1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which (non)Events Had the Greatest Impact on Rocket History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, May 27, 2008.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

*The most obvious was Ralph's injury. That changed the course of basketball history.

*Not trading Ralph for Clyde and the #2. Would you take a healthy Ralph over Jordan+Clyde? Could Hakeem and Jordan have coexisted? Does a healthy Ralph for 12 years bring you titles? (he would seemingly score 40 points one night and 0 the next to obtain his 20ppg average...)

*Not trading Brent Price for Derek Harper in '96 - Stockton doesn't go off and we play the Bulls in the Finals

*The Damon Stoudamire trade - the big 3 was on it's last legs. Could Stoudamire have gotten them over the top?

*The Entire Brandon Roy Fiasco - This is the one that really stings for me. Whether it's Portland sabotaging our trade with Minnesota or JVG winning a meaningless regular season game to drop us to 8th in the lottery, losing out on Brandon Roy killed us. He was everything this team has been looking for for 5 years now. A big, playmaking, ballhandling shooting guard with leadership. We haven't even been able to find a player with one of those qualities let alone all of them. He would have made McGrady so much more efficient, and it's not even like having Roy would have altered history to the point where we don't get Scola/Landry. Those guys were obtained via 2nd round picks, so you're looking at Scola, Landry, Roy, McGrady, Yao as your nucleus. That team could win the title - Ouch.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang Cabbage, why not just trot out the ole Oilers and Buffalo playoff game too?

Was this thread meant as a sharp stick in the eye, or what?

:)

Just kidding bro.....Roy hurts bad now....

DD

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is amazing thread cabbage.

what about what if Les Alexander didn't make our uniforms ugly after winning 2 championships?

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Forget the Eddie Griffin trade and just keep Richard Jefferson instead.

Oh yeah, and take either Parker/Arenas and Gerald Wallace with our other 2001 picks.

Edit: I know this is a (non)event thread but I think this should qualify. This botched draft was indirectly responsible (along with Francis' migraines) for us sucking bad enough to draft Yao. That, i'd say has had a great impact on Rocket history. ;)

#4 baller4life315, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What about the Barkley trade and Eddie Griffin?

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The Barkley trade, definitely. Then again, it would be nice if we had RJ too...

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what about Boki Nachbar?
    did you see him dunk on Theo Ratcliff?

would Boki have neutralized Kyle Korver?

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

How about passing on Rashard Lewis 3 separate times!!

Best NBA second round picks, Anthony Mason, Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili, Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, Gilbert Arenas

Preview Home / Sports Channel / Bullz-Eye Home

ALSO: Visit The Scores Report, the National Sports Blog, to post your comments on John's list.
    2007 NBA DRAFT PREVIEW
    Preview Home
    Mock Draft
    Oden or Durant?
    Draft Sleepers
    Best & Worst Drafts in NBA History
    11 Biggest Draft Day Blunders
    Best Second-Round Picks in NBA History
    Think you can fall asleep once the first round of the NBA Draft is over? Think again. It seems like every year, a player or two from the second round emerges into a solid NBA contributor, eventually developing into an All-Star caliber player. Here is a list of the Top 10 second round picks from the last 20 years. The criteria are simple: how good was the player or how good does the player project to be once his career is over? I also took into account whatever accolades the player won, be they All-Star appearances, All-NBA teams, even All-Defensive or Sixth Man awards. Special consideration was given to those players who were key players on championship squads. After all, that’s what it’s all about.

But first, a few Honorable Mentions:

Players almost on the list: Mehmet Okur, Stephen Jackson, Mo Williams, Monta Ellis

Younger players who still could make the list: Bobby Simmons, Cuttino Mobley, Paul Millsap, Daniel Gibson, Ryan Gomes, Anderson Varejao, Zaza Pachulia

Older/Retired players who had solid NBA careers: Nick Van Exel, Cliff Robinson, Cedric Ceballos, P.J. Brown, Antonio Davis, Steve Kerr, Vernon Maxwell

10. Anthony Mason, 1988, #53 (Portland)
    Career Averages: 10.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 3.4 apg, .509 FG%
    Mason was actually drafted in the third round and was cut shortly thereafter. After playing in Turkey and in the CBA, he was eventually signed by the New York Knicks in 1992 and really blossomed under head coach Pat Riley, becoming (along with Scottie Pippen) one of the league's prototypical point-forwards several years after Paul Pressey made the position famous. Along with Patrick Ewing, Charles Oakley and Charles Smith, the quartet made an intimidating front line in Riley’s thug-ball system, setting the game back 20 years in the process. A year after losing in the NBA Finals to Hakeem Olajuwon, Mason was named Sixth Man of the Year in 1995. He was later traded to Charlotte, where he was named to the All-Defensive 2nd Team and All-NBA 3rd team, and following a 2001 trade to Miami, Mason was selected for his first All-Star Game. He was then traded again to the Milwaukee Bucks, completely ruining the team’s chemistry that had them in the Eastern Conference Finals the previous season.
    Bonus points for…being one scary-looking mofo.
    Negative points for…having the reputation of being a general malcontent and chemistry-killer…ruining my beloved Bucks. Great decision, George Karl!

