1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by us_marine007, Jul 21, 2008.

?

1. Hakeem Olajuwon

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Clyde Drexler

86 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Steve Francis

104 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Yao Ming

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Calvin Murphy

96 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Tracy McGrady

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Rudy Tomjanovich

73 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. xiao

xiao Member

so how you explian tmac who sit before tv after one season but still get injured in a game ?
    Yao has to do for CNT because chinese team has few good players ,unlike USA. he has no choice.

ok i dont intend to change your view,and i have to sleep.
    its late in China.

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

QFT...tinman just being real :cool:

PS. lol...I was about to post something similar but yours is perfect (good thing I reread the whole thread :D )

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

"Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the city of Houston?"

As much as Yao is a special and gifted player, and a blessing and asset to the Houston Rockets, he doesn't even get off the ground floor in this poll.

This is about "loyalty to the city of Houston". You can't been loyal to both Houston and China. You can't be loyal to your wife and girlfriend, can you? If the poll asked about loyalty to China, Yao wins hands down. This was asked about Houston.

Now, Yao has plenty time to make up ground in this category, but Yao's career is still young and the city of Houston has had many other "great players" before Yao. This was not about "great players or MVP's, or even playtime". This was about loyalty to the city of Houston.

For me:

The first two off are, Tracy and Yao. Mr. Tracy "me,me,me" Mcgrady gets the boot because it seems to be about, well Tracy not the city. Yao has been a great role model and hard worker, with special talent. This is not enough as he still gets the boot due to his first true love.

As great as he was, he choose to finish his career in Toronto.
    So say bye, bye to Mr. MVP, Hakkem "the Dream" Olajuwon.

Clyde "the Glide" Drexler has and will always be a Houstonian and respected threw out the city, but gets booted off the list for playing much of his career with other teams. So say bye, bye Clyde.

To make this a real poll, as we can tell this one's not as yao leads this poll. It should real come down to 3.

1.) Rudy T. who left Houston and coaching, not by his own choice, but due to medical reasons and never has seemed to find his way home. Rudy we miss you, come home.

2.)Calvin Murphy, who still to this day is involved with the community. Was also run out of town due to a personal scandal with his family. Yes, Calvin we forgive you!

3.) Steve Francis, who has always been great to the Houston Rockets and the city of Houston. For all the reasons Steve should have to be "Sour at the city". He has nothing to say but good things. He took Yao under his wing, had a big heart and gave it 200% on the court. He was given the title "The Franchise" and then shipped out of town for greener pastures. Several years later, he took less $$$, a roll on the bench, and surgery for a bum knee. All while saying he "LOVES THE CITY OF HOUSTON!". :D

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I dunno... At least Steve was traded away for another star player. Getting axed while fighting cancer has got to sting a little more.

I'm not saying he should have joined the Lakers, but I understand.

[​IMG]

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

on top of that, the Lakers paid him a whole bunch of $$$

i don't remember Les paying Rudy T what he was worth to this city and team.

6. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I hope Yao proves you guys wrong in the future...

So far, I'd say he's been pretty damn loyal to the city of Houston thus far. He's shown his dedication and commitment, worked hard, done stuff for the Houston community... it's not his fault he got injured. Maybe he re-signs with Houston in 2010 to a long-term contract, finishes his career in Houston, wins championships, and considers staying here after. Y'all never know...

My vote is for Clyde... despite him making the city of Houston SUFFER with his atrocious commentary

#126 alexdapooh, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

tmac did not get STRESS FRACTURE..... please read what a stress fracture is first.

tmac had back problems, which did not come up at all the last season. so he is healed there.

tmac played with a bad knee and a bad shoulder, which clearly show because right after the first round exit, had to be fixed surgically.
    dont sit there and tell me that tmac gets injured while sitting in front of a tv in the offseason.

Yao breaking his leg was justifiable. yao having stress fracture means he needs to stop playing that much..... so thats why chinese basketball comes into the question.

just go to sleep...... you won't understand this. you have no idea.

8. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i voted yao. he and hakeem were close.

but i think yao has enough pressure on him to justify any sort of disloyalty to houston, but he has yet to do that and i doubt he will. i'm not sure hakeem had to carry a billion people to the promised land.

9. xiao

xiao Member

yes i don't understand. i don't understand that you got a bunch of reasons but Yao is still leading the survey.

and, you will understand oneday that face the risk of getting injuried in CNT doesnt mean that the guy is not royal to rockets.

10. shsu33

shsu33 Member

That's because Lucas isn't on the list! Not to down Murph any, I was 7 years old and attended a basketball camp of his and he signed a basketball for me which I still have to this day, crap its 20 years old now!!!! But Lucas does so much for young Houston basketball players and continues to try and help basketball men; Eddie Griffin, Shawn Kemp. It's a shame more people don't know about his contributions. He'll be over at Rice running youth basketball camps if you wanna talk to him about it though!

11. tinman

Supporting Member

houston doesn't have a billion people.

12. rz04

rz04 Member

Your fighting a losing battle here Tinman :(

Clearly the franchise started in 2002/2003

Seriously there is no way that a player can be most "loyal" to a city when he risks his career every summer to play games overseas. Unless Yao takes a huge pay cut for the rockets to sign people around him there is no way he should be even on the list.

The most loyal player should be either Francis or Calvin Murphy.

Francis loved the city, and came back even tho he won't get as much mins and will be paid less then he could get elsewhere, I mean he chose to come back to Houston instead of going to the Clippers to be with the Cat. How can you not love his loyalty for giving up been with his true love and guaranteed minutes. Just to come back to the city that he loves.

Murphy still stay close to the organization (raido, Yao roast, etc) even tho Les fired him just because he didn't like him. I really believe that it was more because of Les hated him then the BS charge one of his daughters pulled just to get more money.

Guys like Dream and Drexler definitely had more input in the history of this franchise and is the corner stone of the Rockets. But in terms of loyalty to the city Murph and Stevie is second to none.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5984564.html

So, barely three months after playing basketball for the first time, Olajuwon boarded a plane to a place he had never been and a culture he had never experienced, bound for a city to which, over several decades, he became inextricably linked.
    “Houston,” he said. “It was the perfect match.”

Apocryphal stories have said the plane that carried Olajuwon to a new world landed on a cold day in New York City and the young African, accustomed to a hot climate, canceled his first scheduled visit to St. John’s University and boarded a plane for sultry Houston.
    “I had a list with the names of other colleges,” Olajuwon said. “But Christopher Pond told me Houston was where I belonged.
    [​IMG]

14. kona-

kona- Member

I have to go with Clyde,

Most loyal to Houston. He even has his own store in the airport in Terminal C.

15. LouisianaRocket

Hakeem and Clyde.

Although, Clyde is probably the most loyal Houston Native Athlete. Clyde absolutely loves the city of Houston, and rightfully so.

16. f_chowd0696

f_chowd0696 Member

Look, I am a native Houstonian and I can understand your frustration, but you seriously need to chill. I agree, you doesn't need to be in this poll... His career isn't even half finished., but I seriously doubt that he doesn't care about the Rockets... IMO, Yao is loyal. A bit to loyal. So loyal that he is willing to work all year round for two teams he deeply cares about.

17. f_chowd0696

f_chowd0696 Member

replace You with Yao... i wish I could edit

18. LouisianaRocket

um, that is why he draws a paycheck... if he wasn't willing to work all year round, why in the hell are we paying the man. Yao might be loyal, but I Clyde and Hakeem both went to U of H, both played for the Rockets... Yao is not even on their level when it comes to loyalty to the city of Houston. That is like saying T-Mac is more loyal to China than Yao is.

19. LouisianaRocket

Yao leading this poll is laughable.

20. f_chowd0696

f_chowd0696 Member

thus why I said he does not deserve to be on this poll. My point is that the poster I quoted is being too harsh on Yao.