1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which has been the biggest factor in the WS?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dream_team, Oct 26, 2005.

?

The biggest factor we're down 0-3?

1. Starting Pitching

42.4%
  2. Bullpen

24.2%
  3. Morgan Ensberg

18.2%
  4. Coaching

15.2%
  5. MLB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dream_team

dream_team Member

With every game going down to the wire, the Astos could have easily been up 3-0 right now, instead down 0-3. What do you think has been the biggest factor of us losing these games?

Starting Pitchers: During the regular season, we won games by scoring a few runs and let the big 3 shutdown the other team's offesne. The offense has been scoring a few runs, but our big 3 hasn't been dominant.

Bullpen: The highly-acclaimed bullpen hasn't stepped it up this post-season. They didn't step up when Clemens had to leave early, they couldn't protect the lead in game 2, and astacio was a joke in game 3.

Morgan Ensberg: Talk about one of the greatest disappearing acts in the post season. How many times has Morgan been at the plate this series with a chance of giving the astros the lead... but he's failed to produce. Not to mention, he's offering no protection to Berkman. The clean-up man is supposed to be cleaning up!

Coaching: There has been some questionable calls on the coaching of failing to move players over with a sac bunt, or by-passing good opportunities to try a squeeze play.

MLB: With each game being so close, every little thing becomes a factor. The Dye mis-call on being hit. Forcing the stros to open the roof.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Big Three had not carried the team. The team is built around great pitching and average hitting. The hitters have scored enough runs in the last two games for wins.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Minute Maid Roof

4. Summer Song Giver

clutch Hits and my lack of fandom

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Hitting with runners in scoring position. We won despite this in the NLCS, but it is killing us right now.

6. msn

msn Member

You forgot Joe Crede. Without his glove, the Sox lose Game 2 by at least four runs.

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

By far clutch hitting. The fandom argument is crap. The house was rocking last night.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

You HAVE to go with Ensberg here

Starting pitching - Yeah Oswalt gave up 5 runs in the 5th but we were only down 5-4, but Pettitte gave you a GOOOD outting 4-2 lead when he left, and Clemens was injure but the score was only 3-3. (All game still winnable)

Ensberg has dont NUTHING in this series but a solo homerun. How many times has he left someone in scoring position when he had a chance to knock them in. How many time has he STRUCK Out! Hitting only .147 as your clean up man :rolleyes:

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I picked Ensberg, but I can't completely fault him. From what I understand he cannot even grip the bat the way he normally does as a result of being hit in the hand and he has not even been close to the same player since that happened. Morgan's struggled and the Astros have really paid for it.

Personally, I think losing the first 3 games in the series has been a real team effort.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hitting with runners in scoring position has been our biggest problem all year. Our unbelievably outstanding pitching staff has carried us all the way to the World Series, but even if you have Cy Young, Walter Johnson and Bob Feller as your starting three, there is no way in hell you will win a World Series if you cannot drive in runners in scoring position.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's been STRANDED RUNNERS. Everyone knows this because FOX reminds us EVERY FRIKKKIINNN' TIME we have a runner on base, whether it's a walk or a bunt or a triple... I fricckin' hate FOX for that... :mad: Man, put a different stat already... :mad:

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Bottom of the 9th Burke on 3rd .... Biggio on 1st 1 out Taveras up

now Taveras is not a fly ball hitter and I know he doesnt hit much sac fly.

Dont you SQEEZE? or pinch hit for him?

He'll either ground out or strike out if he was to get out.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think the posts here have been the biggest factor.

oh, and drayton mclane.

but it's mostly bob sura's fault.

14. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

15. msn

msn Member

Sure--the 3Bman is standing only ten feet from home plate, let's squeeze! That'll work! :rolleyes:

On another note, it's easy to say Taveras is not a fly hitter, but have you seen the basehits he had the last few games? All deep *fly* balls in the gap.

16. RocketMan Tex

The Sox were expecting the squeeze from Taveras in the 9th last night, and would have played it perfectly. Looking back (and hindsight is always 20-20) they should have pinch hit for Taveras with someone who can hit a flyball to the outfield. But....it's easy to judge after the fact. It's much tougher to make the correct decision while it is happening.

17. RocketMan Tex

I've changed my mind.

The biggest factors in this year's World Series have been the ghosts of Shoeless Joe Jackson and Muddy Waters.