1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whinning Waaaaagner

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BSW, Jan 14, 2004.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Could he whine anymore?

Wags: 'They don't like me' :rolleyes:
    Former Astros closer Billy Wagner thought he was traded to the Phillies after last season as a cost-cutting measure. But since the Astros have signed pitchers Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte, Wagner now thinks he was traded because he was an outspoken critic of owner Drayton McLane for not making a big move last season, when Houston was battling for the NL Central title. "When I was traded it was my understanding it was financial and then they get Clemens and Pettitte for double what I was making," said Wagner, who will make $8 million next season. "Instead, they got rid of me because they don't like me."

Do you think he would have been here if he would kept his mouth shut?

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Come on, Wags! Your role on the team isn't as important as your acting like it should have been or making it out to be. Your a closer and we all know Dotel can do your job. So, why do we need you at $8 million? Of course, opening your trap like you did didn't help you any. You shouldn't tell people what's going to happen to you before they have indicated it first. Your nowhere near being in the same class as Pettitte and Clemens. Who does this guy think he is? All he's got is that damn 100 mph fastball which usually works out but can be a problem. A lot of players prefer to hit fastballs. Good luck on your new team! LOL

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It wasn't a cost cutting move, it was an improving cost effectiveness. Why pay 8 mill for one closer when you can pay 15 mill for 2 hall of fame starters.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man it would have been nice to have Wags to go along with our top of the line rotation

5. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

can't have em all I guess

we got 2 damn good starters out of the deal though

dotel's effectiveness remains to be seen, but I think he'll notch 25-30 saves this year with the rest as a committee approach.

6. Moiz.Hafeez

Moiz.Hafeez Member

You knew it was coming... Wags was mad because we didn't make that push for Woody Williams and now we acquire 2 pitchers who are better. I guess he's just feeling a little bitter.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Bottom line...WAGNER GAVE UP THE ASS TOO OFTEN IN GAME SITUATIONS!

8. Moiz.Hafeez

Moiz.Hafeez Member

???

44 saves... only 3 BS

9. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I can't hate really hate on Wagner because he said what most of us were thinking at the time. The Astros were only a push away from the playoffs and everyone knew it. I enjoyed hearing Wagner speak up because it seemed like nobody else in the clubhouse could care less.

He is probably right in the fact Drayton didn't like him. But whether he was liked or not has little to do with the fact that he had to be traded in order to afford Pettite.

I can't help but wonder....If we could have traded Hidalgo's 12+2 million dollar salary, would Wagner still be here?

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I feel bad for the guy. He was one of our best players last year, so it's sad to see him go. I'd be pissed too if the Astros didn't acquire some pitchers until after I was gone. That sucks that he was here the last several years, and now when we have our best shot at goin' far in the playoffs, he's not not here to be a part of it with the 'Stros. That's just crappy that they finally spent $$$ and after he was gone.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Wagner hadn't made those comments I think he would still be in an Astro uniform. I like Dotel but I don't see Lidge being as good as Dotel in the 8th ining setup spot. Dotel was lights out in that role to set up Wagner now Dotel needs that same type of player to set him up for saves.

12. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Thing is, Wags understands the cost-effectiveness thing. From this ESPN article :

13. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

You would think he would be glad to leave Houston. Over the years in interviews he has taken a few shots at the city & the fans. Nothing controversial but enough to give the impression he doesn’t have a high regard for 'Stros fans.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

BSW...might you also be known as Bstros from Astros Daily?

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...Unfortunately, he was making too much money for the upgraded we needed to win it all...Kinda sad...

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, it was a cost cutting move, Billy!

The Astros were able to afford Pettite by getting rid of Wagner's contract, and Clemens' salary will be made up in increased attendance and other sales. If we didn't get Pettite and Clemens, I'm guessing we would still be shopping Hidalgo.

17. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

yup, that is me!

Bstros = BSW

18. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Clemen's $ 3.5 million salary is deferred without interest until 2006. Clemens can make an additional $1.4 million based on attendance, so that amount is made up in (I guess) in the increased ticket sales.

19. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Wags asked for a big move...he got it....haha

20. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Wagner u suck, stop crying cause now u want to be on the Astros