1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which ONE player should the Rockets be targeting this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, May 10, 2005.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What is the difference between Gadzurik and Chris Anderson? They look like the same player to me. And they both look like cheap versions of Tyson Chandler. I don't see any of the 3 able to keep defenses honest by hitting the 15 footer. But they will board and defend their tails off.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I guess I just disagree. I wouldn't characterize Marshall as particularely athletic, now would I classify a player who's never averaged more than 11.8 ppg in his career to be a consistent scoring threat.

SAR is the only guy of the four that can create his shot, rebound, and is still young with some spring in his step, IMHO... But I feel like I've been rambling about him too long, so I guess I'll just agree to disagree

3. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread, but i think i would take SAR over Swift. I just feel we know what we're getting in Rahim than Swift. He's too much of a wildcard, you're really counting on the fact that he will improve, play with more intensity, and reach his potential. And plus, he is looking to get paid now, this will be his first chance at his first big contract, so who knows how he'll react when he gets his money.

SAR has already gotten his money. I don't know what his mindset it, however, his career stats come across as someone who's been a little more consistent. Even as the 3rd option on this team, he could still average 16-17 points a game. Yao isn't so demanding with the basketball that SAR won't get his touches, especially when Yao himself is shooting a high percentage in a given game, or his in foul trouble. But most importantly, it gives the rockets another guy who has the ability to create his own shot.

4. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

This is something we need desperatly.

5. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

I have to say that I like Gadzuric's size and rebounding but I haven't seen many of his games - any actually. Aries, do you think this guy is quick enough to guard the premier PFs in this league?

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Beggars can't be choosers. If All-Star talent like SAR or Fatoine Walker falls into our laps and are willing to sign for the MLE (which is essentially chump change to them) you have to jump on it. Of course, they are offensive minded players that would be playing in a JVG system but I really think JVG is a good enough coach to make SAR more of a complete, all-around player (and winner!) and I also think he would be able to control Walker.

They are established, talented players which are much, MUCH less or a risk than feeding a contract to a guy like Swift or Dalembert. Chandler and Kwame on the other hand, are probably the only two young PF's I would give preference to over SAR or Walker. Chandler is just a pipe-dream since Chicago has given every indication they will retain him, but Kwame on the other hand has an outside shot of falling to an MLE contract.

My Best Case Scenario:
    Sign one of these guys
    Trade Howard to NY for Kurt Thomas

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched UCLA fairly extensively when Gadzuric was there- along with Moiso, Watson, JaRon Rush, Jason Kapono, among others. I've seen him some this year.

Gadzuric won't be coming here to play PF, period. Foremost, teams pay a premium for centers- Gadzuric is a natural center. Simple logic tells you if the guy has legit center size/skills, he's going to have more value to a center starved team. Already, you're overpaying for the guy, never mind the fit. Similar situation for anyone dreaming up Samuel Dalembert becoming a Rocket, or Eddy Curry.

I wouldn't chance Gadzuric at the 4. The reason he was a 2nd round pick out of college (aside from never dominating like he was supposed to) were injury problems. Particularly his knees, iirc. It's one thing to anchor the post, but with all the quicker 4s in the league now, that's a lot more stress on the knees, moving laterally.

Besides the fact teams would give Gadzuric less respect on the midrange shot than Ryan Bowen. Gadzuric is an AWFUL shooter- see his career 52% FT%. He was a career 48% shooter in college, including one year he shot below 40%. He's a miserable shooter 5 feet from the basket.

8. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I'm sorry, my answer was a little sarcastic. SAR is probably better than who we have, but Swift is a little bit of a ? because I think both of them have been jobbed by their respective teams for being 'lame ducks' and not signing their new contract. I think we have to rub out this year for them and to the past. That situation probably hurt Swift more than SAR because Swift had less of a track record.

I would be happy enough with SAR if we could trade JHo back East for another of the elements we need.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If we had SAR I would expect no less than 15 & 7 in 32MPG, as well as being extremly efficient with high 40s to 50% shooting and above 80%FT shooting. I think he would take a lot of pressure off of Yao and Tmac, we could even win some games when both stars were a little off.

I think we could still get 9 & 6 from JH in 24 minutes. Thus in total 21PPG (on 46-48 FG%) & 11RPG from our PF spot would be a conservative expectation (I prorate based on 48 minutes as SAR could pick up some 3 minutes or JH the occasional 5 minutes--though both are primarily 4s). This is in contrast to about 16PPG & 10RPG from our collective PFs from last year on much less efficient shooting (42-43%). I also fail to see how SAR/JH would be worse defensively than JH/Padget/Bowen/Spoon (remember Padget got the most minutes of the rest)--at worst it is a wash defensively. Getting SAR and keeping JH should not hurt our defense, and add about 4-5 PPG and couple of % on our team FG shooting--that is major over the course of a season.

Given our offense (20th in the league) has a lot more room for improvement than our defense (2nd in the league) SAR addresses a lot of our weaknesses and should not hurt us in our strengths.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My question for SAR is how effective can he be being a 3rd option. We know when he is the 1st or 2nd option he can put up points. Ideally I think he SHOULD be a 3rd option on offense but can he be effective doing it? With the Rockets Yao and Tmac would dominate the ball and they should. If that is the case, can SAR make positive additions to the team when he isnt scoring? Can he do things without the ball? Something to consider.

The one things I DO like about SAR though is he is a legit scorer in this league and I truely believe this team needs a 3rd scorer if they are going to take things to the next level. Ideally though, I would like that 3rd scorer to be a wing player at the 2 guard spot and have the PF be more of a defensive force downlow.

11. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

SAR and JH are clones. We shouldn't get SAR if we keep Juwan. Neither of them is a high energy player that would provide a spark off the bench. SAR is marginally better than Juwan. They are so similar, it's not even funny. We would have a Taylor/Howard situation all over again. One thing that Juwan has proved is that he complements T-Mac very well (Orlando and Houston) and accepted his role of having to play scrappy and be the third option. We don't know if SAR would be happy being relegated to a distant third option on offense.

12. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Larry Hughes should be someone we look at in the offseason. After landing on the All-defensive 1st team after leading the league with just under 3 steals a game I think he could be a great third option at the two. Now I know its probably unrealistic but his comments in the Washington Times were really interesting.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We wont be able to get Hughes with the MLE so that should end the discussion right there. But playing the "what ifs"...Hughes as the team's 3rd scoring option and a defensive stopper at the 2 guard spot is exactly what the Rockets needs. He would be a good addition as long as he understood his role as the THIRD option on the team.

14. X-PAC

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Both years they lost in the 1st round. Without a doubt this year was better, but, at the end of the day, the team will go as far as Yao and Tracy take them. Yao is underrated as an interior defender, as he was basically on his own out there in defending the paint, but being realistic, foul trouble will continue to be a problem for him going forward without a defensive presence playing next to him, not just on the boards. SAR doesn't provide that.

16. X-PAC

I agree, unfortunately. I think once JHo is healthy and we pick up a young pf at with the #24 I'd rather spend the mle on someone who can help Tmac on the perimeter with defense and scoring at the two. I'm not saying the four is solid. By no means but I thought we were playing great towards the middle of the season when Juwan found his midrange game. Bring in a promising 4 with the 24 (Warrick/Simien) and I think that would be sufficient at least for one more year.

I think the two is the most desperate need for this team right now. I just can't watch another playoff series of Wesley getting chewed up and spit out by the Michael Finleys/Jerry Stackhouses of the world. I think thats the most glaring open wound this team has right now. Wesley would be better served providing scoring and help defense off the bench on 1's than anything else at this point in his career. I haven't watched enough of Larry to say that he is the missing piece to this team advancing beyond the first round but from his stats I feel he's the microcosm of what would be ideal at the two.

17. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

"Ideally though, I would like that 3rd scorer to be a wing player at the 2 guard spot and have the PF be more of a defensive force downlow"

If the rockets had their way, they would probably be inclined to go that way, and i would agree with that. However, i don' t think it's feasible with the available crop of free agents this offseason. The only 2 guards who could provide what the rockets are truly missing are MIchael Redd and Cuttino Mobley. Both guys could be great 3rd options. However, both guys may not be willing to accept that role, and want bigger paydays. In mobley's case, he might have bitter feelings. As far as a defensive force, Tyson Chandler would be great, however, is probably unattainable.

I agree that SAR and Howard are redudant in some ways, but there really isn't another starting caliber power forward out there for the rockets other than SAR. Swift has never been a full time 4 since entering the league.

18. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Good post Duece but i do have 1 question? How does SAR get 32 mins and Howard 24 mins (total of 48 mins at the 4 spot). Are you assuming that SAR gets about 8 mins at SF. If that is the case the only thing that worries me is that a lineup of Yao/Deke, Howard, and SAR would have a tough time defesively keeping up with faster front court lineups (like those of the Suns and Mavs). Other than that I agree with your post. I think SAR has to realize that if he does come here is is going to play less than 30 mins a game because I dont know if JVG wants him out there with Howard and Deke/Yao.

19. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

If we figure that SAR is head & shoulders better than JHo (not a given) and get him for the MLE, then can we trade JHo and and expiring contract for Larry Hughes LITE somewhere? That considering the Wiz won't part with the real thing. Or, maybe Bobby Simmons, whom I like. I just can't see $ wise or talent wise keeping both SAR and JHo plus all the other 4's (total of 6) with all the holes we have at 1, 2 and b/u 3

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There are clones except SAR is far more athletic, 3-4 years younger, and has range to the 3 point line--but other than that, yes they are fairly similar.

You can't sub a defensive player on one set, and a offensive player on another set. Thus if I choose between the better player (SAR) and the more "alternative strengths and weaknesses" player to Howard (Evans/Gadzuric)--I go with the former because that is going to maximize what we can get from the 4 spot for 48 minutes the chief concern. It is not like either SAR or JH are zero's in any part of their game that allow for major exploitation.

It is the same with Deke and Yao. What makes Deke so great as a back-up to Yao is not that he is so different from Yao is that for the most part we can play the same way, particularly defensively.

We need to add the guy to give us the best 48 minutes of quality play in the 4 spot between him and JH. JH ideally should be at 24 MPG (he was 26MPG last year), SAR ideally should be at around 32 (he was 34 last year)--meaning they play all the PF minutes (unless a blowout or injury) and we pick up an extra 8 minutes with SAR at the 3 (going big) or JH at the 5 (going small) depending on match-ups. Also, if Deke or Yao misses any games--very plausible, JH becomes the stop gap back-up C. So I don't think it will be hard to get SAR/JH 56 MPG between them and it gives us the most quality 48 minutes of 4 play we would have since Barkley/Willis. It is a luxury when guys know they can go out there and play all their minutes as hard as possible and not worried about being saving anything. That is why Deke is so much more effective now as 12-15MPG than as a starter asked for 24.