1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where's the best pizza (place) in Houston ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Troy McClure, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Collina's has great pizza and good pasta to boot. The luncheon size pizzas are around $6 and come loaded with toppings. The calzone and foccacia are excellent too.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

When he bought the property he is on now on Washington (used to be Leo's Mexican Restaurant), it came with the lease for the buildings where Rockefellar's and the Satellie Lounge were. He told the owners of the Satellite that they were no longer welcome in their building because he was afraid their parking would hurt his business.

Of course, I know LOTS of people who would've loved to go to Star for dinner before going to the Satellite or going there after seeing a show.

He literally gave them 30 days notice to vacate and a lot of artists had already been booked out as far as 90 days. The people who ran the Satellite tried to give him assurances they wouldn't take up his parking space. After all, when Satellite AND Rockefellar's were both going strong, they never invaded Leo's space. But, the guy just told them to get out.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It's OK. It will be our little secret!:eek: ;) :D

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Barry's pizza thick crust (wheat w/ chicken, feta, and garlic) is my favorite in town. They also have a killer antipasto.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

My wife always vouches for Barry's Pizza as being the best.

just so happens that they are opening a new one here in NW Houston.

6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

That's the one I was going to reccomend. It's great looking on the inside, you order a pizza and they bring it to your table. It's located off of Richmond and (I think) Fountain View, across from Dave and Busters.

Pugs

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Is there any place that makes a reall good crispy type thin crust?

8. tozai

tozai Member

Star Pizza is the most overrated crap. Takes forever too.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

codell.. where at in nw houston?

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Barker Cypress and 290

11. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Thanks, yall. I like Spinach. I want to know where i can get a good plate of Spinach and Chicken. Baked chicken. I dont want to start another thread though.

Hmmm... I dont think I wanted pizza in the first place. Just the spinach.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the Brother's Pizza by my house in spring (45-cypresswood) has the best NY style pizza this side of.....well, NY. i go there every time i'm back in town. loaded w/ grease, extra thin crispy crust..... dammit i want one right now! there isn't a single place in San Marcos that sells NY style pizza and it pisses me off.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Go eat at Late Night Pie.

Thank me later.

14. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

When I went to A&M they had a place called Double Dave's unforuntaly within walking distance of my apartment. I was there all the time. I won't say they have the best tasting pizza I've ever had, but what I do love about them is they have a great variety on the buffet. Pizza rolls, calzones, obviously pizza, and a few other things. They recently built one by my house in Friendswood, I love it, but I usually can't get my gf to go with me. There might be a few more in Houston, I haven't bothered to check. It is also a great atmosphere there, that's definitely one of the things that makes me want to go back.

Pugs

15. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Tex, were you on crack when you tried Antonio's? I've been eating there for years and those guys take the time to make the pizza & use the freshest stuff as well. Anyone who compares an established dine-in Italian restauarant's pizza to Swanson's must not get out to eat too much.

Manhattan Pizza is great, but it's a completely diff style of pizza than Star, or Antonio's, or Fuzzy's for that matter. If you like that kind of New York, floppy greasy pie then Manhattan rocks. If you like something more traditional, piled w/ toppings - Antonio's & Barry's are great. Star is just something different all together.

16. Rocket G

Also, you get different dining experiences depending on which Star location you go to. I refuse to go to the Washington location, now that my fav live music place was turned into a hair salon b/c of it.

The Shepherd location is is great though, especially out on the deck when the weather cools down.

The pizza is great though, it's def not overrated & there's a reason it's constantly rated so high. It does take forever though. That may be more of a function of the employees than anything else. Star reminds me of Mad Dog & Bean's in Austin when it coems to their "hiring practices."

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nope. I was stone cold sober, for a change. And I stand by what I said earlier. Antonio's just sucks. It is pizza for the Chef-boy-ar-dee crowd. Lots of native Houstonians love it. That's because back in the 1970s it was the only place outside of Pizza Hut you could get a pizza here. Not anymore. There are lots of better pizza places than Antonio's Flying Pizzacrap.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

There's also one in Sugar Land on 59 just south of Kirkwood in the Fountains shopping center.

There's also a Double Dave's in Sugar Land at Hwy 6 and Dulles. I don't like their actual pizza, but their pizza rolls are great.

19. Rocket G

Bizarre, my Italian rotation spots are Prego, Pino's, Da Marco, and La Trattoria - depending on the mood & occasion - and I still think Antonio's dine-in pizza blows almost everyone else's away... To each their own.

I've never ordered Manhattan Pizza for anything but to get a quick pizza to eat while watching a game & such. It's just an oily, soggy New York style thing. That may be some people's definition of a good pizza, but I don't remotely consider it to be a quality pie.

Oh and RM95 I agree, Late Night Pie = teh best after a drunken bar binge.

20. Buck Turgidson

Troy - try the Barbara Bush pizza at Fuzzy's: grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, mushrooms & spinach. It rocks.