1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which young guys will stick around?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 15, 2021.

?

Who's good enough to contribute and will stick around?

1. Khyri Thomas

76 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. Porter Jr.

101 vote(s)
    93.5%
  3. Jea'Sean Tate

101 vote(s)
    93.5%
  4. Kenyon Martin Jr.

101 vote(s)
    93.5%
  5. Wood

81 vote(s)
    75.0%
  6. Cameron Oliver

26 vote(s)
    24.1%
  7. DJ Wilson

18 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Lamb

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Armoni Brooks

68 vote(s)
    63.0%
  10. Cam Reynolds

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

So let's say Tilman allows us to rebuild, something we would finally get to see after being denied the pleasure of watching a team of young guys grow together similar to the 83-87 Rockets. Granted you need luck, but still. To me it can be exciting even if the team never really wins big, just to have some guys around for a few years to help that #1 / #2 pick or several high picks grow into a solid team that might do something special.

So that being said, who's the guys for you that you see sticking around? I've seen very little, but based on the early part of the season, stats and what I've read I think we have 3 who are definite keepers, while a few others have the potential to be contributors to a team that can win and maybe even contend, but question remains if they will be around or not.

Locks to stick around and contribute:

1. Wood - He has some question marks, but we've got him for the next few years and he's doing some great things to at least be able to contribute with the right guys around him to compensate. We already have one in the 2nd guy.

2. Tate - He's not a rookie, this guy is like Cassell to me. A grown, mature man who happens to be a rookie. He's shown enough to know he can be a starter and continue to grow as a 3 or a 4.

3. Kenyon Martin Jr. - This guy is not just a high flyer, he can shoot and has major upside and I think with his dad's genes / upbringing / attitude he will work hard and only get better.

Potential and will be around

1. Khyri Thomas - this one might be easy to call based on his contract, but he seems solid enough to be a good PG at least to come off the bench for us. I just see him sticking around.

Potential but won't be around

1. Porter Jr - He's got skills, but I just don't him working out. Too many red flags and I think he's the kind of guy you use to trade up if he has convinced some teams he will be something special. I don't see him being that special, he's going to get his 30, 40, 50 points at times, but ultimately I don't think you should bank on a guy like that making it. So I see him either not working out or being used in a trade.

2. Armoni Brooks - He's a 3pt bomber, but we've seen those come and go and haven't seen enough of the rest of his game to really judge him. But based on history, I just think he's the kind of guy who will bounce around the league.

As I mentioned, I didn't watch that many games and not even highlights to make a fair judgment so really looking forward to who you guys sticking around and why :)

Kevooooo and Shark44 like this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

Wood and Gordon packaged together would have a nice return. For what depends on the draft.

BamBam likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wood, Porter , Martin, and brooks.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we keep Wood I hope he won't end up as an injury prone player like Fuller was. His ankle sprain issues worry me a little. He missed a lot of games this year. Hard to know really.

Williamson, saleem and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really didn't watch enough games this year to make a judgement, but I see a lot of potential in a few of these young guys to have hope. Now we just need a really good draft.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

All of them except maybe Lamb, Wilson, Oliver and Reynolds. I don’t think Lamb’s playing style is compatible with the main guys and I am not sure he is athletic enough to survive in the NBA. I like Wilson but he is probably too small for a 4, but at the right price I do not oppose to keeping him. Haven’t seen enough of Oliver and Reynolds so I will reserve my judgement.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOLLLLLL

Another cleverly disguised jab at KPJ!! Love it. Will be fun showing off these receipts in the future.

"too many red flags" :rolleyes:

rockbox, Bo6, bloodwings19 and 4 others like this.
  8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

yea let’s get rid of a guy that showed the most upsides and showed flashes of superstardom because ......... someone on cf said something about red flags. People are genius on this forum lol

rockbox, saleem and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's keep giving away our best players.

TF has infected CF.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Typical…and weird.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

I love all of them, but we've been conditioned by Morey to not get attached.

Hell, we moved on QUICK from Chris Paul and Russel Westbrook.... We'd have died for them pre-Harden years.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is a good topic and honestly I like a lot of these kids because they're scrappy.

Disagree with you on Porter and Brooks. Porter is only 20 and has so much potential, he started to realize what he could do in the G-League and then had to deal with fitting in with Wall once he came up. He's far from a finished product, but damn if we can harness his upside, he could be an All-Star.

Brooks was a pure 3pt sniper when he came up, but with more playing time he's starting to take advantage of people over playing him and he's been playing hard on defense. His kind of shooting ability is elite and if we don't keep him, someone else will develop him. Pulling for my UofH brother to hang on and grow with us.

This summer is really important to all of the young folk's development. You know papa Kenyon is going to have his son working on a few things, and if the rest of these kid's work on their weaknesses next year will be a lot of fun.

JW86 and saleem like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I totally forgot about DJ Wilson lol.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You never forget the guy who works the turn tables.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

I agree John Collins would be ideal. Wood and Gordon would get close to the price point in a sign and trade. One must give to get. As stated earlier nice return but let wait till the draft to see where we are as far as core/need.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Who said anything about giving them away? They are trade chips. Wood is decent, but he’s nothing to build around, Gordon has no place on a rebuild.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm sure he will throw chimichangas at someone by then

arabrocket likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Last 12 games
    Olynyk (11 games): 32.7 mins...21.5 pts...9.5 rebs....6.5 Ast....2.2 stls....36.0% (3P%)....

Last 12 games:
    Kenyon Martin jr (12 games): 33.7 mins....16.3 pts....7.1 rebs....2.0 Ast....0.9 stls.....42.9% (3P%).....
    Last 11 games:
    Kenyon Martin jr (11 games): 34.7 mins.....17.4 pts...7.5 rebs....2.2 Ast....1.0 stls.....42.6% (3P%)....

Khyri Thomas (5 games): 30.6 mins..........16.4 pts.....3.6 rebs....5.0 Ast....1.8 stls....33.3% (3P%)....

Rockets clinched worst record May 10th. Now Rockets are truly running Silas system lately.....
    just saying......maybe?

fattz likes this.
  19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Young Players with great potential shown in the current season, which should be on the team mostly next season.
    NWBA, BROWN, LAMB, BROOKS, THOMAS, MARTIN, PORTER JR., TATE, WOOD, OLIVER and REYNOLDS.
    OLDER PLAYERS good enough for next season AUGUSTIN and OLYNYK
    Older players who should be traded away if possible :- WALL, HOUSE, GORDON, EXUM, BRADLEY
    Yetti

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

KJM is the only guy who is both legitimately young and good

KPJ is young with potential but he’s an inefficient scorer

Wood/Tate are good but 25

Brooks/Oliver have some potential, are 23/34

Lamb/Wilson are cuts

Reynolds is unknown

chadyang likes this.