1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by us_marine007, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

1. Hakeem Olajuwon

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Clyde Drexler

86 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Steve Francis

104 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Yao Ming

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Calvin Murphy

96 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Tracy McGrady

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Rudy Tomjanovich

73 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

the question is about loyalty to the City Of Houston

IMO, Steve's loyalty and love for the City of Houston surpasses any NBA player past or present rockets or not

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yao is unselfish, he doesn't care about money and he is mad with love for the rockets, that's why he IS Mad Max.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like how you blocked out all memory of Hakeem going to Toronto. I wish I could do the same :mad:. Maybe Yao belongs on the list later on but c'mon, second most votes?

4. A00man

A00man Member

Rudy freakin T.

Yao so high up there? Are you kidding me???? His priorities are with China A LOT more than with the Rockets. This poll shows what kind of demographic we have here on Clutchfans and why Yao is put on a pedestal.

5. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

The more I hear about Yao praises from Ignorant fans on Cltuchfans, the more I hate YAO.

He sucks!!! He does NOT care about the Rockets. Put him in any other city, he will do the same thing....... go right back to China to play for his country.

well then, my question is, why are you here making millions when your heart is in China? just Leave.

I can totally understand someone playing in the olympics for their country. But playing every summer for the Chinese basketball team is ridiculous.

and when you get a stress fracture, which clearly entails that you are playing too much in the year, yet does not clear your mind to know that you need to STOP playing for China in the summer............. or, just stop playing in the NBA and go to China fulltime.

As much as I loved Yao when he came to the Rockets, he has really not done anything for the true Rocket fans.

someone needs to make him understand what Priority means and where it lies for him.

6. A00man

A00man Member

I bet you would choose Yao in tinman's poll as well. Yao is the new Mad Max!

7. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

Ok YAYAYONG....... your name gives it away. obviously you are going to cheer for YAO, your name has traces of Yao in it.

But stop the Yao kiss up... get to reality, this aint a fatanasy game where Yao is the champ, the reality is..... he has been injured the last 3 yrs, and is soft and cant take us anywhere by himself... and relies on Tmac. and truly, should not be the star of the team, tmac should be that.

and he can sit there make his millions with this ads and marketing and go back to wherever his heart is to spend the rest of his life, cuz truly if we dont give a crap about this city, I dont give a crap about him at all

YAo SUCks!!

8. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

sorry for the misspell, I was too furious at Yao lover fans and started typing too fast. But that is what I meant to say

9. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

I luv Dream and Rudy, but Calvin is part of Houston DNA

10. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

CLASSIC

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I would have to say Rudy, although didn't he leave Houston for LA before becoming a scout there? Although he was with the organization as a player and then coach for like 30 years.

I'd give a shout out to Drexler too. He played for portland most of his career but you can't control where you are drafted. After coming here he had the stint coaching at UH and now he does color commentary for the Rockets. He's so loyal he doesn't even do the road games.

And speaking of controlling where you are drafted... Steve Francis. Really likeable guy. And he choose Houston recently knowing what our point guard situation was like instead of choosing the Clippers where two of his best buds were playing.

So thats my list:
    1.Rudy
    2. Drexler
    3. Francis

Guys like Dream were really great players, but he never really had a chance to leave. Is that loyalty? My favorite Rocket by far, but hasn't really done much for me to call him more loyal than the guys in my top 3.

And guys like Calvin are before my time so he could possibly be up there.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to that thread of the dumb fools following Yao's car to his house and forcing him and his family to take with them?

I think Clutch probably locked it, but Pryuen's blood pressure doubled.

Maxwell had a similar incident, this is what ended up doing:

If Yao had followed Maxwell's example, those dude's would have not followed Yao home.

13. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

I picked the GREATEST OF ALL TIIIIIIIIIIME!

Mr. Calvin Murphy. If my girlfriend will say "The GREATEST OF ALL TIIIIIME", then that's something!

Honestly, I think the he is about the people of the city of Houston--especially the youth. Almost everything he does to raise money is for the Leaders' Academy, like the Hall of Famer game and Yao Ming roast. I also can't think of too many Hall of Famers that are as down-to-earth as the Murph.

By the way, why the Yao hate on his "priorities". I guess after 5 years, we still don't get what it took to get him here. As Americans, I guess we can't understand the premise of a country basically owning your way of life. Could it be that instead of his priorities being with China that China actually "lets" him play in the U.S.?

14. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

I am speaking as a Rockets fan. I care less what deal he has going on with China or if China is doing a favor to him and letting him play for the U.S
    As a Rockets fan, it is getting very repetetive and annoying to see him get injured every year and put all the pressure on Tmac. even though Tmac delivers, there is only so much he can do. Tmac is getting old every year and we need to find a way to advance deeper in the playoffs let alone win a championship. the only sad part is, all if us as Rockets fans know that this team has the potential to make some noise. But every year those hopes get shattered because Yao ends up getting hurt. 2 out of the last 3 yrs, Tmac had to carry this team to the playoffs.

Tmac has had injuires as well, but frankly he has been there when we need him, and Yao has not. If it was Tmac going out after our 12 game winning streak, I am certain we would have lost the next game.

Tmac needs help, and as promising Yao sounds at the beginning of each year, he never can show up. the argument about him playing for China comes up with evident fact about his stress fracture. Nothing speaks better than this injury to portray that he is playing too much.

so thats why the priorities come up. Yao needs to make a choice to either dedicate his time to the Rockets organization, where his bread and butter, and much more comes from....... or concentrate on his country's basketball team. He is not FORCED to go play there. if he says no, the cannot make him. Yea they will bash him......... but what better is he getting from rockets fans now. So its choose your poison, and frankly, I would go with the ones that pay me in millions and are giving me a pedestal to stand up on.

I bet if Yao gets injured next year........... every one will hate on him and there will be talks of moving him. Obviously those ignorant yao lovers will still be there as always.

As a Rockets fan, It's hard to keep thinking that your team CAN be good when your best players don't even get on the floor when needed.

I have woken up and realized this, I hope the yao lovers do the same!

15. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I don't blame him for being in the situation he is in. He's not the only guy that goes to play for his country every summer.

Although at the same time I also don't fault Rockets fans for using this as a reason to say that Yao is not loyal.

16. frankxuahu

frankxuahu Member

charles barkley
    he still talks about rockets all the time

17. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

If its about the Rockets then I think Yao would deserve some votes..but the city of Houston, then I guess he should not be listed up there. He's more loyal to Shanghai, his hometown, than Houston.

18. Th3 Drunk Goat

It's Clyde Drexler and maybe Calvin Murphy. Clyde went to U of H, still lived in houston while playing for portland. After the trade he came back and played for the rockets for years and won a title. He attempted to coach U of H, and now works for the rockets again as a color commentator at home games. Clyde seems like a really good guy, probably why he kinda sucks as a commentator.

19. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I voted for Clyde because of all of his ties to Houston (Sterling High, Phi Slama Jama, Rockets, head coach of UofH.......) He's not a native Houstonian, he was born in New Orleans.

20. seaweed

seaweed Member

I'm thinking about the players in the team USA. They are in the same situation like Yao. Some of them, like Kobe, are delaying medical operations so that they could serve their country. According to your logic, they are all morons?