1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Would you Rank the '13-'14 Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Jun 18, 2014.

?

Where do this years Spurs rank among all time greatest TEAMS?

1. Greatest of all time

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Top Five and Climbing

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Maybe top ten

46 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Just posing the question. The '96 Bulls in my mind were the best team ever until Sunday. I'm not sure they would beat the Spurs in a seven game series. I know the first thing people want to do is something like this:

Parker > Harper

Green <<<Jordan

Leonard<<Pippen

Diaw < Rodman

Duncan>>Longley

But I think it's a lot more complicated than that. Jordan and Pippen were better than Lebron and Wade, but were they that much better? I'm not sure I'm ready to coin them the greatest team of all time, but I can't think of anyone who would beat them. Sure there are teams who had better collections of talent. Hell I can name two or three from this year.

But to go back to the '96 Bulls, they were built very similar to Miami. They relied on turnovers and transition offense. They were better than Miami in the half court game though. What do you guys think?

2. Swag

Swag Member

one of the best teams i've ever seen. right behind the 2014-2015 rockets of course

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

5. Mr. Space City

overall i think the bulls are better coached than miami, play better defense than miami, and their role players outside of jordan probably play better imo.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the best way to put it is: those simulators, and the questions they try to address, aren't meaningful at all. May as well pit Bruce Lee against Kublai Khan.

That said, I could see the Spurs cracking a top ten for sure.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not even in the top 10.

I would take all the Shaq and Magic Laker teams over this year's spurs. I would also take the 80's celtic teams. I would also take the 82 Sixers with Moses over this team. I would also take both Rocket's teams. Prime Dream would abuse old Duncan and Diaw. I would also take 93 and 96 Bulls teams. The Dallas championship team would have abused this team also. Dirk was just sick that year.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't say they are a great all time team. They significantly lack high power talents compared to some of the great teams in history. They just played their best ball at the right time.

9. adobo

adobo Member

If we are basing on the finals and finals alone, then their demolition of the Heat would have to be up their (i.e. Not team has beaten another team in the finals by an avg of +13pts per game). But then you need to consider the opponent (ask yourself, if the Heat were in the West, would they have made the conference finals?)

If you take the whole season into consideration, then they prob could crack top 10.
    95/96 Bulls 72-10 and only lost 3 playoff/finals games, 85/86 Celtics 67-15 and only lost 3 playoff/finals games etc... (you get my drift).

10. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Not in order, here are the teams I consider better than these Spurs:
    70 Knicks
    72 Lakers
    85 Lakers
    86 Celtics
    87 Lakers
    89 Pistons
    91 Bulls
    96 Bulls
    Maybe the 99 Spurs.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Both championship Rockets teams would have beaten the Spurs.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I want to say yes...but its tough. It also depends on the rules, if it was by today's rules then it would be spurs, but by the old rules maybe the 95 squad.

13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The '96 and 97 Bulls teams would have taken out the Spurs in 5 or 6 games.

- The Shaq/Kobe Lakers are better.
    - The Magic Showtime Lakers are better.
    - Larry Bird's Celtics are better.
    - The 94 and 95 Rockets are maybe better, although it's close. SA would have NO answer for Olajuwon; he would have abused Splitter, Diaw, etc. On the other hand, Popovich is a much better coach than Rudy T.
    - The '99 Twin Towers Spurs with the Admiral and a young Duncan are arguably better. That team was easily better defensively. The '14 Spurs would have difficulty scoring in the paint.

The '14 Spurs are a great team that plays wonderful unselfish basketball, but I'd put them about on par with the '97 and '98 Utah Jazz with Malone/Stockton/Hornacek (that lost in the finals to the Bulls).

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fo fo fo '76ers too

15. VBG

VBG Member

Pretty much no non-Rockets fan would take the championship Rocket teams over this Spurs team. Spurs were the number 1 seed and won the finals with historic dominance. Really, their only blemish was the Mavs series. Otherwise, they managed to win 62 games despite not even really trying to win regular season games.

I don't think they're in the top tier of teams which is the 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers, 82 Sixers, 2001 Lakers, 96 Bulls. But they have a good argument for any place after that.

16. VanityHalfBlack

This Spurs team remind me of the bad boy Pistons that won the twopeat.

17. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

Obviously stacked. Lebron's Cavs stood no chance.

18. val_modus

val_modus Member

Spurs had a pretty easy path to the finals, and faced an even easier opponent that anyone they played in the west (besides their first round matchup). Miami simply wasn't tested, they ran through a joke of an eastern conference that highlighted a Pacers team that would be hard-pressed to win an 8th seed out west with their current roster and form. Not taking away from the Spurs, but I personally would take a few teams from this decade alone over them.

19. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers had a hard time with the 2002 Kings. That team was in some ways similar to the Spurs but with far weaker defense and less depth. So I would put the Spurs over those Laker teams.

20. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

How do they remind you of those Detroit teams. That team featured awesome guard tandem, and a tremendous defense, combined with a will to win that was bought from several failed attempts. But their style of play, I think, was quite different. I might just be missing what you see as the similarity, so I'd like to hear some more detail.