1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

which of these top-salaried players would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 28, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Here is a list of the top-salaried players for this season. I'm just showing those players make 16 million + for this year.

Code:
    Name                   Team                   2012-13
    Kobe Bryant            L.A. Lakers            $27,849,149
    Dirk Nowitzki          Dallas Mavericks       $20,907,128
    Carmelo Anthony        New York Knicks        $20,463,024
    Amar'e Stoudemire      New York Knicks        $19,948,799
    Joe Johnson            Brooklyn Nets          $19,752,645
    Dwight Howard          L.A. Lakers            $19,536,360
    Pau Gasol              L.A. Lakers            $19,000,000
    Chris Paul             LA Clippers            $17,779,458
    Chris Bosh             Miami Heat             $17,545,000
    LeBron James           Miami Heat             $17,545,000
    Dwyane Wade            Miami Heat             $17,182,000
    Deron Williams         Brooklyn Nets          $17,177,795
    Andrew Bynum           Philadelphia 76ers     $16,889,000
    Paul Pierce            Boston Celtics         $16,790,345
    Kevin Durant           Oklahoma City Thunder  $16,669,630
    Zach Randolph          Memphis Grizzlies      $16,500,000
    Rudy Gay               Memphis Grizzlies      $16,460,538
    Derrick Rose           Chicago Bulls          $16,402,552

Which of the players above would you take instead of James Harden, if you could have them for the next 5 years? Assume we'd have them at the same salary we're going to pay Harden (approx. $80 mil/5 years ?).

2. Jamers

Jamers Member

3. KingHRockets

KingHRockets Member

Dwight Howard L.A. Lakers $19,536,360
    Chris Paul LA Clippers $17,779,458
    LeBron James Miami Heat $17,545,000
    Dwyane Wade Miami Heat $17,182,000
    Deron Williams Brooklyn Nets $17,177,795
    Kevin Durant Oklahoma City Thunder $16,669,630
    Derrick Rose Chicago Bulls $16,402,552

Left kobe off the list due to age and carmelo off the list cause to me he can't win a championship at this level

4. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

LOL, what kind of question is this.

LEBRON JAMES.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Dwight Howard
    Paul Gasol
    Chris Paul
    Lebron
    Wade
    DWill
    Durant
    Dirk Nowitzki

-----------------------------------------Reasons why I take Harden over the following---------------------------------
    Kobe - too old and too inefficient now
    Carmelo - something is just keeps him from playing winning basketball
    Amare-obvious
    Joe Johnson-Worst case scenario of Harden so at the very worst a wash
    Bynum - too injury prone
    Pierce - Old
    Zach Randolph - love the guy but that contract will suck for the next 5 years
    Rudy Gay - I'm not even sure he's better than K-Mart
    Derrick Rose - too unpredictable

6. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Oh, I misunderstood the question.

7. durvasa

Of course. I wasn't implying that I wouldn't take anyone on the list over Harden.

I'm just curious how people would rank him compared to the others, in terms of what they'd pay over the next 5 years.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agree with the list 2 posts above..... I think Harden will end up being worth the deal.

9. dje243

dje243 Member

I know I'll get flamed but I'd only take Dwight, Lebron, and Durant (over Harden, obviously it's different if you're talking about WITH harden). Age is a huge factor here. You have to look at all of these guys and think about where they are now. Are they on an upward trend or downward trend for their careers. I would argue that a lot of the players on that list, while still very productive are on the back end of their careers. Also looking at the players that are still in their prime or on the rise, which ones are at positions that are easy to get very good play at (like PG). To me, an all-star point guard isn't as valuable as a star SG just due to the high amount of really really good point guards in the league. Again, i'm not saying i WOULDN'T take any more of these guys, i'm just saying i'm not sure i'd take them over harden. Taking all of those things into account i really think Harden would rank HIGH on this list given his age and room to grow (ceiling). Oh man, I can already smell the gasoline...

10. durvasa

I think Nowitzki is past his prime and probably on a steep downward trajectory. The rest I agree with, except perhaps Gasol. That's borderline.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Everyone except Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, Paul Gasol, Chris Bosh and Deron Williams

12. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Thank you for wording your question without a lot of prejudice. If you were suggesting "none" then I would have to never visit this site again, which would suck.

For the record, for the lackeys who may still be high, if James Harden is worth $15MM/YR then LNBJ is "worth" $45MM. Of course, he can't get paid that. But let's be very, very careful before we completely embarass ourselves here.

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Wrap it up fellas. Thread's over. This is the correct Answer.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

5 years.....
    ok, i'm on the fence with Rose, since i've no idea how he's going to look. and Wade and Bynum because of their knees.

I'd take:
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Chris Bosh
    LeDelonte James
    Deron Williams

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Btw, current 'rookie max' is at ~13.7 mil, so you'd have to add Love, Marc Gasol, Westbrook, Aldridge and probably some other people that i don't remember.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

and ofc i missed Durant by accident

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The thing is all these guy's salaries will go up every year so their average salary will be much higher than 16 million.

Harden's Salary will be 14 million after this year so you have the fact that we get him for one year at a bargain price of 5.8 million. This means we get him for 6 years for 86 million. That's not bad at all.

18. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Would not take Melo, Stat, JJ, Gasol, Bynum(depends on health), PP, Gay and Zbo over him.

Yes I don't think Melo is all that great. He is an inefficient scorer with decent rebounding, so-so playmaking, and defense. Not to mention the fact that he is a cancer and a playoff loser(basically a poor man's Tmac). Bynum is obviously way better than Harden but his knees are a serious problem.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. Except we wouldn't be. Harden will be paid less than all of those players.

2. More importantly, just because I would rather have Lebron James or Chris Paul for $17M, does not mean James Harden wouldn't be worth just as much if not more. The salaries for those players are all artificially capped, so their actual value is worth much more. Harden is not as good as those guys, but still can be well worth the max.

20. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I look at the question from a different angle - considering age, salary, and injury history, who would I trade Harden (at 15 per) for straight up?

Of that list, I would only say Howard, Paul, Durant, and King James. Without salary matching, I would add Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, and possibly Cousins or Irving. The list is not long. We scored big-time.