1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s your 1B choice?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by whiskeyred, Nov 14, 2022.

?

Who’s your 1B choice?

1. Anthony Rizzo

34 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Josh Bell

15 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Yuli Gurriel

35 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. Jose Abreu

86 vote(s)
    48.3%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Korey Lee, Enoli Paredes, Corey Julks, Cristian Gonzalez, and Alex Santos

For Nate Lowe and Jonah Heim.

2. HTown2017Champs

I would love Lowe. All-fields hitter, one of the better scoopers at first, sneaky fast for a tall 1B, and still-untapped power in his large frame. However, I think Heim is a bit overrated. Struggled to finish the year, and he's already low-key getting up in age (will turn 28 next year). In the past, the Rangers were steadfast against trading with us, but perhaps the new GM is not that way.
    I'd see if Luis Santana, Tyler Whitaker and either Paredes or Blake Taylor would do it.

Nook likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Answered.

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gave him about $10M more than I would likely have offered but it’s not my money. Abreu is gonna mash next season.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was sure he was going to get 18-20 million a year. Just thought it was for 2 years. Still a bargain if he mantains what he did this last year which was a slight down year.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Wouldn’t surprise me to see some reinvigoration coming to a contender.

We essentially picked JV off the trash heap iirc. Did him a world of good.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Are there any player/team/mutual options on Abreu's deal?

8. Jeremy Williams

Not that have been disclosed

Astrodome likes this.
  9. Yordan The Great

But you were hoping for $18 million in your projection, so you're all the way down to $10 million per in regards to what you wish we would have paid?

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would have been happy with $36M/2yrs. But I would have wanted the 3rd year to be at a lower rate. So $50M/3yrs would have been a good value. $10M isn’t a huge gap so it’s not like this contract is terrible, especially when considering what Rizzo got and how they are securing the asset early. Much like the Montero deal, they are slightly overpaying to have the certainty of the deal being done before the meetings next week (in addition to getting the player they really wanted).

Joe Joe and The Beard like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Even if you don't extrapolate for the short 2020 season, he has average 3.5 bWAR per season the past 3 years. (5.1 bWAR if you do)

Also consider his reputation as a great teammate and person along with the strong need the team had and competition to get him.

He can mentor Yainer if he makes the team and b the plan is to transition him to 1B/DH.

He would really need to fall off for this to be considered a bad signing in my eyes.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There is risk but I believe it’s mostly in that 3rd year. Most likely it’ll be a fair signing. There’s not too much upside that he will dramatically outperform. But it is extremely unlikely to be so bad it has a meaningful impact on their ability to continue to compete and complete their roster over the next few years.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are excited because of his power potential. They have been bullish on his long-term power potential coupled with his natural ability to hit.

The last couple of years his power has started to emerge, he hit like 17 homers in under 100 games in 2020 and last year he hit 25 homers in around 100 games. His power plays well against high velocity for power as well. He did very well against guys with better stuff, which is part of why they like his bat a lot. With the signing of Abreu, they have basically blocked him unless he takes catching serious or is so good with the bat that he forces the issue.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Are they ballsy enough to bring him up as the backup C with some scattered AB's at DH?

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I would have said yes before they were talking to back up catchers.

They have spoke to Alfaro, Navaez, Zunino and Hedges.... and obviously Contreras.

That sounds like for now they intend to get a veteran. I think if Diaz rakes in AAA (and I expect he will after a slow start), then they may change it up some. They have just been adamant about him being a catcher. I know they were pissed that he didn't even try to throw anyone out in AAA because he wanted to play another position. Supposedly he has shown more focus and effort in WL but we will see. He did block the plate well at AAA from what I have been told.

Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty much in line with this post assuming $9M/WAR for 2023. Considering the Astros talent and depth, having a 2025 salary projected to be a $10M overpay is practically nothing considering he fits in a position that the Astros had nothing in 2023 before the signing. Once Rizzo signed, the Astros were down to Abreu and Contreras as FAs that could fit as good starters without taking away too many PAs from others.

I'm still hoping for Contreras and Brantley.

Snake Diggit likes this.