1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are really our only viable trade partners to move up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, May 29, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I think you are right on the wings. As for Ty Ty, no one with the Rockets has told me why they like him, just that they do. They like Jean Montero as well.

2. mightybosstone

I don't think they're convinced KPJ is a PG and they shouldn't be. He's a solid secondary playmaker and he does a number of things well, but I still think he'd be a better fit playing more off ball. His spot shooting stats last season proved that. He's become a really solid shooter, but his basketball IQ is not what you want from your starting PG. If the Rockets are sitting with that second pick and think the next starting PG is there, I'd be OK if they went that route, even if I'd personally rather see them grab a defensive 3 and D wing/forward.

I like Nix as the bench PG as well next year with the idea that if he blossoms into the starting PG, amazing. Next year should be another tanking season, so there's no reason not to let Silas and Stone play with lineups and guys at multiple positions.

jcmoon likes this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

This trade might actually work. Works for both teams. Keep Wood but get Plumlee to anchor more defense around him. Obviously both teams would do this.
    There is also a rumor that Hornets could actually use Wall to help push the young guys and they have a playoff type team in place, plus it free up cap for them for free agents they need next year. Rockets would have to eat one more year of salary, but move down in draft. Lose Tate.

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Does this trade make Charlotte better? I’m not seeing it.

6. j@amc

j@amc Member

Per Aaron Fentress of the Oregonian: "the Blazers have now worked out five projected first-round picks: Arizona guard Bennedict Mathurin, Memphis center/forward Jalen Duren, G League Ignite’s Dyson Daniels, Duke forward AJ Griffin and Tari Eason" (on June 10).

Facing the unenviable task of trying to revitalize their roster, the Blazers took a dive in the hopes of finding talent at the top of the draft board. I'm not sure they can find a franchise-altering talent at #7. Mathurin, Duren, Daniels, or maybe players that have yet to bring in (like Shaedon Sharpe or Johnny Davis) are all good players, but I don't think Lillard would look at any of them as an answer.

I could see the Blazers selling this pick and relying on Mike Schmitz's expertise to add the best available player at #17. To me, Eason would be an interesting trade-down target for Portland.

saleem likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Daniels is the best available prospect at #7. But I don’t think he’s worth trading up that far to get. While I’m pretty sure Portland will trade this pick, they are looking for an Ayton, OG, Myles Turner, or Jeremy Grant. We don’t have one of those guys. We have Wood, but most would put him a tier down from those guys. I think we’ll be badly outbid for #7.

Washington at 10
    Knicks at 11
    Hornets at 13

much more realistic trade up options for Houston.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm definitely banging on the table if Daniels drops to 11... but I agree at 7 it doesn't seem as enticing to let go of a ton of assets that Portland would want.

saleem likes this.
  9. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I have not disliked a Rocket this much since Scottie Pippen was here. I also despise Wood. If we somehow started next season without KPJ and Wood, I would buy season tix again. Not an fan of people quitting on their team, like they did.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It would perfect in my eyes if the rockets traded kpj wood #17 for Daniels if they think he is a future starter and a good pair with Green. Addition by subtraction.

Green
    Daniels
    Paolo
    Sengun
    Garuba
    Christopher
    Nix
    Martin
    2023 pick
    Bucks pick
    Capspace 2023

is a TREMENDOUS amount of talent acquired in 3 seasons. 2024 would be Green/Sengun 3rd season when you lose your pick but you still could potentially have a good pick coming from the Nets.

Bo6 likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm okay with TyTy at 17, if he's completely fit. Is Wood on the trade block?

a la rockets likes this.
  12. saleem

Hornets at 15 is potentially the easiest deal. I wouldn't give up too much to acquire Eason. I do like him though.

13. saleem

I agree, but KPJ is working hard to redeem himself. I know he can still blow up, but he’s playing with a degree of maturity now. I want him to succeed. He brings value to the team. I can't say the same for Wood.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

I wonder who might be willing to pay so much for a prospect like Daniels (or Mark Williams) at #7.

Is either of them the last piece that a team like Phoenix or Toronto needs? And does Indiana or Detroit want to add a second high draft pick to their roster? I guess it's possible, but if I were the teams trading up, I'd be super cautious here. I don't see an obvious franchise player at #7 (which may be why Portland desires to move out in the first place).

The #7 pick might grow to be a solid contributor on the right team but it will take time--something at least half of the teams that might look to trade up don't have.

I guess the other weird possibility is that Portland reboots their team by trading up with Sacramento and taking a gamble on Jaden Ivey. Their fans would revolt, but Sacramento would likely give them a good deal here.

15. raining threes

I think the Hornets would do Wood for #15.

saleem likes this.
  16. raining threes

Pick Eason at 15 and Jalen Williams at 17. Sign a defensive minded center like Robinson in FA.

#76 raining threes, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

KPJ
    Green
    Daniels
    Banchero
    Wood

is a really nice starting 5. KJM/Christopher/Sengun off the bench. Tons of flexibility and potential for really fun line-ups. Throw in 2 random vets and you got yourself a solid squad that could compete for the play-in IMO. Nix/Queen/Garuba end of bench.

Corrosion and raining threes like this.
  18. saleem

That's my hope too. Exchange Wood and the 17th for Oubre and the 15th.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if we give up Wood it should be FOR the 15th outright..

Corrosion and raining threes like this.
  20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Terrence Williams the squid