1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Team Has The Best 1-2 Punch In The NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CrashTheBoards, Jan 9, 2015.

1. CrashTheBoards

I am mainly talking about in the fourth quarter and the last minutes of the game when defenses are at their best. For example, everyone knows LeBron, Kobe, and Harden are going to have the ball for the most part on the last play of the game so that's who teams focus on guarding. This is time for the second guy to step up and shine making big plays for his team. Which team do you think it is? For this argument I will say all of these teams are in the last 30 seconds and down 2, so they need a basket.

Golden State: Curry and Thompson can both make big shots. The perimeter defense will be tight so they both understand to chase down long rebounds and follow their own shots. Their bigs have one job and that's to get offensive rebounds and tip it in. The only reason they come out to the perimeter is to set a pick for Curry or Thompson to get an open look.

Portland: Aldridge and Lillard. Deadly pick and roll game. Even if it fails they still have the Aldridge post up to go to or Lillard can create his own shot. They get my vote.

Memphis: This team really distributes shots evenly between Gasol, Conley, and Randolph. They have three Robins and no Batman imo.

Dallas: Monta and Dirk. They can run the pick and roll similar to the Blazers. They have a similar weakness, but amplified in that Ellis isn't much of a passed and Dirk can't catch lobs.

Houston: Howard and Harden. The problem here is everyone knows Harden is Batman and Robin can't touch the ball because will lay an egg from the free throw line. The only way he gets the ball is if he is open right under the rim or it's an alley. So our second option is Ariza based off shot attempts and D-Mo if we want our second best post player. So you go to a D-Mo post up and if it's not there then give it to Harden?

Clippers: Paul and Griffin. Great pick and roll game, Paul is a big shot maker.

San Antonio: This team is interesting. They have a 1-2-3-4-5 punch in Kawhi, Duncan, Parker, Green and Manu. Let's just say it's Duncan and Parker for this argument.

OKC: Durant and Westbrook. Give the ball to either one because both can create simply with their speed, length, ball handling, shooting, and explosiveness

Raptors: Lowry and Derozan.

Cleveland: LeBron and Irving. This team is the most intriguing. You have two guys that can create with room to operate because Love's man is at the three point line. If a big guy doubles then they know to throw the ball to Mozgov under the basket for a dunk and if a wing cheats then they know to kick it out to JR or Shumpert for the open three. That alone will make the game so much easier for them.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Durant and Westbrook should be, but Westbrook is nuts.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think you're right that in current form, it's Lillard and Aldridge - not because they're the best players, but because they have the best fit where both can be hugely dangerous rather than just one at a time.

Runners-up are OKC, Clippers, and (perhaps surprisingly) Dallas.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Splash Brothers.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lillard and LMA are incredibly complementary but it is hard to separate their impact from what a knock down shooter/creator like Wesley Matthews brings to the table.

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

FIFY ;)

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

When healthy, there is no contest in my opinion.

Durant and Westbrook. Two legit MVP candidates on the same team. Don't know if you can say that about anyone else.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Dude is awesome. Would LOVE him on the Rockets.

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Tough question.

I agree its Portland because the of how the games of Lillard and Aldridge mesh in terms of needing a clean look for just one play.

Runner up would be GSW, a 1-2 pick and pop with Curry and Klay Thompson is frightening because Curry needs barely any space to get his shot off. If you try to trap.... congratulations, you've left Klay Thompson open.

Third, Dallas for the same reasons as Portland. Ellis is actually pretty clutch and is a better at getting all the way to the rim and finishing than Lillard. Dirk is Dirk.

(I wish I could put a Rockets duo up there... :( )

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This. Clearly.

Problem is, I don't think OKC will get it's act together this season. They are stale.

11. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

I hate to say it...but Portland would get my vote. Lillard is the one guy I would want to have the ball in his hands with the clock running down and LMA gives him deadly options.

If we meet them again in the playoffs, do whatever it takes to take a safe lead into the final moments of the game.....or repeat last year.

12. CrashTheBoards

Yeah, height goes a long way when posting up and D-Mo is like 3 inches taller than Dwight. Plus, in the old NBA you could be physical and that's not the case anymore with flops.

[​IMG]

This is true, they have 2 of the best players. I just don't see how they compliment each other well like other options. That's why they don't get my vote for 1-2 punch. I guess you could say give it to who ever's hot.

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

IMO

Lillard and Aldridge are the most "textbook" one 1-2 punch you listed.
    Durant and Westbrook are the most dynamic and can probably create the most havoc on other teams.

If I ranked them
    Durant/Westbrook = #1
    Lillard/Aldridge = #1.1

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I love watching Lillard play.

So under control and doesn't force anything.

He is the best PG in the league right now.

Better than Curry and Westbrook.

Lillard wins you games in the clutch and won't lose you games being that he is a smart player.

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You got to be ****ting me... Curry > Lillard.

16. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Curry and Thompson are overrated and they will flame out when the playoffs come. Don't get me wrong...best shooters on the association hands down IMO.

Best 1 2 punch is in OKC. Durrant and Westbrook

Then I'd say Paul and Griffin

and then Harden and Howard. If Dwight was more consistent this wouldn't even be a debate.

17. CertifiedTroll

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Westbrook is overrated IMO. He might be the most fun to watch, but his efficiency doesn't back up y'all's gushing all over him.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well he plays defense and rebounds too. No, he's not always the most efficient but he was for a while there.

I've usually disliked Westbrook

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm surprised the Clippers aren't getting more love. I really don't watch them enough to comment, but I am interested in everyone's assessments.