1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

which nba playoffs series loss hurts you rocket fans the most of alltime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket94-95, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
?

which rockets nba playoffs series loss hurts you rox fans the most alltime?

1. rockets vs. sonics 1993 west 2nd round 4-3 series loss

4.9%
  2. rockets vs celtics 1986 nba finals 4-2 series loss

2.3%
  3. rockets vs utah 1997 west finals 4-2 series loss

36.6%
  4. rockets vs dallas 2005 west 1st round 4-3 series loss

29.8%
  5. rockets vs lakers 2009 west 2nd round 4-3 series loss

5.1%
  6. rockets vs utah 2007 west 1st round 4-3 series loss

16.4%
  7. rockets vs seattle 1987 west 2nd round 4-2 series loss

0.4%
  8. rockets vs utah jazz 1998 west 1st round 3-2 series loss

4.0%
  9. rockets vs celtics 1981 nba finals 4-2 series loss

0.2%
  10. other

0.4%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1997 and it isn't close (for me).

That team should have won it all, the Bulls didn't want anything to do with us.

Barkley got cocky after sweeping the Wolves, and influenced a lot of the team. So they didn't step on the Sonics throats, needed 7 games, and were gassed against the Jazz. Charles made it worse running his mouth accusing Dream and Clyde of not going all out, destroying the Rockets' chemistry and setting the stage for Clyde's retirement in '98.

Gawd that team was so talented.

Maloney (pure sniper roles since Clyde handled the ball)
    Clyde
    Mario
    Barkley
    Dream
    ---------
    Willis handling the backup 4/5
    Sam Mack with the dynamic offense off the bench
    Eddie Johnson as another sniper perfect for the Rockets' inside out offense
    Othella Harrington and Chuck Jones
    Brent Price (when healthy) and E-Davis

That Stockton shot will always kill me. That series was also the effective end of the Dream as an unstoppable force.

2 people like this.
  2. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

i immediately thought of the 05 dallas series when we were up 2-0 on dallas headin back to Houston and lost by 40 in game 7, that one really hurts

games 3 and 4 were errily similar, in both games were were up in the 4th quarter 88-82 and just needed to score a few more buckets to win those games but we were stuck on 88 for for a long time and dallas came back and won both times, sooo heartbreaking

that game 7 loss on our homecourt to utah was also amazingly painful.. its a tuf call between those 2 series

3. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

wow i didnt think about all that, i guess since its further from memory i kinda forgot how devastating that loss was..

and if u look in the corner of the screen on that stockton 3 pointer, u can see karl malones cheating ass holdin Drexler from runnin out to contend the 3, it was all-time sickening

4. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

It also hurt to watch T-Mac play so hard against the Jazz in 07 and against the mavs in 05 but still fall short.....

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

That's the one I voted for. That was Stockton's 3 right? The same series Eddie Johnson hit the shot at the buzzer. One of my lowest points in Houston Sports History:

Stockton's Three
    Yao's Foot
    Bills' Field Goal to beat the Oilers in Overtime
    Pujols' Home Run off Lidge

ALL GUT PUNCHES that still hurt. I literally woke up in denial the next day after each of these events. Pujols' Home Run especially. My wife said I tossed and turned all night. LOL (not funny at the time)

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Don't want to turn this into baseball talk but Pujol's HR is a close second for me for one singular moment. I know we won the next game but that HR killed it for me till we started the WS. DAM YOU PUJOLS, MALONE and STOCKTON...DAM YOU ALL.... :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

'05 MAVS. Going into game 7 I felt pretty optimistic about our chances and to lose by 40 was absolutely heartbreaking, that was a fun team to watch. Being too young when Hakeem and the boys had their run in the 90's, the '05 team made me a die-hard Rockets fan

8. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

On the topic, what was the underhand three fingered thing those guys did after they made a three?

9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I've never watched that game, yet I can still feel the ice-cold dagger in my heart every time I watch that clip of Stockton hitting that three. It was just so awful to face the realization that we lost. Had we won, we would've faced the Chicago Bulls and finally shut up every hater's mouth who put the * under our Championships because Jordan had retired. It's a moment that every Rocket fan, seen the game or not, should loathe to remember.