9. Rashard Lewis, 1998, drafted #32 (Seattle)
    Career Averages: 16.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, .461 FG%
    Lewis was drafted by the Sonics out of high school and quickly became one of the team’s best players, averaging 14 points or more each of the last six seasons and 20 points or more the last two years. In the 1998 draft, his hometown team (the Houston Rockets) passed on him three times, selecting instead Michael Dickerson, Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turckan. Ouch. In 2005, Lewis was named to his first All-Star Game. He is still just 27, so he could move up the list (or fall off) before his career is done.
    Bonus points for…having a great three-point shot (38.6%) for a 6-10 player.
    Negative points for…despite being 6-10, he doesn’t rebound very well, he has a questionable post up game and takes almost 30% of his shots from long range. Go inside, young man!

9. ABtheTerrorist

I am pretty sure drafting Hakeem was a big deal. It should be on the list.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Winning the coin flip to land Hakeem.
    Jumping 5 spots to land Yao Ming.

why are y'all so freaking negative.

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Amen. Stealing Moses wasn't shabby either.

12. Htown57

Htown57 Member

firing Murph as the color guy on TV. most devastating event possible.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What if the Sean Elliott/Robert Horry trade would have gone through? (tinman falls in a faint) It was a done deal until Elliott failed the physical. Later on, he said he didn't want to play for Houston anyway because the fans weren't as passionate as spur fans...

I've always hated that guy for that.

14. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

LOL did some of you guys miss the "(non)" part of the thread title?

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

I actually know the guy (he's kinda big deal here in Tucson, he hosts a steak dinner, one of my friends is a sports writer out here so I got to eat and hang with him). He's a nice guy, he's just a big Spurs fan. I asked him about his time in Detroit and he said it was the lowest point in his life, he didn't like the team, didn't like the city and really wanted to go back home. That really struck a chord with me, because not many ball players see where they play as 'home'. SF3 aside, do you think any of the Rockets really care where they play? True, they may have a preference of management, teammates, coaches and such, but not necessarily the city. As much as I hate him for hating on the Rockets, I gotta respect the fact that he really loved the city, the establishment and the team as a whole. Of course, he could have been BS'ing me.

I think the biggest non event that happened in Rockets history was Rudy getting cancer. I swear, if he coached the last couple games of that season I think we never would have traded SF3. I don't think it was necessarily Van Gundy that pushed him out, I think it was the previous year's disappointment along with Van Gundy coming in was enough for the Rockets to seek a major change. Then again, I'm probably wrong.

16. danny317

danny317 Member

not signing antonio mcdyess to a max deal when he was a fa. his knees gave out before the ink dried on that contract.

17. danny317

danny317 Member

trading away scotty brooks. :mad:

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Anyone know what happened with the Damon Stoudemire trade? Does that count?

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He refused to come to Houston because he didn't want to play with Matt Maloney,he wanted to play with Van Exel instead.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol...

would you prefer a thread debating who the better ball handler is between luther head and shandon anderson?

technically speaking, the thread is about non-events, so the barkley and eddie griffin trades, and drafting hakeem/yao don't count.

i'll continue defending the former two to this day, however. re: the barkley trade, it was absolutely the right move to make. i think people are forgetting just how bad seattle owned us. it wasn't simply a matter of getting healthy and getting by seattle. we weren't getting by seattle with that nucleus. charles barkley was brought in to beat seattle and that's what he did. he was the single most important player on our team in that series. management's mistake was not following up on the trade by signing tim hardaway or trading for derek harper or a host of other solid veterans waiting on the sideline. they chose to go to war with matt maloney and sedale threatt and stockton killed them.

as far as eddie griffin, it backfired, but that was absolutely the right move to make. they already had what they thought was a franchise caliber guard. the team needed a franchise caliber big man, not 3 more average supporting peices, in hindsight. the glimpses eddie griffin showed in his rookie season were enough to justify management's decision. eddie's horrible downfall was on him.