1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which ONE player should the Rockets be targeting this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, May 10, 2005.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

As much as Bill Walton gushes over the Rockets, I can really see Luke Walton in our future. Nice player.

2. rocket3forlife2

ANY of these I will be happy.If where gonna get a big man he need to be young long and athletic.If we get a guard he needs to be able to create his own shot hit the open look and play some lock down D.

Ron Artest.
    Joe Johnson
    Mobley
    tyson chandler
    Samuel Dalembert
    Swift

Sorry, but wesley couldn't guard anybody in the playoffs.

3. MONON

MONON Member

Scratch Artest & that's an excellent list. We can't afford the Artest baggage on T-Mac & Yao.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's not so much a problem when you're spending the MLE on quality. A 28-year-old player with career averages of 20-8? I'd say that MLE is below the market value

Think outside the box - let's say we sign a younger, BETTER version of JHo who's a better rebounder than Howard's ever been... Why not TRADE Howard for a change of pace guy, like Malik Rose? One player with a bad contract for another younger player with a bad contract, who actually rebounds and plays D.

We'd be better off acquiring one or two good players an offseason than totally dismantling the team AGAIN in order to bring in a hoard of mediocre players who fit the system slightly better. Value over needs, guys.

So you'd rather pay money on a second tier 2/3 then a second tier 4 who's been to an all-star game and has career averages of 19/8? Isn't it safe to say that Otis Thorpe, a 1-time all star, was a second tier 4? Wouldn't Tyson Chandler be a 3rd or 4th tier 4, with potential to eventually become a 2nd tier 4?

Shareef's in his prime right now, at 28. Cato, MoT, and Mooch were never the player than Shareef is right now. This guy is not a scrub.

I beg to differ :)

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Dharocks, brought up a lot of good points but I'll respond as well.

We are over the cap and going to be so long as Yao and Tmac are on the team. Just like ALL the good teams, including SA, PHx, Det, Mia--the MLE is going to be the primary way to improve your team. Because SA at one time only had Duncan, guys at rookie contracts and expiring contracts all lined up together they were able to do something different, as with Phx last year with only Marion at a market contract--but those days are long gone for them as well. If you do stupid MLE signings like DFish or Cardinal they can hurt, but you no more need to do a stupid MLE signing than any other stupid signings. Case in point Cato and MoT were not MLE singings, JH a reasonable contratc for us, was an MLE signing by Orlando. Again, the MLE is how all these teams will do it now and it how the Lakers got Fox in his prime--a good role player for them for like 5 years and whom without him they only have 1-2 rings of late instead of 3.

It is wide open in the sense that we have an available starting 4 spot for a title contending team, only perhaps Miami can offer that (though Haslem is tougher comp there). SAR can make more money elsewhere (if Portland won't S&T with us) and will have better cumulative stats on a cruddy team (e.g., Milwalkee, NO, Atl). He can put up 19 & 8 and be the man on a league dreg and watch the playoffs again. OR he can come here as an immediate starter but nontheless a role player behind two superstars and expect to put up like 15 & 7 and be on one of the four favorites for an NBA title. (He is also coming off a 72 mil contract so lifetime earning should be less of an issue than say Swift or Evans or even DM). Yes which direction he goes is a decision he will have to make, if he chooses a complimentary role and possibly less money to pursue a championship--we should be all over that train.

Evans is probably my 3rd of the realistic choices (behind SAR and Swift) and if we got him for a reaonsable amount I would be happy with move. But there is a much better chance you overpay for him via the MLE limits than SAR (plus he is restricted at Seattle could match unless we do make the contratc painfull and we start all over again if they do match on the 15th day with probably fewer options and weaker leverage). BTW I don't think there has ever been a PF of SAR's productivity who was under 30 to sign for the MLE--it would be a hell of a steal and way below market value.

The biggest problem we have is we have one quality 4 in total (one worthy of major NBA minutes) and he is over 30 and coming off an injury. Sura/James and Wesley/Barry (I assume Barry returns at the min) are not an elite group of 1s and 2s--but they can hold there own a lot better than JH/Padget/Bowen/Spoon/Baker collectively hold down the 4 spot.

I would like an extra swingman as you describe--we can land a 1st rate player with the MLE if we do a S&T for our PF, or pick up a servicable such player via the draft, use the TE, or possibly the 1.6 mil exemption this year, and than NEXT year (with Wesley expiring) look for our long term answer at SG with the full blown MLE or via trade.

