1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which ONE player should the Rockets be targeting this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, May 10, 2005.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

A front line of Yao, Howard, and SAR would be far too slow. If we ran into a team like Dallas or Phoenix in the playoffs, Yao would instantly be in foul trouble. I have no faith in SAR guarding players out at the 3-point line.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you had to move Juwan Howard, then look no further than Sam Cassell from Minnesota. Word around the trading deadline (I think from David Aldridge) is that WE turned down a potential Howard for Cassell deal (so we could get James and keep Howard). But if we needed to move Howard we probably could still move him for Cassell. And this is Cassell's last year on his contract. Just a thought. Minny still is pretty high on Howard. They wanted him over Kandi when they were both FAs but Howard signed with Orlando instead.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd trade Howard for E.T. and his contract in a heartbeat.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Eddie Torez "The extra testicle"?

meep meep meep meep

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Sam I Am on this team with T-Mac and Yao even for a year would be a hell of a ride, though Yao would probably foul out more, and JVG would have at least one extensive stay in the hospital, or jail.
    :D

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I still think when you look at the ideal PG for the Rockets, we want a guy that can take care of the ball, throw the entry pass, shoot, and defend his butt off. That sounds like Antonio Daniels to me, possibly Jarrett Jack in the 2nd round, or Spanoullis, both of whom lack experience. And experience is a big key with Van Gundy....................especially at the point. I still see him wanting Daniels over a draft pick or a Euro with no NBA experience.

Then we need a PF who is nimble and quick, can rumble in the paint, and hit the 15 footer. Who is this?

Then we also need another perimeter player who can defend.

We gotta have a big body that can matchup with the Duncans and Garnetts, but we also need a player in the mold of Odom/Miles with length, quickness, and speed to defend the perimeter and players such as Dirk, Marion, etc.

It would make sense that we would go after a PF in the draft since there are a plethera of them in the draft and the seniors are moving down. Besides, in Van Gundy's scheme, we are looking for our PF to do the dirty work. A late first rounder or second rounder makes more sense. We are looking for our version of Reggie Evans with a jump shot. Turiaf???

Then maybe a trade of expirings for Miles or possibly a gift from Memphis with expirings and future picks for Swift?

#106 jopatmc, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  7. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Getting Cassell would be just a lateral movement, we dont improve at all. If we are trying to move Ju Ho we should be trying to get someone who is a little younger and maybe a bit of a better defender than Cassell. If we end up getting a PF than perhaps this trade wouldnt look so bad but i still dont think Cassell would do all that much for us. Also say NO to Kurt Thomas. He bangs more than Ju Ho but his contract sucks and hes not exactly young. I dont like Stro all that much but would take him or even Reef over KT. The player we should be targeting this summer is Tyson Chandler. I think he could really be something if he picks up his defensive intensity and learns a few decent post moves because he has somethings that you cant teach: youth, athleticism, and size.

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from jopatmc:
    I agree, but to be honest I don't think we'll be doing anything to get a point guard this off-season. Especially if CD thinks Spanoulis is ready to get any minutes in the NBA.

Sura's age and health disturb me, but I do like James more than most. I agree with most of the criticism of James, but I still think JVG told him in the Mav's series to score first, deal with the criticism later.

Geno was apoplectic during stretches when James fired quickly, and then was at his schizo best when he said "James has been huge" when he hit. (I love Geno :D)

But I think the Mav's series was an aberration that's still seared into our brains. JVG didn't criticize James and I was expecting him to throughout the series given the quick shots he took.

But I'm not concerned about him being uncoachable. James needs to take shots when he's open, but far less shots when he's run the ball up the court as he did in the Mav's series. And it did hurt us. You have to make the Mav's play defense and James particularly played into our youth/speed disadvantage against them. James has to be more of a JVG pg and I think he will be.

9. alon99

alon99 Member

Kwame Brown

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

no

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

seven

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

13. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady. Oh wait...........last summer is over.

I vote Cuttino. We're ok at PF with Howard and an athletic draftee.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Why all the talk about SAR and sign & trade? There will not be any need for Portland to sign and trad trade him since he is an UFA.

He indeed in the most attractive UFA out there for the right prize. My hunch says that he has Houston, San Antonio and Maybe Miami on his shortlist via the MLE.

Other UFA of note out there include (that are gettable):

Othella Harrington
    Zeljko Rebracca
    Bobby Simmons
    Brian Scalabrine
    Casey Jacobsen
    Lee Nailon
    Damon Stoudamire
    Vitaly Potapenko
    Donyell Marshall
    Raja Bell

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I would not mind getting Rebraca or Potapenko IF Dikembe doesn't return.

Bobby Simmons would be nice..but I feel like we're gonna draft a 2/3 guy with our pick. He would be good though if possible to get him.

Jacobsen is all right..we have Wesley and/or Barry to be backups already though..or maybe they will start.

Stoudamire is good..but defense? :/

Donyell Marshall and SAR I think will be two big targets and there is a high chance we will get one of them. They are both pretty good.

Raja Bell would be good but we have like Ryan Bowen and Padgett..they can be exchanged/replaced.

16. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

i think keeping our bench guys will be a major key for next year...mike james, barry, and mount deke are extremely important to our team and we should make it our first priority to keep those two since james is under contract. SAR would be a welcome addition to the offensive end but im not too sure of his defense rebounding and toughness. plus he has endured alot of losing in his career im not sure he would be able to turn himself into a winner with a winning attitude in a short span. but again i would welcome his addition to the team if not too pricy (6 mil per year for 4 years would be more than acceptable). chandler i think would worsen our offense because he possesses no jump shot, hook shot, any kind of shot. no stromile swift he is a sissy from all accounts and they all cant be wrong. in my oppinion if a player is unable to perform in a contract year, then when will he perform?:confused: but maybe im wrong

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Does anybody think SAR will sign for the exception or less?

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the MLE,but I really believe somebody's going to overpay for SAR.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yeah, SAR might get Cato money or something.

20. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Desert Scar:

I think you are helping me make my point.

(1) Our resources are as BAD as ever. We have the minimum resources everyone else has, and we have had them for several years.

(2) We need to be sure we want to look at SAR or any of those other guys for 6 years. They don't go away when they're not cuttin' it anymore. See Vin Baker.

(3) I think you helped make the point I was alluding to. IMO there isn't anyone out there good enough to mortgage our future.

(4) I agree. We have at least 4 of them and can't make 1 whole PF.

(5) This is the part of your statemnt I like the best. This is not the Year we mortgage our future again to get a stop gap solution.

I like the draft this year. So many youngsters are getting on board that someone who normally wouldn't fall to us will be there this year. I don't know who or what position, but someone. I like Luke Walton for this team at swing (2,3,4 for small ball). Speed is not his commodity, but he can shoot, pass, and has a high basketball IQ. If JJ can get along in Phoenix then we can get along with Luke. All the other stuff I said before.