1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are some "veteran leaders" you'd like to see on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Josh Freaking Hart

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Mo
    Most if not all these players you mentioned are on the downslope or twilight of their careers. If the Rockets want a vocal vet leader in the locker room and can teach these young players the technical aspects of the game then Kyle Lowry may be the only player here that fits that bill. But the Rockets would need to use their MLE on these types of players. I can’t expect much playing time out of this group to run with the Rockets first or second teams much like Jared Dudley with the Lakers.

When building a team I believe you need a core group to run within a window and this includes the ages and quality of the players. With the current core group Rockets likely are getting young vets im their prime to surround them and help guide this team to be a contender. Players like Dillon Brooks, Cam Johnson, Grant Williams, Jerami Grant are certainly great options that fit this timeline.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

DD

daywalker02 and Salvy like this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'd like to see John Wall as a leader and mentor...

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Corey Brewer

Salvy likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

We already have Corey Brewer with Green...

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

have you picked anything up in the whisper circles about Sengun becoming the first player-coach since Dave Cowens? that's the kind of veteran leadership this team needs. And would solve the coaching problem

Salvy likes this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'd like to retract John Wall as my choice from this thread because now that I think of it this is a thinly disguised Sengun hate thread. We don't need "veteran" leadership... We have The Turkish league MVP and going into his 3rd year in the league with the highest IQ in basketball possibly ever.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this guy gets it.gif

Salvy likes this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Not sure Sengun wants to coach here, I think he would rather be coaching a playoff team like Sixers or Suns... I wonder of those teams are willing to have Sengun coach them online or something. It be tough for him during Rockets games thou...

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wouldn't object to any of the guys you mentioned. I don't think it would necessarily be the worst thing to bring in one player in the twilight of his career either on a one year/expiring deal or a two-year deal though. It would be a way to increase the win total and add mentorship for the younger guys without wrecking our cap flexibility to add a star free agent in a year or two.

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. R=$

R=$ Member

Coby White

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

UDONIS UDIDITAGAIN

We really haven't had steady vet leadership for a while. Front office just doesn't see the value.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bismack Biyombo for backup center anyone? Could be an ideal defensive presence behind Sengun for a relatively affordable price (Room MLE? 2/12), this year he was 3rd in the league for blocks per 36. Has had playoff experience with PHX and TOR.

We talk about Lopez a lot, but I just don't see how the Bucks could afford to lose him, on top of being doubtful of his desire to be in Houston. Naz Ried is another interesting name but he's another young player, will probably demand a bit more money, and isn't known for his defensive impact.

OremLK likes this.
  15. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Jaylen Brown

NewAge likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need a veteran point guard and two shooters…..

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Watching the Warriors tonight, two more names come to mind for the list

Dante DiVincenzo and JaMychal Green

DDV has 3pt shot, is a good athlete, a plus defender at 1&2, rebounds well for a guard, and has some combo guard playmaking ability. If we move on from KPJ, he'd be a good target.

Jam Green, if we move on from Tate and or Martin, would be a solid backup for Smith with a respectable 3ball, plus rebounding, and decent defense.

18. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Chucky Brown, Charles Jones, maybe Sleepy Floyd.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like to see him on stage.

20. ilias

ilias Member

Tyus Jones and Grant Williams. Add shooting, defence, playmaking, low turnovers. Role players that know their role.