1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

which nba playoffs series loss hurts you rocket fans the most of alltime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket94-95, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
?

which rockets nba playoffs series loss hurts you rox fans the most alltime?

1. rockets vs. sonics 1993 west 2nd round 4-3 series loss

4.9%
  2. rockets vs celtics 1986 nba finals 4-2 series loss

2.3%
  3. rockets vs utah 1997 west finals 4-2 series loss

36.6%
  4. rockets vs dallas 2005 west 1st round 4-3 series loss

29.8%
  5. rockets vs lakers 2009 west 2nd round 4-3 series loss

5.1%
  6. rockets vs utah 2007 west 1st round 4-3 series loss

16.4%
  7. rockets vs seattle 1987 west 2nd round 4-2 series loss

0.4%
  8. rockets vs utah jazz 1998 west 1st round 3-2 series loss

4.0%
  9. rockets vs celtics 1981 nba finals 4-2 series loss

0.2%
  10. other

0.4%
  1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Toss up for me

96 vs seattle when we got swept could have gone for the 3peat

f george karl and his illegal defenses to take hakeem out of his game...it was hard for me that we got swept.

97 wcf vs the jazz was bad no doubt but for me worse than that was

98 vs the jazz first round if it wasnt for charles injury we would have won that series and that was also a cheap injury commited by foster i think? even though we were the 8th seed i thought we were just as good as any other team in the west to win it all that year.

2. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PofsN2LgH0I&feature=related

06-07 vs the jazz hurt because everyone predicted the rockets in 6 or 7

the rest of the playoff years (excluding dallas) we weren't favorite anyways

that tmac post game interview after game 7 vs the jazz alone had me ballin out tears...

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's been 3 years, Rocket fans need to know that team deserved to lose and were pretenders.

Losing to a team when having :
    home court advantage
    healthy players
    a lead in the series

signs that we would have never won crap:
    couldn't win on the road
    couldn't win at home in a game 7.

the sad part shouldn't been Tmac's press conference, it should have been JVG's demise.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that was the year I believed that NBA was trying to screw the Rockets over, the San Antonio game at the end where David Robinson scored like 2 days after the buzzer went off so we got screwed on the home court and crap like this:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax9n6JJgq-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax9n6JJgq-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

That Stockton shot and the Tmac vs Dallas series.. Ouch

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I had to go with the Dallas series because of the bad calls and all the controversy surrounding the official's targeting Yao. The Rockets were clearly the better team in that series. The Jazz series in '97 hurt really bad but that was a case of the best team (arguably) winning.

7. roswell raygun

Finally, someone on the board as old as I am.
    I'll never forget John Lucas hitting a big shot to give the Rockets the lead at the end of Game 6, and having it waived off on a questionable charge call. I read that coach Tom Nissalke actually addressed the fans on the PA system afterward to complain about the call.
    It's been 33 years, and I still hate the 76ers because of this series. :mad:

8. Agent 86

Agent 86 Member

have to say '93, which encapsulated the "can't get by the sonics" reality of the pre-championship Hakeem teams. the '86 loss rankled, but the celtics were clearly the superior team (as they'd been in '81), and everyone thought the rockets would be back in the finals quickly.

'97 is a close second.

9. Bay Area Rocket

Has to be the 97 series against the j*zz. I still wonder about that game randomly at least once a year.

I was sitting in the upper deck endzone when Stockton hit that 3 on the end of the court my buddy and I were sitting. We stayed in our seats for almost 45 minutes after the game replaying the nightmare in our head and pondering what could have been. We hardly spoke a word. I remember we were not alone as people were scattered everywhere after the game with looks of disbelief. The ushers finally asked us to leave.

If my memory serves me right, Barkley didn't step up to show or get a hand in Stockton's face. Soooooooo brutal. I can't bare to even replay it.

I hate Stockton, his dirty play, and that girly jumoing celebration he did afterwords.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Gotta go with the '97 series. The other series, we lost the final games based on the merits of all the players on the floor. But to have Malone bear hugging Drexler who we put on Stockton to have a taller defender contesting is just so wrong. I mean, how do you not call that. It wasn't a questionable "moving pick." It was a frickin' bear hug. The only thing missing was Malone lifting Drexler up in the air or giving him a big wet kiss.

1 person likes this.
  11. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

not sure why, but it's the '07 jazz series for me.

the '97 rockets were good, but i didn't think we were better than that jazz team. the stockton shot hurt, but i think we would have lost anyways.

the '05 rockets were a great team to follow...great personalities...clutch players...t-mac was in shape. the mavs were better though (see 40 point loss). ya we got robbed out of a few calls, but the fact that we didn't come to play at all in game 7 shows a lot.

'07 rockets...we had that ****. game 7 was f'n brutal. i was at a cinco de mayo party and i was despondent afterwards. everyone was still trying to enjoy the party...i just went home. hurt that much.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Stockton shot did me in. 97 was my senior year of high school had a lot of things going on and that shot just made eveything worse.

1 person likes this.
  13. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I voted for the Utah loss in 1997, but the sweep by the Sonics in 1996 hurt the most. That's what broke up the championship squad. I knew that the Rockets probably needed to shake things up, but losing Smith, Cassell, Horry, and Chucky Brown was a gut punch after the 2 year championship high.

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

97 vs the Jazz was pretty awful but whenever I think about that I just remember how we killed Stockton and Malone in 95. In 95 we came back from something like 5 down in the last 3 minutes in the final game. Meanwhile Utah had won over 60 games in the regular season and we only won 46. I remember those lame Utah fans holding up signs saying "It's our year!" Their whole arena, including Stockton and Malone, looked like they were going to cry when we knocked them out. I laugh like a hyena every time I think about it.

So... I can let '97 slide mostly out of pity. Besides the Jazz were thoroughly embarassed in the Finals twice, which made me feel a lot better.

'07 was painful, but I have a lot of respect for Deron Williams. We simply had no answer for him, and unlike virtually every other Jazz player in history he's a class act. And besides, I can laugh about '95 again when I get pissed about this.

I have still never gotten over '05. There is no explanation for what happened with Dallas, except that Finley was hiding in a grassy knoll.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i remember barkley ran to cover him b/c nobody was on him. i blame clyde b/c i thought he was closer but didnt care. i also remember clyde smiling when it was over. he and barkley had some feud throughout the season as well. then again i could be misrememberin'.

16. Agent 86

Agent 86 Member

"up and over" sounds a lot like "back and too the left..."

17. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

The '97 series. I was 13 yrs old and it was one of the worst days ever for me. I remember being so depressed with my friends afterwards.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

97 to the Jazz, no doubt. I was brought to tears when Stockton hit that shot. I thought we were actual title contenders that year, unlike all the more recent losses. I'm too young to remember the 80's.

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Wow. I saw the bearhug on the little TV in my wife's hospital room. How could you possibly put any blame on Drexler for that. I mean, I could see a LITTLE bit on Barkley but Malone was trying to make out with Drexler on the court.

"Hold me."

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I was stuck watching this game at Auchan while my parents were shopping. I was one pissed off kid.

They all hurt a lot. I remember how sad Hakeem was when he missed that 3 against the Sonics so I went with that series.