Center is not a problem at all for the short term (1-2 years--I assume Deke comes back). Only one team (Miami) can remotely compete with us with what we can put up in the C spot for 48 minutes (34 for Yao and 14 for Deke is a reasonable expectation for next year). JH can also fill in in emergencies (another reason I want to keep him even if he loses his starting position).

If Simmons (who like Evans is restricted) could be had for the MLE I would not be entirely against your plan. If the choice is say Simmons or Evans/DM, I go with Simmons and then try patchwork for the 4 (take the best one at #24 in the draft, span the globe for UDFAs to compete, etc). Personally, I think there is a much greater chance SAR or Swift are landed with the MLE than Simmons (and the Clips would probably match an MLE anyway)--if fact there is good chance all are signed for more than the MLE. However Portland is probably more likely to facillitate a S&T than the rest.

I would not mind a 2 year 3.3 mil deal for Walton at the end stage of free agency--but he really doesn't help us in the athleticism or wing shooting department. To me, he makes more sense if we get a bonified PF, because then when Walton is in at the 3 Tmac can move to the 2 spot. In essense we strengthen our 2 spot (size, athleticism, entry pass like you say) by lessoning Tmac's 3 responsibilities over the course of a game.

I am not talking about panicking, I am talking about decent value contracts for a PF who can help us. We have some possible conceivable choices--SAR, Swift, Evans, DM--so we don't have to a bad deal with any of them. None of the previous moves you describe were done via the MLE. The idea we could ever use an MLE to land a great rebounding PF, who also great defensively individually and weakside, and who is an efficient scorer, FIRST TIER 4 who is a defensive presence, is unrealistic. Those guys go for the max or close to it. We look for a PF who net brings things more positive than negative relative to what we have on our roster to incrementally improve our team. I think the 4 guys mentioned above do that--and I think this season not only is our best chance this may be feasible for only an MLE's cost given the glut of 4s and 4/5s who are FA, but it also reflects our greatist immediate need on the roster.

#145 Desert Scar, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  6. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

SCAR:
    I don't want this to turn into a p*ssing match. Both you and dharocks are respected posters. I do NOT advocate tearing up the team again. A couple of key signings are adequate, so we agree. NIKE is the authority on capology here, not me. But next year when all those burdensome contracts expire we are bound to have some room, even after resigning Yao.

SAR is a good PF, but not 5-6 mil better than JHo. JHo's carreer stats are very similar to his, a little under, and SAR's are down for the last 3 years. JHo did not prosper stat-wise in JVG's system and neither will SAR, IMO. The other 4's that are within our reach, don't excite me either. I wish someone could define the perfect PF for 'our team'. Then we could at least have a common grading system. I'm sure that is the way the big boys do it, just like football. Badiane fits my definition if he played even a little like KG or Amare, but no one thinks he is ready to compete in the NBA yet. BTW, its not fair that Amare now has a 15 footer also.

By 1st and 2nd tier, I meant 'of the available FA 4's' not 4's in general. I don't think any of the available FA's would even be 2nd tier overall. That's the problem. So, yes a 2nd tier 2/3 (Simmons) overall would be better than a 1st tier 4 FA this year. I also doubt we could acquire Simmons.

We have been traveling without a 'spare tire' for 3 years now at the 5 position. As long as no one gets hurt we are fine, but a turned ankle or pulled muscle and we are in big trouble for 3 weeks. IMO Mutombo was our MVP this year because without him we would have barely made the playoffs if at all. Jho would be clobbered at the 5, he can't even bang with the 4's much less the 5's.

How about Zaza Pachulia? He is a RFA along with Gadzuric who is also an RFA. I don't know if Milwaukee can match on both. Zaza has more RPG than PPG and can slide over to C from F.

This kind of discourse is all we have to do until fall anyway. It sounds like we pretty much agree really. Maybe except SAR. More just differences in words and definitions of words. Anyway, thanks for the chat, I enjoyed it. It's more fun than baseball.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Someone will overpay for Reggie Evans this summer. All he does is rebound, and little else. We could sign James Thomas and get the same production. When given the minutes he produced this year in Cleveland. He had like 15 boards in one game he started.

Abdur-Rahim might actually want to come here, seeing as though he's never played a postseason game in his life. Question is, do the Rockets want him?

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

The power forward position is probably the least important position on this team. Despite the big drop in talent level between Howard and Weatherspoon, the Rockets actually had a better winning percentage in the games that Spoon/Padge started this season (.684).

