1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which actor/actress sucks the worst?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Aug 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Nero

Nero Member

I never said he was on a list of actors who 'suck the worst'. I mentioned him strictly as part of a discussion on 'worst casting decisions'. I like Jackman, I think he has done as good as job as he could have in the role. And he has done just fine in movies like Swordfish, Kate & Leopold, and even The Fountain. All I am saying is that he was not right for the role of Wolverine, nothing more.

And the fact that many people who have seen the movies may not be familiar with the comics in no way excuses the horrendous casting choices for the movies. Come on, Anna Paquin as Rogue? What the heck were they thinking? And look at how they couldn't decide what to do with Storm - accent, or not? African or not? Bleh. Too many suits involved.

Now don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the X-Men movies, for the most part. But you have to understand, and I am not alone in this, that the people who have been reading those comics off and on for the past 30 years had been dreaming of one day seeing the property made into a movie (or movies). And the producers of the film should have given more care to the characters and the choices they made in casting.

It's the same kind of thing that happened with the Hulk (Eric Bana? another terrible casting choice) and the Fantastic 4 movies. Alba and Gruiffud were the wrong choices for their roles, and Julian McMahon was not right for Doom, as well as how they completely stupid-i-fied the Doom's story.

Hopefully, since Marvel is now taking the 'indy film' route to making movies, we will see more faithfulness to the property in Iron Man. So far, it's looking good, and since Marvel is making it themselves instead of a studio, maybe it won't get so jacked around that it becomes a shell of what it should be.

2. Nero

Nero Member

Big difference between the oh-so-predictable pavlovian response of 'Keanu Reeves!' whenever someone says the words 'bad actor' in a sentence, and committing the apparent heresy of saying that Jackman was not the right choice to play Wolverine.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm also not too keen on Heath Ledger as The Joker, but that's just because Jack Nicholson played him so perfectly, anybody else will pale in comparison...

Y'know who would made a great Joker, but they actually played another character in the series....

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine....pretty good....he couldn't be too much like comic book one...cause it would not translated to screen well. I know who would've been perfect for Wolverine, but they probably didn't have acting skills......Chris Benoit.....!!!

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It wasn't really because the movie was terrible movie...but it was sort of different from the comics....the comics were less cartoonish...V is a anarchist, instead of freedom fighter. But both were fighting against statism/fascist government.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the above. I didn't read the comics, so do I think Anna Paquin and Halle Berry were strange casting choices....yes, but that's just because I thought they were strange. I liked Hugh Jackman, Ian, Stewart and some of the other characters.

But, in the end, the series grossed over $1 billion and made over $800 million in profits. Maybe in retrospect they might have made some other casting decisions, but it looks like it worked out ok for them, no? I'm not saying you can't make a better movie that's still successful (Batman Begins was great on both fronts, imo), but you can't stay true to everything. LOTR, Harry Potter, Comic based movies, Stephen King thrillers, Jurassic Park....even enormously successful book to movie conversions, not everyone is happy.

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

You got it, dude.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I can't believe no one brought up:

Matthew Broderick

Inspector Gadget (gouge my eyes)
    Godzilla (gouge eyes and commit hara kiri)
    Stepford Wives (gouge eyes, hara kiri, instant death)

This guy has been living off of Ferris Bueller his whole career.

8. Nero

Nero Member

You know, I was thinking his name today too, but the role I was thinking of was in The Producers.

I know, I know, he was reprising his widely-praised Broadway role along with Nathan Lane.

All I know is, he sucked in the part, and if that is how it played on Broadway too, then this is another classic example of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' in action.

I agree, with Wargames and Ferris, everything seems to have been downhill from there.

And for some reason, that brings me to another guy who I had forgotten, but who is unsurpassingly awful: Crispin Glover. That dude belongs in an institution, not in movies.

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You forgot Wargames.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

biloxi blues was good the first time around.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I like Matthew Broderick. His roles make me laugh whether he's serious or not.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Election
    The Freshman
    Strangers With Candy
    Glory
    Ladyhawke

13. Showtizzle2642

wow seriously this guy hasnt been named yet?..... by far the worst thing to happen to the history of film.... Vin Diesel...

How his suck ass acting has made him millions is beyond me..... mr. one liner ... what a suck ass

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

V for Vendetta is one of my very favorite movies ever and was the first HD-DVD that I bought. You may overtake Nomar for horrible movie taste.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know if he's bad, but since One Upon a Time in Mexico, and Pirate$, I've wondered if Johnny Depp was just a little overrated. It seems his strength was less in actual acting than in just choosing a lot of good and challenging projects.

And, believe it or not, I would give Ben Affleck the exact opposite criticism. I've always sincerely felt this guy had the potential to be a decent niche actor, but he just turned out to be a bad decision factory, professionally and personally. Lots of action and suspense thrillers that seem to contradict his goofy, self-deprecating personality.

Halle Berry is hard-working and likable (to some), but also a crappy method actress with a pretty face and good demographics. Seems talented directors have chosen her out of necessity: because Angela Bassett and Alfre Woodard were too homely; and Garbielle Union, Vanessa Williams, Nia Long, Tamala Jones and Sanaa Lathan are waaaay too talentless.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'll say that Matthew Broderick is a good actor...just chooses more bad roles than good ones....kind of like Halle Berry now and Cuba Gooding (jeez what are they thinking)

17. Nero

Nero Member

Really? You've got to be kidding. Have you actually WATCHED that movie? 'Sophomoric' is about the highest praise it deserves, and believe me, I WANTED to like it, I really did, especially with the Wachowski connection, I just assumed it was going to be really cool and excellent, but it wasn't. It was one of the most poorly-written and ill-conceived films I have ever seen.

Seriously, it was about what you would get if you gave a big budget movie production to a bunch of 14-year-olds, and told them to make whatever popped into their minds.

18. JunkyardDwg

Jackman was good..but saying he played the role perfectly is like saying the first Batman was perfect and a remake would pale in comparison....well that movie has become seriously dated and Batman Begins completely owned every other entry in the franchise (even the Tim Burton ones)...Jack Nicholson may have been quite good as the Joker, but I for one welcome a darker, more sinister version of the villain; don't know if Ledger can pull that off but I'm willing to give him a chance.

19. JunkyardDwg

To be fair...he was great before he became a star...Saving Private Ryan, Pitch Black (excellent work) and Fast and the Furious (B movie fun)....went all downhill from there though.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

I found them totally boring. The stories didn't interest me, the characters didn't interest me. Visually IMO, From Beyond is the closest movie to an X-Men movie I've seen.

McKellen was miscast. It was obvious he cast on the strength of his roles in Richard III and Gods & Monsters but Black Tom would have have suited him perfectly.