1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

While our economy has cancer will newt issue us divorce papers too?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, Jan 19, 2012.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah and family values in an 'open marriage'???
    hahaha.. I'm a slime ball and even I wouldn't try to pull this...

This is the same guy who was going after clinton at the time?!?!?

Newt Gingrich offered his second wife a choice of an open marriage or a divorce when he revealed to her he was having an affair with the woman he later made his third wife, Marianne Gingrich said in interviews with ABC News and The Washington Post.

A day after he told his wife about his affair with Callista Bisek in May 1999, the former House speaker delivered a speech titled "The Demise of American Culture" to a group of Republican women in Pennsylvania, The Washington Post reported Thursday.
    "How could he ask me for a divorce on Monday and within 48 hours give a speech on family values and talk about how people treat people?" Marianne Gingrich said in her interview with the Post.

Her revelations echo what she told a reporter for an article published in Esquire magazine in August 2010, but it is the first time Marianne Gingrich has talked about it on camera.

ABC News began releasing excerpts of the interview Thursday morning, with a promise of the full interview on the network's "Nightline" program.
    Gingrich: We knew we'd get smeared Jabs between Gingrich, Romney heat up Gingrich: Obama a 'phony president'
    "I said to him 'Newt, we've been married a long time,' and he said 'Yes, but you want me all to yourself. Callista doesn't care what I do,'" Marianne Gingrich said in the clip released by ABC, describing the couple's conversation near the end of their 18-year marriage.

Her husband, who had already left Congress, was asking "that I accept the fact that he has somebody else in his life," Marianne Gingrich said.
    "Oh, he was asking to have an open marriage and I refused," she said.
    She said she rejected his suggestion that they remain married while he keeps a mistress.
    "No, no, that is not a marriage," she said.
    The Esquire article reported that Gingrich asked his wife "to just tolerate the affair."
    Newt Gingrich's marital history is not a new controversy for the Republican presidential candidate. He married Marianne Gingrich, who was a 28-year-old congressional staffer, six months after his divorce from his first wife, Jackie Gingrich, was final.

His presidential campaign has tried to frame the first divorce as something his then-wife wanted, contrary to court documents that indicated she objected to his divorce filing.

Jackie Gingrich has never talked on camera about her marriage. She refused a CNN request for an interview last month.
    Newt Gingrich was asked about the controversy Thursday morning while campaigning in Beaufort, South Carolina, where voters will cast ballots in the GOP primary Saturday.
    "It is an issue that I confront every time it comes up and I confront it exactly the same way every time it comes up and people seem to be satisfied with it," Gingrich said.

When pressed by reporters for a reaction to his second wife's TV interview, he said "I am not going to say anything about Marianne."
    "My two daughters have already written to ABC complaining about this as tawdry and inappropriate," Gingrich said. "Both of my daughters are prepared to speak on the record with any of you who would like to talk to them. Several other people who knew the situation are prepared to speak on the record. I am not getting involved."

The letter to ABC from his daughters from his first marriage, Kathy Lubbers and Jackie Cushman, was released by the Gingrich campaign Wednesday,
    "The failure of a marriage is a terrible and emotional experience for everyone involved," they wrote. "Anyone who has had that experience understands it is a personal tragedy filled with regrets, and sometimes differing memories of events. We will not say anything negative about our father's ex-wife. He has said before, privately and publicly, that he regrets any pain he may have caused in the past to people he loves."

The Gingrich daughters wrote that they were confident South Carolina voters were more interested in what their father has to say "about job creation, lower taxes, and about who can defeat Barack Obama by providing the sharpest contrast to his damaging, extreme liberalism."
    "Our father is running for President because of his grandchildren -- so they can inherit the America he loves," they wrote. "To do that, President Obama must be defeated. And as the only candidate in the race, including Obama, who has actually helped balance the national budget, create jobs, reform welfare, and cut taxes and spending, Newt felt compelled to run -- to serve his country and safeguard his grandchildren's future."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/politics/gingrich-wife/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

what about promising illegal appointments?? ( a felony)

from kos:
    Last night Palin endorsed Gingrich in the South Carolina primary.

If I had to vote in South Carolina, in order to keep this thing going I’d vote for Newt and I would want this to continue”

This afternoon, as a reward for that endorsement, in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer Gingrich promised to give Palin a presidential appointment.

CNN Press Room
    ...I was honored and delighted last night when she said if she were in South Carolina, she’d vote for Newt Gingrich....

...I would ask her to consider taking a major role in the next administration if I’m president...

Clearly Gingrich is sending the message to all the other top-level GOP celebrities, that no matter how unqualified you are, that if you are willing to help him win the South Carolina primary, you too will be rewarded with a presidential appointment.