Contrast that to when Sura was out early in the season and we had to play Ward and Lue. Or when Sura was out midseason and we had to play Strickland. It's obvious that guard play is much more vital to this team's success. We were able to get away with starting a scrub 4 (Spoon), but looked absolutely horrible starting a scrub guard.

Upgrading the power forward position with someone like SAR would only help this team win maybe 2-3 games more than last season, but upgrading the backcourt with someone like Simmons could help elevate this team to a 60 win team.

9. krocket

IMO, SAR does not meet those criteria. He has trailed off considerably the last 3 years.

I'd go for that deal! Unless it is SAR.

Agreed. Best player available against positional need.

See reply to Scar's post above.

IMO he is 2 years past his prime.

I don't understand. You don't like Luke or the amount?

10. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

He was still averaging 20/9 last season when he was the starting PF in Atlanta. The reason why his averages have dropped off the last 1.5 years is because he's been playing either off the bench or out of position in Portland. With a healthy Zach Randolph, SAR has been playing SF, a position that he prefers not to play.

If I recall correctly, the MLE is only available to teams that are already over the cap. Signing SAR with the MLE this offseason technically wouldn't count against the cap.

Bottom line: More than anything, the rockets need a quick-footed power forward to help defend the pick-and-roll. We don't need him to be a shot blocking "enforcer." We also need a PF that can hit the open jumper. On top of everything else, SAR is an above-average rebounder to boot. There are better fits to this team out there, but in my opinion SAR is the best option available via free agency.

#150 Kyrodis, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  11. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

I am all for getting Bobby Simmons through FA and drafting a young PF. We then bring Spanoulis onboard next year then We'll be ready to win 60 games and contending.

12. Desert Scar

First of all Simmons is less realistic for landing to a new team for an MLE than SAR, Swift, DM or Evans are. He is young, coming of a fine season, looking for his 1st big contract, has no red flags, and will have suiters under the cap. He is a pipe dream to land here, even for a full MLE. So if you want to make a comparison of SAR/Swift/Evans/DM to a guard or SF--start with someone like AD, Korver, Stoudemire, Kittles, McIinnis, Spree, Raja Bell, G. Wallace, Murray, Damon Jones, Walton, or Mobley. Just like Chandler, Curry, Delmembert and Radmonich are unrealistic to land for an MLE, so are the top FA guards like Redd, Allen, Johnson, Hughes and Simmons. Heck I'd rather have Joe Johnson than Simmons, but it won't happen.

Second, we did not "get away" with scrubs at the 4. We didn't even advance past the 1st round of the playoff against a 4 seed. When we were playing best this season was when JH was in top form AND we had a PG (Sura and/or James) who belonged in the NBA. We have largely address the PG spot by having two guys who now can play at least for 1 more year in James and Sura, but we only have 1 PF worth a darn and he is old and coming off an injury. With SAR and assuming not killer injury (Yao/Tmac)--I think we are talking about a 60 win team.

Yes and no. It counts against the cap, but we will be over the cap anyway, so as long as Yao/Tmac are both on the same team. We are not going to be able to sign other teams free agents in the near or long term future except with the MLE, 1.6 mil exemption or minimum. I am fairly certain this is the reality of our cap situation barring radical changes in league policies (cap gets majorly raised) or roster.

I think more than anything we need another PF who has to be played honestly. I would rather have Chandler for the MLE too, but I see SAR followed by Swift as the best fits of the somewhat plausible ones. Even then, thinking we can lead either with an MLE may be a stretch, and Evans or Marshall may be the real choices.

Again Simmons is extremely unlikely to sign for only an MLE. The better comparison is do you want SAR/Swift/Evans/DM OR Mobley, AD, Damon S., Damon J, Spree, Raja Bell, or G. Wallace. Those are much more plausible guard/SF candidates that will take the majority or all of an MLE to land. I think the smart move is take the PF with the full MLE and look at the best guard left for the 1.6 mil exemption late in free agency + draft a guard/SF.

13. Desert Scar

Oh, BTW guys, I don't consider this a p*ssing match at all. All good coversation and important ideas being tossed around, I am sure it is happening within the org except with a tad more knowledge about the players in question;)

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

We won 68% of our regular season games and were barely beat by Dallas basically playing without a power forward. I would say that's pretty darn good.

