1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Rocket Should Be an All-Star Reserve?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Feb 3, 2012.

?

Who deserves to be an all-star reserve?

1. Kevin Martin

27 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. Kyle Lowry

26 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Both

17 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Neither

24 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Outside of Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Russel Westbrook, the West all star reserve spots are pretty much up for grabs and debatable. And it seems like neither Dallas nor San Antonio will have one making the cut this season, does this open up a spot for a Rocket to be named an all star not named Yao Ming or T-mac or Steve Francis for the past decade or so?

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

There are 7 spots for reserves but 3 of them are basically taken. Here are the possible/deserving list of players who the coach would choose from...

Shoe-ins:
    Kevin Love
    Russell Westbrook
    LaMarcus Aldridge

Players fighting for 4 spots:
    Marc Gasol (deserving)
    Pau Gasol (really? 3 all stars from the lakers? Whats their record again?)
    Al Jefferson (maybe)
    Kevin Martin (pretty much the guy carrying the rox so this could be the year)
    Kyle Lowry (started off as an all-star but has struggled as of late)
    Monta Ellis (always in the debate but the gsw record might hinder)
    Rudy Gay (has he done enough with zbo gone? I doubt it. Mgasol is the man)
    Steph Curry (heating up as of late but early season DNPs too costly)

Players (former all stars) who won't make the cut:
    Dirk,Duncan,Parker and Manu of course won't be all stars. Please.

Rubio has been fun to watch and was pretty popular based on fan voting but he is not an all star. Yet.

Suprise team denver are really playing well "as a team" so no one really stands out enough to be chosen as an all star.

Phoenix,sacramento and new orleans will not have an all star either.

Am i missing someone significant cause i just named these

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

...from the the top of my head. No list whatsoever so feel free to add if i missed mentioning one. Anyway, texas should have at least one all star! And it's pretty clear that it's gonna come from Houston.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yall crazy if you think Dirk aint making the ASG.....Be serious for a second..

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He shouldnt. He is having the 5th best season among PF's. Its arguable that Paul Milsap has actually been the better PF at this point.

1. Griffin (even though Love is better)
    2. Love
    3. Aldridge
    4. Gasol
    5. Dirk

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

He's averaging career lows of 16ppg 5rpg 43%fg plus a number of DNPs

Are you kidding me? Danilo gallinari has better averages this season and his Denver team is killing it and he still isn't a sure pick.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kmart is the only one that is in the ball park, the rest are not close, either due to their play or others in the conference that are clearly having better seasons.

DD

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

All the Rockets should be all stars cause they're the only ones that can make it to the moon and back. #corny/wack

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

He's obviously basing his judgement on name recognition alone. Perhaps Tracy McGrady should make the east reserves? I mean he's Tracy McGrady right?

Anyway, does Kevin Martin rank 2nd among Western shooting guards? Considering team records too.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

You're crazy if you think he should make it! :p

One of the guys on 'Inside the NBA' last night had Dirk on his [West] projected reserves list. When he was going through and explaining all of them, for Dirk, he said "Well, he led his team to the Finals last year and won...."

Really? We're gonna put him in the ASG because of the Finals? Get outta here with that! :p Sorry Dirk, not this year.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Should be Martin, he deserves it

12. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Kevin Martin Should. Lowry really slowed down.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That's my point.... He's gonna make it "just because" of these facts

1. He's Dirk
    2. Just won a championship
    3. Winning Team
    4. He's Dirk
    5.Cuban
    6.He's Dirk
    7.Timmy Duncan made it last year
    8. He's Dirk

You know the politics...Just preparing yall to b**** later.... He's not my All-Star pick

14. Burko

Burko Member

Didn't Yao get voted in while injured one year?

Dirk will be in based on his reputation, not for his on court production this year.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Nah don't won't cut it this season. The surprise might come from the Nuggets since they've been the surprise team so far thos season. I also don't see Pau Gasol making it since a couple of Fakers were already voted in. If Kevin Martin won't be named all star this season, i'm not sure if he ever will. He's the best shooting guard behind Kobe in the west, IMO. Pretty close with Monta but the warriors have a losing record.

16. Red&BlackPudman

Dirk can S a D. Kevin Martin and Paul Millsap should be on the roster.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

The last 4 spots from my guess would be both Gasols, Dirk, and then either Parker or Ty Lawson.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Yao was voted by the fans to be a starter. Dirk wasn't. So the western conference coach has to pick him to be an all star reserve. The problem is, not only is he averaging career lows so far but the mavs haven't been stellar either. Then there's Griffin,bynum,Love,aldridge,mgasol,aljeff,pgasol,millsap who are all averaging double doubles or near double double. Too many good and better deserving power forwards and centers in the west for his 16ppg & 5rpg to make the cut.

Griffin,KLove,Aldridge at PF already. No room to even include dirk even if this one's rigged. Just too many bigs that are performing better. You also got bynum in and with the gasol bros and al jeff making a strong case as reserves.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Tony parker seriously? Did he even make the all star last season coz he's having a so-so year so far considering manu's not even playing. Ty Lawson maybe if they choose to reward the Nuggets impressive record but i'd probably go with gallinari.

Man if a player becomes an all star averaging 16ppg and 5rpg on 43% shooting and with his team not doing so good then whoever that all star coach will be must be a huge dirk fan. Either George Karl or Scott Brooks.

20. jacoby

jacoby Member

Seems like people forget the fans vote for who plays in the All Star Game. It doesn't matter than Dirk is having an off season. He is a fan favorite and was the hero of the NBA last June. Remember when T-Mac was voted onto the All Star game in 09 and he hadn't played a single minute in the season?