1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by us_marine007, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

1. Hakeem Olajuwon

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Clyde Drexler

86 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Steve Francis

104 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Yao Ming

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Calvin Murphy

96 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Tracy McGrady

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Rudy Tomjanovich

73 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I knew we were forgetting something.YES Gene Peterson and Foley are the best. They hustlers. :D

2. rz04

rz04 Member

Amen, also IMO TMAC, Yao, and Francis should not be up there.
    I think you have to wait at least until their careers are over before you make a judgment on their "loyalties" to the city.

3. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

How about CD man he is a true houstonian. Is he still with the rox

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't Steve's career basically done?

Yao is more loyal to China and Les is loyal to Yao cause he brings in so much cash for him.

I don't remember Dream talking about Nigeria so much when he was playing.
    Dream could have played or started on a Nigerian basketball team for the Olympics but he chose to be an AMERICAN!!!
    :D

5. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

Derexler is a native of houston,but he had just played in rockets for 5 years.While, SF3 is not a local houston,but he has been here for 5 streak years(6yrs in total and still continuing) and had chosen to go back here even after being traded .So i think SF3 is loyal to rockets most,next to SF3 should be Dream or Tom,who had brought us titles as roster and coach.

I doubt yao's loyality to rockets,What yao is loyal to is just his country so that yao values the olypics more than nba games.I wonder why you guys give the loyality to yao who has hever brought his team to the season round yet earns 15m from his board.Even though most of the money les gave him has been taken to someplace else, every year yao still pockets 2m ,which is extremely high in terms of his national team mates. :p

6. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

..wow, i am very surprised to see people voting for yao... but other than that, just as i expected, dream, steve, glyde would be one of the top 3 most voted..

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I gotta say rudy and stevie...rudy for being forced to leave due to illness and francis for never asking/wanted to be traded in the first place.

and how can anyone deny Steve, Mr. "I built the toyota center" Francis :D

8. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

The question is loyal to the city of Houston, right? I say Calvin based on his involvement with the rockets and the community. He does all kinds of camps for kids and speaks at schools all the time. If we are talking Rockets, I say Rudy T. I will also miss Gene and Foley, they are the definition of irreplaceable. :(

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not...

there's no real point in putting his name into a poll - basically some posters just vote for him without even knowing what the poll is all about!!!

It's definitely Rudy T

Never underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

10. v707

v707 New Member

Steve Francis

11. Champ06

Champ06 Member

How can some posters compare Yao loyalty to China and his loyalty to Rockets? Just like saying, if you are loyal to US, you can't be loyal to Rockets. :confused:

12. onethreeeleven

Charles Barkley played for the league minimum so we could sign Steve Francis. How come nobody remembers this?

13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Steve Francis has been great to our city, but really I could have put a mark next to anyone of them guys, minus T-mac.

Steve and Calvin have to be at the top of the list though. :p

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CD does some coaching with Yao,and there is no doubt about his loyalty. He did not play in the NBA. That's why he isn't not on the list,but he should be there. John Lucas should also be there for consideration IMO.

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Here's a question for y'all: does no one think that no one ever offered Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the greatest centers to ever play the game, more money to go elsewhere? I can't say that about Clyde, a guy who has been completely loyal to his hometown ever since he got back. I can't say it about Steve Francis, and I DEFINITELY cannot say it about Yao Ming. It's all Dream.

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Well, ALL of them have been loyal to the city to some degree, but I'd say Calvin ranks highest of all of them.

Give me a purple suit and some cookies.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Scottie Pippen
    2. these people were too young
    3. they relate Charles Barkley's TNT antics to his career in Houston for no logical reason, he said he loved playing here and he loved the fans

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I'm going with the Murph.

19. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

How about Rober Reid. I remember when the Rockets had that celebration after the 1st championship, Reid spoke of how he teary eyed for Hakeem when the Rox finally won game 7. Robert played for the Rox in the 81 and 86 finals and was just proud that they finally broke through and won. Shoot, I"m getting choked up now. j/k

20. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Strangely enough I would have to say Francis. Steve always mentions Houston whenever he gets the chance.