1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which head coach do you want the Rockets to hire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Apr 11, 2023.

?

Which head coach do you want the Rockets to hire?

1. Kenny Atkinson

39 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. Ime Udoka

72 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Nick Nurse

75 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Adrian Griffin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Frank Vogel

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. James Borrego

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Other (specify)

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. DreamR

DreamR Member

I would be good with either of Nurse, Udoka or Atkinson

I would be willing to give Cassell & Vogal a chance if they're hired

Aruba77 and mightybosstone like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

is it safe to say the rox should just focus on one of the coaches that’s been under a pop system? no need to waste time with the pretenders

PeterKingX likes this.
  3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We need elite coach.

No more rookie coach experiment.

Past 3 seasons is enough!

bmelo and Tfor3 like this.
  4. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I agree with you on this, and it's the only reason I didn't vote for Vogel, who is my second option.

Everyone's talking about accountability, but the Raptors/Lakers played really good defense and that speaks to accountability with Nurse/Vogel for me. I don't see how Ime can hold anyone accountable if he can't even hold himself accountable in a marriage/corporate position. No thanks on him. If I had to pick a 3rd option, it would be Atkinson. Those boys played hard as hell in Brooklyn for him.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Stay away from Nurse

6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

OMG its exciting to think we might have an actual coach next season

BamBam likes this.
  7. J Rock

J Rock Member

Let’s hope so. With Stone you never know.

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Interesting between the two HC vacancies with Detroit and Houston, both teams are interviewing completely different groups as candidates

Jontro and PeterKingX like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No longer want Atkinson after seeing his record of 117-190. That’s almost as bad as Silas. Hearing Nurse staying with Raptors, it’s Udoka or Vogel. Love Cassell but need the experience.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

It needs to be somebody who was someone in the league. Someone who can look at a young player and honestly say "I've been there - I can show you how to get there." Who was our best coach ever? Rudy T, 5x all-star.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Your comment on Udoka makes no sense. People fall and have flaws in their lives and reality is a lot of people cheat. You have flaws yourself. Aint no one perfect. Do you actually think everyone in the Corporate world is sinless? According to your logic there is a link between infidelity in marriage and job performance. Can you prove this? And Did Udoka deny that he never did this? If not then how was he not accountable for his actions? Besides none of this has anything to do with the main agenda which is coaching professional NBA basketball.

#91 Stephen_A, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not necessarily. Coaches need to get their start somewhere and teams look at who they think is the best fit in terms of utilizing the roster, philosophy, and vision. And having assistant coaching experience and a good name around the league helps these coaching evaluations. Several top coaches didn’t have any head coaching experience including Jenkins of Grizzlies, Spoelstra, and Mazzula with Boston. Nurse or Udoka didn’t have any NBA head coaching experience either. And guys like Budenholzer of the Bucks, Malone with Denver, or Bickerstaff didn’t necessarily have a stellar record as head coach before they started winning consistently with better rosters. So this theory of a high profiled experienced coach holds little weight.

#92 Stephen_A, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Udoka was sleeping with that woman the whole time yet that did not affect his ability to lead and galvanize his team whatsoever

it’s amusing how much people try to over-blow what he did

“Ime cheated! He can’t hold anyone accountable! Don’t want!”

meanwhile…

“Since the start of the season it’s kind of been a whirlwind of emotions,” Brown told The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn. “We’ve been able to reconcile and win games despite that loss of the presence of Ime Udoka. He was great in our locker room. He was a leader in our locker room. He held it down. He brought us together defensively, helped us get over that hump and get to the Finals. I want to see him back on his feet. I said it before and I’ll say it again.”

"Whatever happened, happened and that doesn't have anything to do with me but I can't take away the relationship me and him have and the impact that he had on me in that one season” Tatum said. I love Coach K. I love Brad. I love Joe. I love all those guys but just a different kind of a relationship I had with Ime. Probably like my most favorite coach I've had and that's not a knock on anybody.

players don’t give a damn about what he did

BaselineFade and Jontro like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

so now it seems like which top coaches want to coach this young undisciplined group

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That seals the deal for me. Ime is the man and then Brown will demand a trade to the Rockets (blind optimism on this part).

RasaqBoi and Reeko like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

After Steve Nash’s abrupt departure, suspended Celtics coach Ime Udoka is on the verge of being hired by the Nets for the coaching job. Udoka was suspended for “violations of team policies” after a report surfaced about his alleged involvement in an “improper” consensual relationship with a female member of the team’s staff.

In an interview with the Boston Globe,Celtics guard Marcus Smart gave his reaction to the reported move.

“Obviously, we wish he was here,” Smart said Wednesday. “We have no control over that. It definitely sucks. I guess it was deemed that whatever happened was enough for him not to be the coach here, but I guess not enough for him [not] to be a coach anywhere else, obviously.”

Smart appeared to be unhappy with the move and the front office’s communication on the situation.

“[Udoka’s] name got slandered and slaughtered and it was ‘He’ll probably never coach again,’” Smart said. “And a couple of months later now he’s possibly going to be the coach of one of our biggest rivals? It’s tough. It makes no sense. But we can’t control that.”

BaselineFade and cheke64 like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Dang, I was hoping they’d hire the tank commander, “Coach Stephen Silas”.

18. invocux

invocux Member

Udoka. I think he would get the best out of the youngsters we have.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Having an affair with a married subordinate is not a good look, and speaks poorly to his decisionmaking and character, but it is not necessarily a dealbreaker. What bothers me is the unconfirmed reports that the relationship may not have been consensual after all. The front office would have to do their own diligence about this, but if they think that aspect is true I hope they don't touch Udoka with a ten foot pole.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That would be a game changer and if that is real smoke and not just click baiters, no one should hire him.

OremLK likes this.