harden when he fails to play d? If he does, everyone will benefit. If he doesn't, then a winning, mature, professional culture will not develop.

1 person likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

At first you marvel at the talent. But eventually when the team becomes one individual, one cornerstone, the rest of the team loses interest.

It just spirals out of control.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RMyuv3wkTJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They said Jerry sold durant on the concept of everyone being equal. That cornerstone talk wouldn't fly in that locker room. small things like that. I think D'antoni will make this a team oriented system. It will be glorious, but if it doesn't sit well with harden, it will have consequences.

In the words of Mchale, We shall see.

6. SDsportsjunkie

Don't underestimate the Kardashian twat effect

7. DreamEarlNolan

The Rockets were a team divided last year, with what seems to be most of the team and the front office on one side, and Howard on the other. Dwight didn't like the direction the team was going, that he felt he should be getting more post ups, and has admitted that he didn't always give full effort. Everyone doesn't have to get along for a team to be successful, but everyone has to be on the same page. When one of your "star" players doesn't believe in what your doing and doesn't give full effort, your team isn't going to have success.

8. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

My take is that you don't have to look any further than the approach of James Harden to identify the difference in 'culture' between the 14-15 & 15-16 seasons. The summer of 2014 saw Harden take a lead role in USA Basketball, where he was conditioned by a great USA staff to become a leader for that team. It was obvious he carried over the conditioning & overall approach to the game from his stint w/ the national team into the 14-15 season with the Rockets. The rest of the team fed off his drive, which I believe was instilled by the USA team's coaching staff.

Contrast that with the summer of 2015, when Harden decided to become a cast member of Keeping up with the Kardashians (on top of signing the huge deal w/ Adidas) and all of the sudden, Harden was cast into the role of a prima donna, where it seemed he cared more for the limelight than becoming a better basketball payer. He came into camp in nowhere near as good of condition as he did in 2014 and again the team fed off his approach to the game. Though statistically, he had a great season, the leadership I don't think was there throughout the season, which likely contributed to this perceived shift in 'culture' - ultimately this team takes its queues from its anointed leader and he just didn't come through in the same way he did the previous year.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Great analogy. I will add though team bonding is a real effort for millionaires who don't have to do crap and still get paid.

Maybe the idea that everyone has to get along is overrated, but old school guys like Kobe was onto something where people had to work hard to prove that they can play together. The team can definitely rally around the effort and amazement Harden generated two seasons ago. It makes you practice 100 more shots when your arms already feel like jelly or rewatch some plays to nail down your assignment.

The legendary Rockets squad consistently looks back on their practices where they bonded and tested each other. They talking about practice? We wanted to hear more stories about playoffs.

That was probably the only way teammates could've earned Kobe's aspergery trust and respect.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a great thread! great observations. Good stuff justtxyank and topfive.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Culture starts from the top....

When Dungy took over for both Tampa bay and the Colts he changed the culture and the attitude of both teams.. Gruden benefited from the culture he inherited

When Jimmy Johnson took over the cowboys he changed the culture of that team.

Poppivich change the spurs culture... Phil Jackson changed the bulls culture..

All these coaches worked with the GM to bring in players that fit their system and their attitude to do what it takes to win a championship.

The Rockets don't have this.... They can keep shuffling in as many players as they like... Like changing the icing on a **** Sandwich.. No matter how much you change the presentation, it's still **** on the inside...

If the owner doesn't like what the GM is doing then he needs to change.. But the owner should get a GM that he can trust and let that GM do his job...

The same goes for the GM he should get a coach that he trust and let the coach do his job...

Right now this organization is just a told mess...

T_Man

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To be clear, I didn't say that chemistry is overrated, I said it disappears in a flash. When players struggle or regress significantly, it is incredibly easy for frustration to build. Two years ago everyone loved seeing the greyhound run a break and attack the rim. Last year you could see resentment and frustration on the court when he would miss that layup and Ariza would have to come to a stop to run back the other way to try and foul to stop a layup. How many times did you see those sour looks dart between guys, not because they didn't like each other, but because they were getting angry at the other guy blowing easy shots, clanking threes, etc. that were causing their teammates to put out a lot of effort to make up for it. Or Harden missing defensive rotations, same thing.

Chemistry is important and hard working attitudes are especially important. BUT, making shots or missing shots ultimately is what determines how we perceive chemistry on the court.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. alethios

alethios Member

Yeah, it's a shame he opted out of the Olympics (for reasons I'm still unsure about). Could've used that extra conditioning and discipline heading into the next season.

I really feel like this is Harden's team and how he goes will determine how the rest of the team goes.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

These all seem plausible to me.

16. jdjd

jdjd Member

Great post thanks for the educated responses,

My take on it is this, and this is one I haven't heard from anyone thus far, I think last year's chemistry issues boil down to one thing, MONEY!!! Think about it, last year Dwight was our highest paid player on the team, giving him reason to think, "ok I'm the highest paid so I must be the focus of the team", especially once he felt his health was all the way back. But he never developed his game to fit the new trending style of the NBA (ie a jump shot).

Harden on the other hand, knew and realized he was the second highest paid player on a team that he was the only real All-Star. Let that sit in for a second and tell me how that would make you feel? I know this team can't go without me, but I have to sit and listen to this overpaid baby whining about touches. Granted, Harden could have come in in better shape, or could have been a better leader / example / role model, but remember his stats show that he had a season only comparable to MJ and Lebron.

I've heard it said that many/some of the players on the team would see the half azz effort Dwight was putting in, and saying if he's not fighting for rebounds or busting his butt to get back in transition, then why should we? In the end, it all boils down to trust. You have to trust that the man next to you is going to put forth the same effort, fight, and energy that you will or you'll lose hope.
    TRUST = CHEMISTRY

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

When Harden hit a game winner last year and over half the team (Howard/Brewer come to mind) wasn't celebrating.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YqhV_Q4Gl8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch the 4 other players on the court after James hits that shot. I know they're worried about how much time was left, but maybe a little emotion would be natural. This video shows me how much fight had left the Rockets by the time the playoffs started. I mean, we heard all these words about wanting to win, but actions are the only thing that matter.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

People have focused on the guys not celebrating... I say look at the guy that IS showing emotion - DMo - and look at how he gets treated....

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Losing was a big thing...losing changes a lot..makes players unhappy, selfish, etc.

We know terry said JB tightened things up at practice compared to Mchale and said it was needed...which means looseness became a problem with Mchale...but considering JB's reign didn't improve things much, then maybe everything goes back to losing..you can be loose, if you're winning, but not if you're losing...but being strict when you're losing may not be good either...sounds complicated...but i think the point is we couldn't win enough regardless of what was done, which means the issue was lack of talent, not how things were done.

We also know Dwight flip flopped between wanting to be superman and tyson chandler...and even when he agreed to be Tyson chandler he wasn't happy about it and he slacked off.

So in conclusion...the team went back to the mean after last season and the lack of talent was exposed, which lead to losing, which created frustration, which grew further because there wasn't enough talent to dig themselves out of a hole and on top of that their robin was worried about his brand over the team...all that= culture problems

Add talent, remove Robin = better culture...now they can focus on "how things are done" and hope it translates to more winning.

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I think you really nailed it with this. Most of these problems will be gone going into this season. That should make a real difference. It might not be enough to offset the lack of talent compared to some other teams, but this season should be easier to watch. And there's a chance a trade will upgrade the talent, too.