1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Team Has The Best 1-2 Punch In The NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CrashTheBoards, Jan 9, 2015.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

Ariza was efficient for a while there too... ;)

I actually like Westbrook, because I remember the era of scoring PG's fondly for some reason. No one can deny that there is a large contingent of Westbrook fanboys on this site that overrate him at every opportunity.

2. CrashTheBoards

A lot of it comes down to matchups. I would rather see Westbrook have the ball in his hands when Tony Parker, Curry, Lillard, Irving, Lowry, and Beverley are guarding him over Kawhi, Iguadola, Batum, LeBron, Derozan and Ariza guarding Durant.

On the flip side, I would rather see Durant have the ball in his hands when Tony Allen (he can still just shoot over him), Chandler Parsons, and Matt Barnes (still too slow) are guarding him over Conley, Rondo, and Paul on Westbrook.

I can where not necessarily having a cohesive 1-2 punch works simply because the second guy outclasses his match up more than the first option.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Lillard & Aldridge:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0lV367P10Rw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harden & Howard & Smith:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h7wEfFVXix4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dragic & Bledsoe & Isaiah Thomas
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hdlnk7m6ajc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul & Griffin
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XLlWyDmtII8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Curry & Thompson
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z5VKzzffX9I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wall & Nene
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xxSxP_iLr4w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love & Kyrie
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KPvYEJXzrTk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

I'll tell you what. I'm not the best judge on a lot of more subjective topics, since I don't watch a lot of regular season games outside of the Rockets. But for Westbrook, it's almost not subjective. You just look at his FG% and 3P% from throughout his career, and he's not in the class of Durant. I just texted a friend on the topic, and he says Westbrook is a top 5 player. What gives? Of course, the friend also says Cousins isn't a top 10 player, so I'm beginning to just think the friend is an idiot.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Something is up in Clipperland. CP3 doesn't look the same to me this year. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Blake's jumper has improved over last season but he doesn't seem to put out the energy each and every game. There was a period in Jan/Feb last season where he went to another level and was a relentless beast. It could have been his permanent step into superstardom. Not so.

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

not seeing why this is a question....Durant/Westbrook

The question is who is second best.

7. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Westbrook is beast, Westbrick however, is the best Durant stopper.

8. CrashTheBoards

Honorable mentions:

Butler (#2 SG in the NBA) and Gasol (left Kobe, and he is back to his old self).
    Wall and Beal
    Dragic and Bledsoe
    Davis and Evans

I think Durant and Westbrook are great in as a sense that I want the ball in Durant's hands so he can take Paul Pierce one-on-one instead of Westrbook taking on Wall. I just want to see them work well together and they haven't been. Perfect example, look at Westbrooks numbers pre and post-Durant's return.

Lillard and Aldridge always play well together, as do the splash brothers, Dirk and Ellis, anyone Pop throws on the floor together, Paul and Griffin etc.

The rest (Hou, OKC, Mem, Tor, and CLE) don't play off each other as well. They play more iso when they need a bucket. How many times have you seen WB and even Durant just jack up a long jumper in the waning moments of the game? That's not efficient basketball and it is the reason none of these teams have won anything since 95.

9. CrashTheBoards

At least our Batman is great at being Batman, because we don't have much of a Robin. Harden is good at carrying this team when they need a basket.

10. Aleron

Aleron Member

The heck, how do Durant and WB get the blame for lack of success for 2 decades? and then there's that guy who puts everyone to shame on his desire to iso late in games who won 5 of them.

11. CrashTheBoards

Well, going back to their Seattle days they had Allen and Lewis were great shooters. Allen being the greatest shooter ever, and Lewis being one of the early 3/4 hybrid stretch 4s in the league. They did not play well off each other, but they still played better off each other than Durant and WB or Harden and Howard.

This thread is less who has the best 2 players and more who has the best 1-2 scoring punch.

Also, MJ is the greatest for a reason.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

I disagree. The case against it is pretty laid out by a bunch of posters.

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

:confused:

They have had the most success of any current 1/2.

You guys are not thinking clearly.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

How do you diss Curry and Thompson by saying they will flame out in the playoffs and then list Paul and Griffin

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

What exactly how Westbrook stopped Durant from during? Definitely not scoring considering Durant has multiple scoring titles.

And Westbrook hasn't kept OKC from winning any playoffs series

16. CrashTheBoards

Westbrook was playing like an MVP, but his recent shooting:

3-19
    5-21
    8-23
    5-13
    6-23

He can't get even get up to 40% in the last 5 games. Durant has been struggling as well.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

That is true. I guess I was sort of thinking that may be the case of a super strong Batman. Again, I'm no expert on Westbrook - but just relying mostly on stats (%'s) he doesn't seem to be at the top of the top.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL @ dudes discrediting Westbrook.

19. CrashTheBoards

If this thread was which team has best the duo then it is clearly OKC with Westbrook and Durant. The thread is which theam has the best 1-2 (scoring) punch. I do not think Durant and Westbrook play cohesively.

If I am a coach, I WANT the other team to go to iso ball rather than run a play. Ibaka/Perkins running the pick and roll with Durant and Westbook just isn't as deadly as some of the others mentioned in the OP.

20. heypartner

heypartner Member

What other "duo" or "1-2" has had more success than Durant/Westbrook?

Stop with the semantics. As JVG says, "You are what your record says your are." And he primarily means playoff record.