1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White House to halt deportation of young illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 15, 2012.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

nice going obama...

so, yay? nay?

The White House will halt the deportation of as many as 800,000 young illegal immigrants and in some cases give them work permits, in a sweeping new initiative announced by the Department of Homeland Security. The process will begin sometime in the next 60 days.

People under 30 who entered the country illegally or overstayed their visas when they were under the age of 16 will be immune from deportation if they have not committed a significant misdemeanor or felony and have graduated from a U.S. high school or joined the military. They can apply for a renewable two-year work permit that won't provide a path to citizenship. Applicants will have to prove they've lived in the country for five consecutive years.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told reporters on Friday that she believed the move "is the right thing to do" and will help the agency focus on deporting criminals. "It is not immunity, it is not amnesty," she said. "It is an exercise of discretion so that these young people are not in the removal system."

Young people will have to proactively apply and pay for the temporary legal status at a local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office. If the deferred status is granted, they can apply for a work permit.

"I wouldn't say we are encouraging people to step forward," an Obama administration official told reporters. "We are making a process available and people can make their own decision."

President Barack Obama was to address the change in a speech Friday afternoon.

Young people who were brought into the country illegally or overstayed their visas as children are commonly referred to as "Dreamers," referencing the title of a decade-old bill that would have given them legal status if they joined the military or attended college. The DREAM Act passed the House nearly two years ago but was blocked by Republicans in the Senate. Opponents of the bill have argued that it would encourage more people to enter the country illegally, while supporters say it helps people who were brought up as Americans and whose lack of status is not their fault become full members of society.

President Obama has faced criticism from the crucial Hispanic electorate for ramping up deportations under his tenure and for failing to deliver on his campaign promise to pass comprehensive immigration reform within his first year in office. Several times in the past year, Obama has told Hispanic audiences who asked him why he did not issue an executive order halting deportations of some classes of immigrants that such a move would be legally impossible. "There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply through executive order ignore those congressional mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as President," Obama told one Dreamer who asked him why he couldn't halt young people's deportations in March of 2011.

"We've been hearing all sorts of things from the White House, that it's not legally possible, that it's not politically possible," said Erika Andiola, a 25-year-old Arizona-based Dreamer and advocate who has met with administration officials on the subject. "I can't even believe it. We've been working for this for so long."

The move may generate enthusiasm among many Latinos: 85 percent of registered Latino voters said in a Latino Decisions poll that they support the DREAM Act. The president enjoys a strong lead among Hispanic voters over Mitt Romney, but a lack of enthusiasm among these voters could mean they stay home on Election Day in swing states like Nevada, Colorado and Florida. During the primary, Romney said he would veto the DREAM Act, but in recent weeks he has seemed open to a proposal by Sen. Marco Rubio to grant Dreamers a work permit but not a path to citizenship.

Republicans are criticizing the move as an executive overreach. "This decision avoids dealing with Congress and the American people instead of fixing a broken immigration system once and for all," wrote Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of the few congressional Republicans who supports immigration reform.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...ation-young-illegal-immigrants-133800284.html

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. False

False Member

By that token, anything and everything is politically driven. This sentiment is akin to "it is what it is" - it means nothing. I applaud this move by the president. Too many of these kids, and they are kids in the end, didn't have any avenues to any type of status simply because their parents chose to come to the United States to pursue work. Even deferred adjudication is a step up from being illegal, though the only real substantive right deferred adjudication offers is work authorization and temporary reprieve from fear of deportation so long as the executive branch chooses to continue the status. This has the added benefit of encouraging people to come forward from the shadows and get registered in the system. The benefits of deferred adjudication are a far cry from the original DREAM Act as contemplated by Democrats and is more akin to Marco Rubio's plan because they do not get on the path to legal status, but hey, it's better than nothing.

To those complaining about the legislative process being subverted, shut it, the executive branch has power to enforce the law including prioritizing who they wish to deport this is what all executive agencies charged with enforcing do every single day. To have a system that required congressional approval over every action would be absurd and would effectively destroy the administrative state and in addition it would call into question constitutional separation of powers. This is simply a more forceful urging of the prior DHS memorandum on prosecutorial discretion issued in the previous year.

4. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Posted this in the other thread...but figured it was worth a repost here:

1. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (as with all other executive agencies) is granted prosecutorial discretion to use their "best judgment" in deciding which cases to prioritze.

2. On a case-by-case basis, the ICE office can legally grant "deferred action" status by either not executing an individual's order of removal or by not putting the individual into removal proceedings.

3. Illegal immigrants that have been granted "deferred action" status (as well those who have received orders of removal awaiting deportation) can legally apply for a work permit while still in the country.

Kind of a sneaky way for the administration to implement a policy, but it appears to be legal and constitutional.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yo, President Obama, Ima let you finish, but Mitt Romney has the best immigration policy of all time!

Sam Donaldson must be turning over in his grave.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good. There are a great number of people in this country who are the children of citizens of the United States, who have siblings who are citizens of the United States, but who happened to be born in another country, and brought to the United States very young, often as an infant, who often speak no other language but English, have never been to their "place of birth," and who have been in great danger of deportation to a country they know next to nothing about.

This was long overdue.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw where someone wanted this to become law.
    How does that look?

Would that mean . . . If someone comes in illegally at 15 [Now]
    then manages to evade arrest for 5 years . .then gets a diploma . .
    then they would be covered by this act?

If this was law . . this would be the ongoing process and policy?

Rocket River

8. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

No more arguments from you about process?

...although I'll admit I was surprised to find that there are legal channels by which illegal immigrants can be granted a work permit.

9. basso

Supporting Member

Children of citizens are citizens, regardless of where they were born.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I made the mistake of looking at this post, so I'll make the mistake of replying. Yes, those children exist. Lots and lots of them. How is that possible? Easy. Their parent(s) becomes a citizen of the United States legally after the infant was born in the other country. The parent(s) has other children here, in this country, who are citizens. Yet that child born in "fill in the blank" remains illegal. It is absurd. It is beyond absurd. And if you can't figure that out, I pity you.

11. basso

Supporting Member

The minor children of naturalized citizens are also citizens, regardless of where those children were born.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Show me the law.

13. basso

Supporting Member

Lastly, some minor children of naturalized U.S. citizens may mistakenly believe that they may not be U.S. citizens. However, when parents become naturalized citizens, their kids with green cards will also acquire American citizenship. This is true because children under the age of 18 cannot usually apply to become citizens through the naturalization process.

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/u-s-citizenship-through-parents-or-by-birth.html

14. Major

Major Member

As long as you're under 18 when at least one parent becomes a citizen, you automatically become a citizen as well. If you're over 18, you have to apply separately on your own, though.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting. So some folks I do not know spent a hell of a lot of money on attorneys for nothing? I find that hard to believe, because the person I don't know that actually spent the money is a very smart guy. I think something is missing here, but thanks for an actual reply with a link and everything. It was refreshing. Now, if you would only stop posting nonsensical threads constantly in D&D, we might be able to have a conversation.

Thanks, Major. That's what threw basso and I off. While the child in question had all that happen, allegedly, she/he is over 18. There is the problem. I hope this new action removes that problem, which is more widespread than many believe. The link basso posted is good info, however. I think there are people here that think they are illegal, but are afraid to find out one way or another, thinking that bringing attention to themselves will get them a ticket across the border.

#15 Deckard, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  16. basso

Supporting Member

to paraphrase Sportin' Life, it take expert to naturalize someone who is already a citizen.

And to your last point:

Generally, ad hominem attacks are not conducive to constructive dialog.
    Perhaps this threw you off. In my mind, minor children means "under 18" and i expect this is a fairly commonplace usage.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't worry... I still pity you.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Obama shoring up the Hispanic vote -- excellent political move.

1 person likes this.
  19. False

False Member

I agree, while Republicans like Rubio propose a very similar policy as part of their election year platform, Obama just goes out and does it leaving them with nothing to stand on.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Romney shifted way to the right on immigration in the primary. Obama pulling this move now, forces Mitt to stay in the bed that he made for himself. Romney had wanted to move more to the center for the general election, and this prevents that.

Smart politics.