1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

White US Soldier Sentenced for Cowardly Murder of 16 Civilians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 23, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Gee, I hope I'm doing this right.

Robert Bales Gets Life Without Parole for Afghan Massacre
    http://news.yahoo.com/robert-bales-...-massacre-191405507--abc-news-topstories.html

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will have no chance at parole as he spends the rest of his life in prison for the murder of 16 Afghan civilians last year, a jury decided today.

Bales was sentenced to life in prison without release by a jury at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Fort Lewis, Wash., according to the Associated Press.

Bales, 39, pleaded guilty to the murders in June and confessed to the crimes in order to avoid the death penalty.

The U.S. Army soldier spoke to the jury Thursday, calling the massacre an "act of cowardice" and asking jury members for leniency in his sentence.

Bales said he conducted the March 2012 late-night attack in which he slaughtered men, women and children "behind a mask of fear ... and bravado."

"I'm truly, truly sorry to those people whose families got taken away," he said.

Defense lawyers tried to depict Bales as a loving father affected by post-traumatic stress disorder after multiple tours in Afghanistan, and a traumatic head injury. The soldier's brother, and an old friend, former pro footballer Marc Edwards, testified on his behalf.

"There's no better father that I've seen," William Bales, 55, said of his younger brother. "If you brought the kids in here today, they'd run right to him."

Bales has never denied leaving Camp Belambay in Kandahar province and walking by himself to two neighboring villages where he fired on locals with a 9mm pistol and an M4 rifle.

When the judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, asked Bales why he carried out the rampage, Bales said: "I've asked that question a million times, and there is not a good reason in the world for the horrible things I did."

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm surprised at this sentence.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How so?

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Can we please stop with the race thing already?

1 person likes this.
  5. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Why didn't he get a life sentence for each life he took?

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Multiple life sentences are done to decrease chances of parole. Since he already has life without parole, what's the point?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]Defense lawyers tried to depict Bales as a loving father affected by post-traumatic stress disorder after multiple tours in Afghanistan, and a traumatic head injury. The soldier's brother, and an old friend, former pro footballer Marc Edwards, testified on his behalf.[/rquoter]

He did a terrible, terrible thing, but I can't not feel some sympathy for him and his family. It sounds like the act of a very sick person who should have never been placed in that position.

8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

That Hasan idiot was charged for each murder and attempted murder.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Hasan didn't plead guilty. Bales did. I'm not sure why people are conflating the two right now given that very reason.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Bales was charged with seventeen counts of murder and six counts of assault and attempted murder. The charges are comparable. When they come back with the sentence for Hasan, we can compare those. I'm betting they won't give him 13 death sentences.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Is this where the whites come in and get all up in arms saying race wasn't a factor, attack the OP and divert the story of a whacked out white who needs the death penalty?

Am I doing it right?

15. Raven

Raven Member

If by that you mean you have allowed trolls to drag you down to their level, making political discussion even more toxic, yes, you are doing it right.

16. itstheyear3030

Honestly, I am too. Was the prosecution's case so weak that they felt they needed to offer a plea deal? I think there's something else going on here. PTSD or not, this is the type of crime that at least carries the threat of the death penalty.

17. itstheyear3030

Hasan wasn't given the option of pleading guilty. So the real question is: why the disparate treatment?

18. itstheyear3030

*in exchange for removing the possibility of the death penalty.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you really this ignorant?

Racism derives from a superiority/Inferiority complex. There are those who hate a race simply because of their color, regardless of the person. Then there are those who simply distrust a person from a particular race due to bad experiences.

Its a little arrogant to pretend you are better than this individual. What he did was absolutely wrong and he deserves the death penalty. But to pretend you can go on a couple tours in Afghanistan and come out perfectly fine is wrong. Feel free to watch your friends die by a certain color, day in and day out. Let mortars rain down on you all day and all night long. Then come back and tell me you wouldn't be 'racist'.

Yes, PTSD is a real thing and it can lead you to do crazy things. And yes, again, its wrong what he has done. I feel bad for the innocent people who have lost their lives and I feel bad for the hell this guy and every soldier goes though. Its pure shame to judge this guy as some back woods racist. What remains is that you are too cowardly to even think about going out and face what these soldiers face, much less pretending you would take high road and doing everything right.

My opinions reflect from close friends and family who have served in the middle east and have come back screwed up from what they have experienced. I have been with a friend who was teetering in the moment of ending his life. It is very personal when people mock PTSD as some lame excuse for an underlying issue. If you commit a crime, regardless of the reason, the person should be held be responsible. Just don't mock the person for what they have gone through.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not typical. I guess this was too egregious to...gloss over.