Seeing as how I'm a younger generation, the three playoff losses during the Yao era also stung. The '05 playoffs were just a slap in the face by the NBA. The referees were just terrible and cost us the series. The 2007 playoff loss against the Jazz shouldn't of happened. Just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

And finally, the 2009 playoffs. This one is probably second for me because, if you think about it, had Yao and Mutombo stayed healthy, we would've beaten the Lakers. After them, who was left to face? Denver and Orlando. We would've whipped up on both teams and won a championship. Oh, what could've been...

Houston sports... :(

10. tomjc

tomjc Member

Tmac: "It's on me"

11. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

The 1997 Western Conference Finals. Hurt bad, still hurts. I dont know why, but the 2007 Western Conference First Round Game 7 is a close second. I think the 2007 series hurts because that was our shot. Game 7 on our floor. We had leads in that series of 2-0 and 3-2.

Also, I will never forget the feeling in the Toyota Center being up 5, 88-83 with about 4:40 left on the clock. The atmosphere, the crowd, everything. There was no way that crowd was going to let the Rockets lose. But we could not grab a rebound and Okur was absolutely killing us.

I will never forget the feeling walking out of the Toyota Center that night. In retrospect, it hurts even more, because it was really the only legitimate shot the McGrady & Yao Rockets had:

2005: They were too young
    2006: Yao and McGrady missed substantial portions of the season
    2007: Only real shot.
    2008: Yao with the stress fracture in his foot
    2009: McGrady with microfracture surgery.

Add to the fact that the playoffs were set up perfectly for us, with the Warriors upsetting the Mavs, we would have had home court in the second round as well. We would have potentially had another 1-10 series. Dont forget that the Rockets won both games in San Antonio that year. They did lose both at the Toyota Center that year too.

2006-2007 Rockets were a special team for me. I only missed seeing 2 games, that entire year. I went to 29 home games and all 4 playoff games. I went to the December 2006 game in San Antonio. I also went to all 3 pre season games. I was just very emotionally invested.

12. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

I effin hate the Sonics.

I hate Kemp, I hate Payton, I hate Hersey Hawkins, I hate Detlef Schrempf, I HATE Sam Perkins, I hate George Karl (pre-cancer), I hate Dale Ellis. I hate their stupid ugly colors and their stupid ugly jerseys. I hate their stupid arena. What was it even called? Key Arena?

Ugh, I effin hate the Sonics.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gotta be the Dallas series...Too many questions arose about unfair officiating, going home up 2-0, Finley out of bounds steal. I've never yelled at a TV more in my life. Phantom fouls and so many flops. ARRRRGHHH! :mad:

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That sonics series hurt bigtime because the rox could easily handle the suns and they had a great record vs the bulls. That team would've won the title that year.

15. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

you mean you hate the thunder? the sonics franchise moved to oklahoma you know in 2008

16. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

Did I mention the Thunder? Did I mention Oklahoma? No.
    I hate the Sonics.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

The '05 series with the Mavs. I was only a kid back in the 90s so I don't know much about those series.

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Hahhahahah

19. Pete the Cheat

that 2005 series leaves too many "what if" moments haunting my psyche and funny tastes in my mouth...

the donaghy aspect only made it more sour.

I remember thinking (at the moment t-mac didn't call a time-out and drained the game winner right over van horn)...that is the best player in the league...

I hadn't felt that way since hakeem and it was pretty surreal. the rest of the series just reeked of BS.
    ...the lazy/cheap fouls on the yao screens. the bad taste in my mouth returns...

while I have effectively digressed...we never saw that t-mac again. and you have to wonder if that series was the precursor to crushing his weak psyche...

and I wonder...

20. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

What year was this? Rockets down three to Utah in the 4th, under a minute to go. Bobby Jackson hits the game tying three, that is then called off because AK flopped away from from the ball.