If Simmons is out of reach, I would have no problems with them going after Mobley, Stoudamire, Daniels, Murray. They would all make a larger impact on this team than Shareef. Guys that can handle the ball, penetrate, and create. Tracy Mcgrady sorely needs a running mate. I have a feeling, those are the type of players Van Gundy is looking for.

Shareef would not look any better than Howard does in Van Gundy's system. Look at the type of power forwards Van Gundy has preferred throughout his coaching career and how he has utilized them: Oakley, Camby, Kurt Thomas, Cato, Howard. The power forward basically has only 3 responsibilities: rebound, play defense, and knock down open 15 foot jumpshots. An offensive minded power forward such as SAR would not be utilized correctly in Van Gundy's system. In Van Gundy's offensive scheme, the guards play a much bigger role.

15. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I would have to agree with New Jack about getting SAR. Sure, he is a 18 & 9 guy with Portland and other teams. However, he will be the 3rd or 4th option on this team so his pts will go down. New Jack, you are missing the importance of a PF in the West. To compete with Duncan, Matrix, Dirk, and Big Ticket we need a quality PF. We also have to deal with K-Mart, Gasol, Brand, Zach, and Odom. Everybody, we also need a defensive minded 4. Yao is getting into a foul trouble in most games because he has to rotate to the weak side. He is not a great shot blocker, and the offensive player is jumping into Yao to initiate the contact. We are not going to win champoionships with Yao on the bench. I would love to have Chandler, Curry or trade for a Odom or Nene, but that is not going to happen. I think Swift is still young to get even better defensively and establish a low post game like a Otis Thorpe. Will he take the MLE and play for a strong team? The Nets and plenty of other teams will also look at SAR and Swift.

16. krocket

Thanks. For awhile it was just you and me, now we've drawn other people into the conversation. So its seems the conversation is lining up as a SAR non-SAR debate. SlickRick said better than I. SAR in JVG's system wouldn't be any better that JHo.

From SlickRick, NewJack, et al. we have a start of a definition for a 4 within JVG's system. Board, Defend Yao's back, and hit the open 15 footer. So we need a young Malone, maybe. Who doesn't? Who of the available 4's fits that definition? Stromile Swift used to, but now ? have arisen. But, then he was rarely and poorly used last year as a 'lame duck' just Chad Ford said in his article. Maybe we should excuse last year and look back a year to see if we want him, Memphis sure did. Now thanks to them he is tainted goods. Doe he fit our profile? You tell me.

17. aries323

aries323 Member

Check this out...

6'11 240lbs

Ranks #1 off. reb. per 48 min. (7.0)
    Ranks #2 reb. per 48

www.nba.com/playerfile/dan_gadzuric/?nav=page

DAN GADZURIC...

you guys want a enforcer right... I'm telling you guys... he's only gonna get better and he can flat out run for a big man, still young and maturing... he's gonna be a player...

Yao / Deke / Gadzuric
    J Howard / Gadzuric

That only makes our interior defense better. Draft the best player available with the 24th pick draft the best pg available... (Felton) we're set

Try to get another swingman (G. Wallace) trade away our expiring contracts to fill in the holes...

GET GADZURIC CD!

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Rather than look at what we need out of our PF, I really think that we should be addressing our needs as a team.

We need:

A consistent 3rd Scoring Threat
    A strong defensive rebounder
    More youth/athleticism
    3pt shooting (this will ALWAYS be a need for us)

SAR provides all of these except for long distance shooting. People say that we need a defensive PF, but think of it this way:

Last year we won 45 games with a squad that player tremendous defense and was totally dysfuntional on offense. This year we had a squad with a slick offense, but the defense fell back slightly. However, we still won 51 games, because the defense was still #3 or #4 in the league.

Keep in mind, if your starting PF scores 10 points below the league average, even if he saves you 5 points more than the average PF with his defense, you're still down 5 points.

Also, we were #3 or #4 in the league in defense EVEN WITH the poor defense of Juwan Howard in the starting lineup. Defense from our PF wasn't really our problem, rather, it was rebounding. Our record was very, very good whenever JHo averaged 8+ boards a game. Abdur-Rahim averages better than 8 rpg for his career.

Obviously this is all just my opinion, but I really, really want SAR on this team

19. krocket

DM fits 3 of 4 also. Fails on youth.

Stromile fits 3 of 4. No 3's.

REvans fits 2 of 4. No offense or 3-pointer

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Adam Green, I hear great things about that prospect.