Johnny, tell our candidate what that promise earns him. Well, Newt for that clear violation of 18 U.S.C. § 599 you've earned yourself two years in jail (unless the violation was unintentional, in which case it's only a single year in jail).

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 29 > § 599
    § 599. Promise of appointment by candidate

Whoever, being a candidate, directly or indirectly promises or pledges the appointment, or the use of his influence or support for the appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Maybe we can get santorums wife to date some more abortion doctors.

And then there is McBain capital and the .000001 %

WOW GOP is a total mess.

At least ron paul wants to stop all the chickenhawking..

GOP GOP GOP

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To be fair, Gingrich had to do it, you can't into the GOP nomination contest nowadays without a blonde white woman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, we've got "government out of marriage" ostriches, so I guess I'll be the press out of personal lives guy. I really don't want this broad's hurt feelings in a national newspaper.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hypocrisy in the GOP?!

Inconceivable!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Newt slapped down CNN's moderator in tonight's debate when he brought up the interview. Called everything she said "garbage " and "lies" Nice to see him throwing his family under the bus.

6. Classic

Classic Member

dude is trash. Go away already.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I can't agree. This is an important job we're filling and I don't consider anything at all to be off limits. His divorces say something about his character and it's worth a look at. If he doesn't want people to talk about it, maybe he shouldn't run for president.

I don't like what all it implies about his character. It (along with everything else we know about him) paints him as egomaniacal, disloyal and untrustworthy. Compare to a real family values candidate, President Obama, who looks in every way like a loving husband and a loving father without the faintest whisper of impropriety.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I applaud Newt for finally coming clean about his affair and considering the concept of an open marriage, but ideally he should have been honest with himself about it from the start and not lied to her. And giving her the ultimatum of "let me do what I want or I'm filing for divorce" was kind of a d1ckhead move. Anyway, obviously in personal matters Newt is kind of a turd. It just bugs me when people tie the idea/concept of marriage to having "values". They really don't have anything to do with each other.

9. JuanValdez

Can you explain? Or define "values" here? The way I understand the conservative obsession of 'family values', it is a moral code in which you highly regard the cohesion of the family -- that you want marriages to be strong and for parents to raise children to be successful and productive. In this regard, lying to your spouse, breaking the promises you made to her, raising your children in a broken home, and generally being a jerk to the people who are closest to you does seem to go against the grain of family cohesion, at least. Maybe I could appreciate an argument that it doesn't matter for the presidency (though I'd disagree), but to say it's not a 'values' issue at all befuddles me.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Whether you're married or not doesn't mean you have more or less values than anybody else. Lying to people and stuff like that says more about your values. You can be married and be a total slimeball, or have multiple partners and be eternally single and be the most morally upstanding person on the planet.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

surprised it took people this long to attack his personal life. It's an ace in the whole that i figured would be played later rather than sooner. I don't know all the situations concerning his divorce and honestly what guy wouldn't mind his wife sleep with other women...but they make for great headlines

Newt's a weird case, i'm not really a fan but at times I find myself agreeing with him whenever I would catch a interview or tv appearance. I don't think he would make a bad president really, but I also don't think he's electable.

12. JuanValdez

I see, you're objecting to the prerequisite that a man be married at all. I mostly agree. But Newt, married or not, is still a man of low moral character. :)

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I tend not to care that much about how people handle "matters of the heart" when it comes to my voting. But in certain circumstances it can sway me. Mostly if someone says one thing and does another, i.e., "do as I say, not as I do." If someone is a turd in their personal life, I'm not nearly as bothered by it unless they put themselves out there as some kind of paragon of moral authority.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the issue for me isnt so much the fact that he cheated on his wife(s) - its the hypocrisy wrt to clinton-lewinsky. gingrich was front and center on that scandal, calling out clinton for the affair while he himself was having one. he got up there and made an issue out of someone elses personal 'affair' while he was engaged in the same behavior. makes him totally uncredible in my book.

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I love what one GOP person said "Do we really want an 8 year mistress/w**** as our First Lady?"

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You know you live in a f'd up world when two women are fighting over Newt.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Its only wrong if you are President.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No argument, but part of being married is not having/lying about other partners. As with all instances where this comes up regarding moralizing hypocrite douchecanoes, the two are intrinsically linked.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally don't care about whether a politician is faithful to his wife or not. What bothers me though is when you are going to excoriate your political enemies for character and values issues while you are doing the same thing yourself. What also bothers me is when you know what you have done, everyone knows what you have done, and you play victim.

Gingrich and the GOP criticized the Clintons when they talked about a vast Right Wing Conspiracy of media and pundits but now Gingrich angrily denounces a vast conspiracy of media and pundits out to get him and the many in the GOP are applauding him for it.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Then Obama should bother your very soul.