1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which smart phone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Jul 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am just not a phone person. Dont use them much and know very little about whats out there. I have had a Droid Eris for a while now and hardly ever use it other than basic phone calls.

However, that might change in the near future, and so I am looking to upgrade my phone.

What are some good smart phones for me to consider? Which ones are good and which ones should I stay away from?

PS. I am a Verizon customer.

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I too am looking for a smartphone, upgrading from a basic phone. I'll just piggy-back on this thread.

Are there any major differences between the iphone 5 and 4s? I too am on Verizon.

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

First step, unless you are on a family plan switch to a prepaid plan. Verizon, ATT are ripoffs.

Get an off contract phone such as the Nexus 4. (Wait till October when new one is released)

Profit.

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

The new droid Maxx has a 48 hour battery.

5. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I have my eye on the Nokia Lumia 1020 that is being released tomorrow on ATT. I'll probably wait until an unlocked version becomes available so that I can put it on a prepaid account. As someone above said contract phone pricing are huge rip offs.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

iPhones are one of the most user friendly smart phones out there.

So if you are new to smart phones, I suggest buying them over the Samsung Galaxy.

There is not much difference between iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

The main difference is the video camera size.

The 4s basically has most of the features the 5 has, like Siri.

Also, Apple is coming out with iOS 7 on September.

Which will make iPhone on par with Samsung Galaxy.

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

Not specifically recommending this to you guys, because there are many caveats...

The Nexus 4 + Tmobile's prepaid unlimited/unlimited/100 minutes is a is a pretty good value. Ting can also be a good deal depending on how you use your device.

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I didnt bother with using a mobile phone until i was in my mid 20s and thats for work. My friends were using them in their teens. But once I moved from dumbphone to smartphone, it opened up a whole new level of interest in me. right now i'd say i stay very informed on the latest and greatest.

Nexus user here.
    cheap for its specs. i'd wait for the nexus 5 if i could and see if theyre still subsidizing the price. i kind of like the moto x phone as well.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

iPhone battery life is awful. If I forget my car charger I'm ****ed.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If you had a droid you could slap a custom os and battery life would ball oh and of course have extra batteries

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I just switched from Motorola to a PrimeCo phone

12. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Surfing the web and streaming movies are excellent on the big screen of the Note 2. The battery life is awesome and with the Note 3 coming out soon I'm sure the price will be getting a cut in the near future.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Since I am up for a free phone upgrade along with a 2 year contract, can I renew my contract and get a smartphone (say Samsung S4), and in about 2 months or so, can I downgrade the plan to basic $40 per month and put my old phone back on the line, remove the Samsung S4 from the line and sell it for $$??

Possible or no? Or will they penalize me for going from a smart phone plan down to basic plan without the data plan?

Since we are all on a family plan, I am thinking might as well use the phone upgrade I am eligible for, either for use or for $$.

14. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I don't know what verizon's policies are but I assume they will charge you some kind of fee to discourage customers from doing what you're describing. They'll probably charge you the full price of the s4 or something along those lines.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like mentioned before, since you're new to it, the iPhone isn't a bad intro. Easy and simple. The 4s is probsbly the best bet, although I don't know the price difference between that and the 5.

The galaxy is very interesting but there may be a bigger learning curve there. But the product seems pretty awesome.

Outside of those, I have no opinion and know no better. Enjoy.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Why get a phone that will lose support in a year? Get the 5 if you're gonna get an iPhone.

However, the Lumia 925 is the choice for me if I could switch to Verizon. Light, easy, and it's the second best camera for phones out there...

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what you mean by lose support. Like it won't work in a year ?
    My old 4 is still working, granted I'm not a hardcore user by any means. But like I said, if the price difference is minimal the yeah, get the 5. Although I'd imagine you could get a decent deal if you're signing into a contract.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Galaxy learning curve isn't that big. Android has changed a lot over the time and has gotten simple enough to where casual iphone users won't have very much trouble switching over. I'd recommend taking a look at it. You'll find that the basic interface really isn't that different on a basic level.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Nexus series phone, can't beat it.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm getting the Moto X when it comes out next week.