1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which TNT announcer do you prefer, Marv Albert or Kevin Harlan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cshen, Apr 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. cshen

cshen Member

I like watching JVG doing the analysis for ABC/ESPN. But when it comes to announcers, i prefer TNT's announcing team.

Both Marv and Kevin are excellent announcers in my opinion.

I love Marv's passion but prefer Kevin's voice.

What do you guys think?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i like them both really I grew up listening to Marv on NBC

Harlan is great as well with his expressions and all.

i think both of them are at the top of their craft i could listen to either of them.

but tnt needs to get their color person properly

its should be marv and mike they are great together tell reggie miller to GTFO

and i dont care for doug collins either (though he isnt the worst he didnt seem to be that insightful really and always says the same thing)

now if it was marv/mike and then kevin and jvg that would be fun to watch

3. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I like them both equally...I though can not stand PJ Carlisimo(sp.). TNT should higher Gus Johnson.. I would love to hear him at the end of these Celtics-Bulls games.

4. Asian Sensation

They both sound the same to me :confused:

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Me too. I guess Marv gets the nod from me just because of the glory years of the NBA on NBC.

That, plus his biting commentary.... :D :D :D :D :D

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

no poll?

come on... ;)

but kevin i guess. marv is always mumbling things these days..i have no idea what he is talking bout.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As much as i like Marv Albert, i gotta give the nod to Kevin Harlan.

Nothing in this world beats Harlan's hyperbole. The game that Ben Gordon dropped 42 in the Bulls/Celtics series Harlan said something like "oh he's ON FIRE, BEN GORDON'S GOT A FLAMETHROWER!!!". It was just so over the top, i couldn't stop laughing.

8. Asian Sensation

These guys are both 2nd to announcing extraordinaire that is BILL WALTON. If you like hyperbole it doesn't get better than Bill. If you want Hakeem man love praise Bill's got you. Funny, entertaining and goofy with the cheesy buck teeth smile. It doesn't get any better than "Throw it downnnnnn big man throw it down. One time throw it down! "

Best trio ever would be Walton, JVG and either Marv or Harlan.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought i was the only one.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Both are great. Kevin gets the edge now for gems like 'He just sucked the gravity out of the building' or the instant classic 'With no regard for human life!'

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

give me everything yoyo said.. Marv and Mike, Kevin and JVG.. either combo is great. And I'm torn between Marv and Kevin--they're the only 2 national pbp guys I like, but my early years were listening to Marv on NBC.

12. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Marv is just your standard historic announcer but kevin harlen is the guy you want commentating if you have a huge dunk or big time basket...his voice is just awesome

13. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I loved Doug Collins screaming "What is he doing?!?!" last night then just laughing.

I wish Collins would replace Mark Jackson in their little trio.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I say Marv Albert since everyone always credits him with anything cool that Kevin Harlan says anyway. BTW, they don't really sound that much alike.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

man, this may sound ridiculous, but you don't realize how big a part of the total game viewing experience announcing is until you listen to either of these two guys in comparison to anyone else.

harlan is just as good but marv gets the nod from me because i associate all of the great plays of the 90's (my favorite era of basketball) with his voice. "drexler, puts the move on anderson....drexler with the finger-roll, THE TIP BY OLAJUWON!", and of course the infamous "OH! A SPECTACULAR MOVE BY MICHAEL JORDAN!"

i would pay to hear a finals game called together by marv, mike fratello, and jeff van gundy.

16. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Agreed. Harlan's definitely not bad though.

On another note, god those NBA TV announcers are GOD awful. I was watchin the Rockets broadcast the other night and the guy says, "B Roy back in the game, let's see if he can turn that frown upside down." :rolleyes: Really? The frown? Upside down? What are you a elementary teacher?

17. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

anyone likes Mike Breen? he and JVG is the best commentator combo :cool:
    btw yesterdays Game 5 NBATV boardcast was horrible. I like Rick Kamla doing the NBATV show but not as a play-by-play commentator.

18. Asian Sensation

Nothings worse than watching the biggest Homers MIKE & MIKE of the Blazers. I bought a new LCD and the only channel I get in HD is local and not TNT since I have no box yet. UGH. I cannot stand them. Did you guys see Mike Rice raise both his arms at Oden during a timeout in the 4th quarter when Portland was pulling away? Douche-Baggery to the fullest extent.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like Harlan a lot. His "Que Pasa, Big Ticket!" (Pau Gasol posterizing KG) killed me back in the day.

Marv's good, he's actually better than he was pre-"Bite Me" exile. He had been getting stale and formulaic, but v2.0 has been loose and fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K07W8qD0jyA

20. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I like Breen and JVG, those 2 are probably my favorite when watching a game. When Breen goes "Bang!" when a big shot goes down... he says it perfect.