1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White America Has Lost It's Mind

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Pretty entertaining piece from the Voice, too long to post it all but here is a nice outtake, and I recommend giving it a full read...

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-09-29/news/white-america-has-lost-its-mind/

I tend to agree with the general premise and we see evidence of it here in the postings of the usual suspects.

Discuss...

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've been bat***** insane for years, but politics and who is in the White House has absolutely zero to do with it.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

did Lebron James write this article?

1 person likes this.
  4. mc mark

mc mark Member

Oops! wrong thread!

5. Depressio

Depressio Member

Good stuff. A good chronicle of the most egregious acts of stupidity that has been sending people into a frenzy.

6. Qball

Qball Member

"That first n**** better watch out"
    - Dave Chappelle

<embed src="http://www.goldmic.com/videos/watch.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" flashvars="xv=34340&xa=0&xr=1" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="326" id="goldmicvideo" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I only read the first page of the piece but it sounds as divisive as what it it is criticizing. While there is certainly a racial aspect towards criticism of Obama I don't think all criticism is racially based while tarring White America as a whole is painting with a very very broad brush. Lets not forget that many of those white boomers that the author criticizes also voted for Obama.

8. bnb

bnb Member

I somehow doubt Hillary, Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards (before his self destruction) , or any other democrat would have had an easier ride in this economic and political climate...

which is actually pretty sad.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

As a white boomer who voted for Obama I don't disagree with you, although the writer is speaking euphemistically. Maybe reading "white America" in quotes might help.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

We'll give you Condoleezza Rice and Allen Keyes for Obama. Deal?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

How about pro-choice, anti-Afghan War, "vote against us in the midterms" Michael Steele instead?

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

it's ALWAYS a good idea to divide by race. what could possibly go wrong?

I can't even imagine the freak out factor if someone wrote an article titled, "Black America Has Lost Its Mind."

Can we stop with all that, now? A bajillion white dudes (me, included) voted for President Obama. Getting by valid criticism by throwing back race is tiring. His popularity numbers are waning...so it must be racism!!! No, it must be the economy, stupid. Democrats taught me that. Doesn't matter if you're doing everything right...if the economy sucks, your numbers will lag. Even if you're from White America.

13. Qball

Qball Member

I'm pretty sure there is a difference is saying "Obama is treated differently because of race" and "All white people are racists". If you're white, your probably thinking that the author means the latter (and with good reason). Painting with a broad stroke is dangerous and ignorant. I've seen it first-hand.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Not only is the article race baiting, it's counterproductive.

:(

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Are we now giving the racially based elements of the Tea Party a pass now? I have seen many excorciate them on this site and this article speaks directly to it. I acknowledge it is presented in an inflammatory way, but hey, it's from the Village Voice.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know it's not fair to paint one group of people with such a broad stroke but I'll bet I can go to local grocery store, movie theater or any other public place right now and pick out the people who hate Obama with about 80%+ accuracy. It's not that hard.

17. Raven

Raven Member

And they would say they can pick out Obama supporters with the same degree of accuracy, which only proves how self defeating those kind of arguments can be. There's a difference between being tough and being ugly, one is necessary for politics, the other almost always ends in defeat.

Attack bad ideas, but never attack the voters.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It would be interesting to see the percentage of white Houstonians 50 years and older who didn't vote for Obama. I'm guessing it's 90%+.

If they're from the south and they're old, they probably didn't vote for the black guy. If they drive a truck, then that doubles the odds they didn't vote for the black guy.

Just my observations. Nothing scientific, obviously.

19. Raven

Raven Member

It would be interesting to see the percentage of Black Houstonians who didn't vote for McCain. I'm guessing it's 90%+. See how this line of thinking accomplishes nothing?

Focus on the issues, and stop attacking voters.

:)

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

From boing boing:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfuwNU0jsk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfuwNU0jsk0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>