1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which sport requires more skill? Basketball or soccer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by i_win_biatches, May 21, 2012.

Tags:
?

Which sport requires more skill? Basketball or soccer?

1. Basketball

44.8%
  2. Soccer

55.2%
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I tell you how I became knowledgeable on the offside rule. :eek:

To correct your statement, the rule is actually that the attacking team's pass receiver or affecting the play cannot be closer to the goal than TWO defenders at the moment of the pass. With that said, the defenders can include a goalkeeper and a field player, or two field players. :cool: With the way you state it, Mexico would have been up 1-0 on South Africa, but it was correctly called off because the keeper came off his line.

In short: I hate that there is cherry picking and "snowbirds" in basketball when people don't play defense, even though they're supposed to play tough SwoLy D.

This makes it MORE DIFFICULT to be skilled at soccer and EASIER to be skilled at basketball.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Your statement is correct, although it is extremely rare that the goalkeeper is not closer to the goal than another defender. I was obviously referring to the last defender, not including the goalkeeper.

You didn't really tell us how you became knowledgable on the offside rule, though.

Edit: you edited and did tell us.

3. SwoLy-D

#63 SwoLy-D, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I already said that you are correct. The point remains the same, the offside rule demands more athleticism, not less.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

The offsides rule requires more athleticism/fitness not less.

Requires reaction speed, explosiveness, and agility on the part of both the defender and the attacker.

Also prevents fat pieces of lard from "cherry picking" at the other end.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

There both tough, that being said I have an out of shape friend who's 6'4" and dominates casual games with no knowledge of the game or any coordination at all. Soccer players can't rely on one trait or attribute, except maybe pure speed.

7. krnxsnoopy

This is probably true.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I've played 11 years soccer and 13 years basketball (I started late) and I think it's fairly even.

It really depends on your body type, athletic ability, etc...
    Playing soccer at a high level is much tougher than basketball for a 6'6 guy than for a 5'10 guy and vice versa.

For those who say that you have to be smart to play soccer at a high level... please. Most of these guys aren't too sharp, to put it kindly.
    Soccer is much more about feel than basketball. If you're a dumb basketball player you'll never be great. I don't think that's the case in soccer.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Having played both sports -soccer is much more difficult.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Whoever came up with that "fact" lacks simple mathematic skills.

Manchester U has 42 people on their roster, there are approximately 7,000,000 people in the world.

Change the name from Manchester to the Houston Rockets, and the numbers probably make more sense.

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGVRfXgKCo&feature=youtu.be&t=4m40s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

i think at a elite level there both equally as hard and in both sports they both flop lol.

13. krnxsnoopy

Since he said "playing for Manchester United", he was probably referring to the starting 11.. or atleast as a sub.

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This is what I meant to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGVRfXgKCo&feature=youtu.be&t=4m40s

15. SwoLy-D

Good stuff. I remember that game, clearly. ChiquiMarco clearly puts the two fingers up on LandyCakes's face. :grin: "Dos, Landon... dos." "Awww, man :( ", says Landy.
    LOL @ 7 million. :p Less than in Honduras and in Papua Guinea?!?!?

Math skills, eh? Chinese food!

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damnit...and krxsnoopy didn't notice either. Two asian kids got beat by the Mexican in math skills :(