1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which rookie will McHale clash with first?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Sep 25, 2012.

?

Who will be the next anti-McHale?

1. Royce White

26 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Scott Machado

65 vote(s)
    49.6%
  3. Terrence Jones

20 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. Jeremy Lamb

23 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Donatas Motiejunas

28 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the past rumors are true, McHale hasn't been much of a players coach since he has been in Houston. Now, most of it could be just professionals being professionals in the case of Lowry, Martin, Camby etc. But if you recall, even Marcus Morris had a few, rumored, comments as well.
    My question is, which one of the rookies is going to get under McHale's skin first? There are 5 to choose from so it is safe to say that there will be some drama behind the scenes. A safe bet would be that Royce will have problems early. Only because of the crowd at the PF position and his inability to properly defend 3's.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You obviously felt the need to start more drama today on CF, but you probably could have done it in this thread, or the many others attributed to the McHale bashers.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=226340

-FYI- Glen Taylor from the T-Wolves explained in a recent interview that there were multiple players on their team last year that landed in Adelman's doghouse, and he actually went to the organization at the end of last season and gave a wish list of players he didn't want around this next season. Not saying that Adelman was wrong for wanting Milicic, and Beasley gone, but dont think for a minute that there is such a thing as a "players coach" in the NBA.

Maybe you could say that some coaches get along with players better than others do, and some coaches command respect due to their tenure in the organization and resume(Popovich, Phil Jackson), but even those coaches have run-ins with players the same way someone like McHale does.

No doubt that McHale will probably have a run-in with somebody this year, but that doesn't mean anything is abnormal about McHale. Its just the nature of the game. Its emotional, and especially with young rookies, ego plays more of a factor in the relationship with a coach/player than in any other sport in the world.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this is actually an interesting question to think about. I think Lamb is going to get a lot of burn and not really have anything to complain about. I think Jones will be fine (even without PT) because he doesn't seem like the sort to make waves. Machado is the sort, but he'll stay in line because his place on the team is tenous. So, I'm thinking Royce White (as a personality clash, because he has so many other interests) or Motiejunas (because of expectations and the transition from a Euro league).

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

White is the least likely, given that he's hand picked by Mchale and how close they are already.

5. dobro1229

Despite my rant previously, I would say that Royce White will have a hard time breaking the rotation just due to the unique nature of his game. It might be a tough year for him. Not sure if that will lead to him blaming McHale for lack of playing time, but it shouldn't. There can only be so many roster spots.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really shouldn't have added Motiejunas because he loves him.

8. dobro1229

How many was that... documented that is?

And how many of those run-in's had to do with his personality or was it basketball related.(Budinger/Martin)

Now, how many did Adelman have the year before that in Houston?

Did Phil Jackson not have multiple run-ins with players, even superstar players, while the coach of the Lakers and the Bulls?

Your not going to convince me that McHale is any different than the major of coaches in ANY sport who don't get along with every single one of their players. Its the nature of sports and the relationship between coaches and players.

9. dobro1229

Really... because you hang out with them personally together???

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Lamb because:
    A) limited playing time early, so not giving a 100% according to McHale
    B) Martin being Jeremy's teacher and defense is probably is going to suffer
    C) Totally different personalities

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team would suck if the ROOKIES start whining about the coach.

12. mazinger

mazinger Member

[​IMG]

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see your sarcasm is on point today, but no. Because of the small move they made in last seasons draft to get him. Because of the time and effort he and the staff gave into going overseas and training him. Because of recent comments he made while watching him in summer league and noticing that he has picked up some of what he has taught him.

14. dobro1229

Before last seasons draft, McHale admitted that he had very little to do with the pre-draft scouting since he had only been hired a mere few hours before the draft, and I personally dont think it was McHale's idea to send staff overseas to work with him.

Look up Arturas Karnisovas and his role with the Rockets. Also there is this guy named Daryl Morey that actually overseas both of these men.

That being said McHale "probably" likes him alot seeing as though he is a skilled 7 foot big man with a ton of potential.

That might not be the only reason though. Maybe its their long walks in the park where they philosophy life, and talk about McHales impressionist paintings that now define him as a "players coach."

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you're having a different conversation than the rest of us. This doesn't have to be a conversation about McHale-bashing. Coaches and players have run-ins sometimes.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I pocked lamb because I'm still traumatized by Adelman.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its far more likely that if a clash occurs, it will be with a vet.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

All of the Machado negativity here is extrapolation thanks to the NY press. Thanks so much, NY press.

I guess Motiejunas because McHale made comments during summer league about him being a wild puppy that needs to be run around and trained. But I'm not implying that there will be any clashing.

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Terrence Jones

20. dobro1229

When the OP threw in comments such as-

"McHale hasn't been much of a players coach since he has been in Houston"

"even Marcus Morris had a few, rumored, comments as well"

He's pretty much insinuating that McHale is somehow abnormal in a negative manner with his relationships with players.

If he just simply would have asked the question "what player is most likely to have issues with an NBA coach" the answer would have come much more simplified.