1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Potential #6 Seed Gives Us the Most Trouble, and Why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jnuge90, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Which Potential #6 Seed Gives Us the Most Trouble, and Why?

1. Oklahoma City Thunder

27 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Los Angeles Clippers

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. Memphis Grizzlies

43 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. None of the Above

14 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't care who would be the toughest opponent for us but a first round matchup with OKC should be extremely fun to watch.

Tha_Dude and heypartner like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't want to see OKC at all. Best defense. Best Harden-stopper. Kill us on the boards.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yeah, they're the team I want to face the least. They also have the best player out of these 3 teams in Westbrook, and they are great in the clutch while we are not. Memphis just isn't that good and can't defend us for a full 48 minutes. They can't keep up with our firepower. LAC has the talent with their big 3, but they also can't defend us. I think we would have the easiest time scoring against LAC and their perimeter defenders would do the worst job in containing Harden, but Memphis is still the best matchup for us overall.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The only one I'm not worried about is MEM.

We handled them so well last game. We doubled immediately and effectively when they went in the post. They don't have the shooters ( I think troy was out so that may make a difference ) to punish us for that.

The main thing MEM lacks is athletic wings on D and ,on O, guys that can make plays from the perimeter. Doubling in the post doesn't work when the guy you close out on can pump-fake and drive right by you. MEM doesn't have a wing. Tony Allen is like Trev, he's lost a step and I'm no longer scared of him. Gasol a good anchor, but he's not the rim intimidator that Jordan or even Adams is.

So I'd want to play Memphis.

I'd prolly prefer to play LAC over OKC. OKC has the better player and think that Kanter is the best offensive big on the two teams. LAC could absolutely kill us, but I think that would come from Griffin and he hasn't been playing that well this year. OKC also has Gibson and Adams who are just very physical. How is the 3 guard going to look if they have to go against WB, Dipo, and Roberson ?

SO in this order give me ... MEM, LAC, OKC .

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We should win any series against those teams 1- 4 or 2 -4....

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

even though I prefer to face OKC the least and it's concerning that Harden hasn't had anything close to a dominating performance against them this season, I think that we should keep this in mind...we have played them very well and been in complete control for the 1st 3 quarters in each game so far...it's just that for some reason when the 4th quarter comes around we slow the pace down to a crawl, start using most of the shot clock on too many possessions, and start shooting the 3 like Corey Brewer

game 1 (in OKC)
    -we're up by 10 with 45 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, but allow the Thunder to finish the quarter on a quick 5-0 run so we're up 90-85 to start the 4th
    -the Rockets proceed to score just 13 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter to lose by 2

game 2 (in OKC)
    -we're up by 13 with 1:40 left in the 3rd quarter and enter the 4th quarter up 86-77
    -we're up by 12 with just under 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter but still only scored 16 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter but held on to win by 3

game 3 (in Houston)
    -we're up by 14 at the end of the 3rd quarter (were up by as much as 18 a little over midway through the 3rd)
    -the Rockets proceed to score just 21 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter and hold on to win by 2

so we know that we can outplay them even with Harden having subpar games, we just need to avoid completely collapsing in the 4th quarter like we have been in every single game...I mean, we're playing way below average in those 4th quarters

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

The key to beating the Rockets is having a bunch of quality wings and a big that can control the defensive paint.

One of the underrated stories of this season is that Marc Gasol isn't the defensive beast he used to be. He's 45th among CENTERS in defensive real +/- this season. Memphis really has no depth at the wing spots, which means they won't be able to guard us on offense or bully us on defense.

DeAndre is fantastic at what he does, but he's also the only one that can do it for the Clippers. If DeAndre shuts down the paint, the Rockets will put Anderson at the 5, not fearing the Clippers rebounding, and just PnR DeAndre to force him onto guards. I'm not worried about DeAndre on the offensive end...it's kind of like another team being worried about Capela.

OKC has a combination of players that could give us trouble, but they also have major flaws....depth and shooting. Their bench looks like this:

Semaj Christon
    Alex Abrines
    McDermott/Grant
    Taj Gibson
    Ennis Kanter

Imagine that group vs Beverley/Lou/Gordon/Nene...

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Westbrook is going to go full-on hero mode, and try to do everything himself. And while they might have decent big men, it's nothing compared to MEM or LAC. MDA and the Rockets are going to do everything in their power to bait Russ into matching their pace and shot selection. If you can get the Thunder to join you in a 3 pt contest, you'll wreck them. I have a feeling if you were to ask MDA who he wants to face most, my guess would be the Thunder.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@finsraider, Gibson is starting for OKC now. And agreed on the "quality wings + defensive paint" combo. Basically that is Utah.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you saying the clippers are THE TEAM NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY come playoff time?

Becuase that niche is taken, friend.

And another. The consensus is building. We must reclaim our mantle.

THIS IS NOT OK.

We are the team nobody wants to see in the first round - we *earned* this right last year.

11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There are no easy outs in the western conference and any one of those teams will be a tough first round matchup. I think J.R is correct, though. I would probably prefer the Clippers over the other two choices but not by much.

slothy420 likes this.
  12. thekad

thekad Member

Memphis and OKC haven't really played well at any point this year. The Clippers were dominating at the beginning of the season with their full squad.

13. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Memphis. I feel more uneasy playing them than the other two. Perhaps it is just their style of play but I prefer playing a team who like a similar system to the Rockets as I will believe we will just be better at it. Memphis have been about a more physical inside game which is different. Whoever it is will be a challenge but one will can definitely conquer.

Tha_Dude and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

An intelligent observation, well thought out.

Y2JT likes this.
  15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Sure, but that was when they were healthy. Blake looks like he's lost a step since the injury and I think matchup wise the Rockets will have an easier time scoring against the Clippers vs OKC/Memphis.

No matter which of the teams we face I still think the Rockets will win, though. I just think a Memphis/OKC series will be more physically taxing on the Rockets is all.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Tbh I think they all would give us problems I don't see us winning in fewer then 6 games against any of these teams... But the Grizz scare me the most

17. arjun

arjun Member

good point! thank god.

18. macan

macan Member

i'd rather face OKC or LA. not feeling it with the grizzle..

19. HTM

HTM Member

lol at the people who would rather face LAC than OKC