1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Who’s your starting 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ISO, Aug 11, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Sengun is way too ****ing good to be sitting behind Theis... Plus he is an amazing fit next to Wood.

dragonwill and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

We don't know how he will perform at the PF, though.
    But his height and agility sure belongs to a PF, not a C.

There is no way he would be starting at least in the first half of the season, behind Wood, Theiss and KJM.
    Chemistry is also key and the guy only say "I'm happy" in English.
    So we are all high on Alpen (I sure am), but give the guy some time or we have the risk to end his career before it even started.

clos4life and Corrosion like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Theis is like going from starter to bench player fast, I think he wouldn't have thought that coming in.

Matter of time.

GotGame15 likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

Wall
    KPJ
    Green
    Tate
    Wood

Bench:
    Gordon, Sengun, Theis, Nwabe, Martin, Garuba, DJ.

Wall still has a devastating first step. He just was so focused on getting that call that he was used to getting from the refs and those calls never came.
    If he can cut it down to 13 shots per game instead of 18 shots, that would be a good start.

Gordon should get back on track from three and stop launching those 50 ft threes. A contender could be interested in him by the deadline, opening up 13 shots. Then you'll have: Sengun, Theis, Nwabe, Martin, Garuba and DJ. 3 of those aren't high usage on offense. By then you should be able to bring up Christopher from the G league.

Win 30 games get the 10th pick, trade Wall to Utah or something.
    Finally, get to the NBA finals in the summer of 2023

ISO likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

If jaygup keeps up with his brilliant performance like today against Detroit, i believe he would be moved to the starting lineup right after 2021-2022 all-star game, before that silas gonna let him come off the bench as an defense/offence catalyst.
    A starting lineup based on our roster for now:

Wall(pg) - (KPJ), DJ Augustin, Dante Exum
    KPJ(sg) - Ego, Jaygup, Armini Brooks, Thomas
    Jalen Green/Tate(sf) - DHouse, Nwana, (Garuba), Lamb
    Wood(pf) - KMJ, Garuba, (tate)
    Theis(c) - Al P, (wood)

Needless to say, at present our sg position are way too crowded, in contrast to that, pg/pf/c positions looks a little bit anemic, therefor before regular or around mid-season an enforcement to those positions through sign/trade would be much needed.
    till now stone has done a great job by landing 4 much talented kids, but he gotta keep his nose to the grindstone n aware there're piles of work awaiting him to do.

#26 DeBeards, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    mike2k132 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is my starting 5 as well to start the season

I think by end of year it will be
    KPJ
    Green
    Tate
    Wood
    Sengun

a la rockets likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Since this is a thread about line ups I'm hoping that in a few years we have a full time 3 guard rotation of Green, KPJ and Christopher. That's my dream scenario with each getting starter minutes.

burlesk and Corrosion like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then add a max player or two to a finals team in free agency. I like that timeline.

burlesk likes this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Best one yet i like this lets go with it.

burlesk, Joe Rocket and ISO like this.
  11. ISO

ISO Member

I think realistically Wall/Gordon/House will be here till the trade deadline. It will be easier to trade EG and House. Next year is when we will be able to trade Wall.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Also forgot Nwaba, he’s going to get minutes at the start of the year.

Wall/KPJ/Tate/Wood/Theis (hate this but we might have to live with it for awhile)

Green/Gordon/Nwaba/Augustin/Christopher/Kmj/Sengun

we have too many guys, but everything makes sense when you trade Wall and Gordon

1-KPJ/Christopher
    2-Green/Nwaba/Thomas
    3-Tate/Thomas/Nwaba/Garuba
    4-Wood/Garuba
    5-Sengun/Theis

D-rock likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I think having Tate start with Wood is a huge mistake. Lack of size and rebounding would destroy us each and every Night. Wood needs a rim protector next to him not an undersized small foward.

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm a huge Sengun fan from before he was drafted and even I did not think he could start right away.

Not just because of talent but because of communication (needs to learn English) and fit, specifically alongside Wood.

But I'm seriously reevaluating that now too.

His defense could be good enough already but we'll have to see in preseason.

SL is really not the best barometer but DAMMMMM this kid can flat out play, on both sides of the ball.

And doing everything off instincts and BBIQ because he sure as hell not understanding JC chatter on defense.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

To start the season, assuming everyone is healthy:

Wall / Gordon
    KPJ / Nwaba
    Green / Tate
    Wood / Garuba
    Theis / Sengun

Ideally, though?

KPJ / Christopher
    Green / Gordon (6th man)
    Tate / KMJ
    Wood / Sengun (6th man)
    Theis / Garuba

I think Theis starting, with Sengun coming off the bench, benefits the team. I get that Sengun will probably surpass Theis sooner rather than later, but Theis represents a gritty, tough defensive anchor that Sengun just isn't, yet.

When Wood sits, Sengun can come in and be an offensive option that Theis isn't. Meanwhile, Garuba playing in the second unit with Sengun means Sengun doesn't have to go all out on defense.

burlesk, MGC and mike2k132 like this.
  16. ballgame

ballgame Member

Seems nice but you forgot DJ Augustine. I don't see Wall being bought out and you need a couple of Vets to lead the way. We need the EG's and the DJ Augustine's type

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

What I would like to happen is very different from what I think will happen to start the year.

Here's what I think Coach will do to start the year:

Wall/KPJ/
    Green/Gordon
    Tate/Nwaba
    Wood/House/KMJ
    Theis/Sengun

I don't expect Augustin to play except for if there are extreme injury. I think Wall/Gordon/Wood will all miss significant time due to injury and rest. That will give guys like KMJ plenty of minutes. I think Christopher/Garuba/Khyri will be in the g league getting reps until more minutes open up after moving on from Wall/Gordon/House/Augustin

That's what I think WILL happen to start. I would prefer we just play the young guys though.

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I forgot kmj!

My Ideal rotation after trades* is:

1. KPJ/Christopher
    2. Green/Nwaba/Christopher/Thomas
    3. Tate/Kmj/Nwaba
    4. Wood/Kmj/Garuba*
    5. Sengun/Theis

*Trades may net us some solid vet rotation players.

*Im not ready to plug Garuba in as a solid rotation guy until I see him play

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

By adding Theis, gives me young Celtics vibes with Tatum and Brown.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

we gonna get killed if tate your pf