1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where were you when??? (Rockets History)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Feb 14, 2010.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Member

Ralph Sampsons shot against LA- Probably my earliest Rockets memory, I was 9! I was living in Pearland at the time and my Dad just happened to be watching the game. Funny thing is, he hates basketball now!

The OJ Game-I was at Mulligans in Atascocita watching the Game with my Friends and his Dad. When the White Bronco hit the screen, everybody just about lost it!

The Eddie Johnson Shot- I was working at Humble City Cafe in Humble and actually lost my job because of this game. I was suppose to work a double, but I refused to come down until the game ended. There was a TV upstairs, and I had it on lock down. Well I was fired the next day.

Charles Barkley trade- Again I was working at Humble City Cafe, and I got a call from my best friend telling me it went down. If you were a fan then, you know for about 3 weeks leading up to the trade there were a hundred different scenarios! That was some crazy news since the Rockets had leveled off after the championships!

Rockets winning the Draft Lottery 2002- I was leaving the theatre just got done watching Attack of the Clones and I checked it on my phone. Cell service for internet was pretty slow then, but I waited it out and finally got the crazy news.

The almost Damon Stoudemire trade of 1998- This one I'll never forget because it was the night before I joined the Air Force. I was at the Hotel that all the new recruits stayed in, then the next morning we went to Lackland for basic training. The trade was one of those rare trades that actually gets announced and everything, but during the approval process Toronto backed out. I remember seeing it on the Bottom line on ESPN. Well I saw a little bit of it, but I had to wait another 30 minutes to see it again. Back in the day the bottom line was like 2 minutes and 28 minutes after the hour!

Both Championships- One with my friends at Mulligans, and the second at my girlfriends house. Second one kinds sucked cause there was no celebration. The first one we all went down the Richmond!

This is just a couple events. Do you guys have any others?

2. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

When Sampson hit that shot my buddy had been saddled up to the bar at Dan Patrick's @ Beechnut and 59 for 6 hours. Everyone in the place jumped up with a roar and started high fiving, just going bonkers .....After this we ran out excited about to head to Fizz. The thing is we had forgotten to pay ....As we entered the car we remembered ...said screw it we'll get him tomorrow....Tally Ho !

I went back the next day and payed Dan personally and we shared a good laugh while talking up the Rockets.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

first championship i remember i watching the last game with my sister at my grandparents' apartment on fountain view, my parents were at the game

4. RyanB

RyanB Member

i was 12 when i became a rockets fan
    it was after watching the Finals it was amazing
    i remember that i could not scream after they won the champ, it was 4 am in our country and everyone was sleeping in the house :grin:

5. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I was at the championship game for our 2nd title. My grandpa took me. He died a few weeks a later. But he was such a big Rockets fan. I was so happy that he got to witness back to backs titles before he passed. :(

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't remember much about the 90's because I was moving so much.

Rockets Championships: I was in 3rd and 4th grade respectively still picking my nose and chasing young tails.

Quitten Trade: I was in middle school and was psyched as hell. Then he quit on us and proved how useless he was without his master. I remember wanting to kick the TV when Quitten messed up that last play against the Jazz and fumbled like a little school girl.

Dream Traded: I was confused as hell, in fact I'm pretty sure this was fiction. Nobody at school talked about it either, which was weird.

Drafted Yao: I was just really proud of the first Asian in the NBA (Wang didn't count). I was a starting my senior year in high school and my friends weren't too thrilled about it.

Traded for MerGady: I was in college and I got the news from here as a lurker. I wasn't a fan of MG at all, although I was glad SF3 was gone.

MerGady finally left our team: I was ecstatic. There was a massive celebration at my house and people were partying in the streets. The organization can finally move on and MG can finally prove to the world that he's a decent role player who can still pass.

7. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I was too DRUNK to remember anything. :confused:

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I saw the OJ chase, like 100 million other people, during the Rockets-Knicks Game 5 of the 94 Finals, I had just turned 10 at the time, because the murders happen on my birthday (I think).

I was out of the town at a funeral, when saw the Rockets throttling the the championship in Bulls, 91-92.

I was just getting out of school for the summer in both championship runs, and watching Hakeem embarrass HOF competition.

9. digitx

digitx Member

I remember the end of the Rockets-Knicks series...Houston's first championship in '94...being in shock for a minute, that we had actually won and not blown the game in some weird way ('83 Cougars) or collapse ('92 Oilers) or heartbreak ('86 Astros, late '70s Oilers)

...then it sunk in and me and my long suffering friends and family went nuts!

Awesome!

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

The only one I remember is the 2002 NBA draft...and beyond
    Rockets winning the Draft Lottery 2002- I remember this one I was going to the 6th grade, and the reason i started to watch rockets basketball(I'm not YOF though)

Both Championships- I was like 4 or 5 yrs old so i don't remember much...

--RB

11. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I was either sperm or a young child. And yes, I'm a young college student. I may be young, but I'm still a very passionate Rockets fan! :)

12. alethios

alethios Member

I was in Sacramento (worked at the nuclear plant there before it closed). I was watching the WCF with my buddy, John, who is a HUGE Laker fan and nothing could compare to the look on his face when that shot went in. I was not quiet, I can tell you that.

13. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

For the Sampson shot I was 15 and at home. The game was on late. When the shot went down my dad layed down on the ground on the ground and kicked his feet like a giddy kid. Then he started pointing at the sad Lakers faces on TV and started laughing at them.

My neighbor was out walking her dog when the shot happened. She didn't follow basketball. She said she just started hearing the whole neighborhood erupting with people yelling in their homes and had no idea what was going on. It freaked her out. :)

14. DCkid

DCkid Member

Elie's Kiss of Death - I was at my cousin's high school graduation. :eek: My brother and I were watching it on a static-y portable hand held TV. When the shot went in all the men in the crowd erupted. The person walking across the stage at that moment probably thought they were getting a huge applause. :)

Almost all the Dad's in the stadium had their earphones on. A few minutes later the principal came on the mic and announced the Rockets had won, and everyone cheered again.

15. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

94-95 season. i first became a fan, only 3 yrs old. watching it here in the philippines :)

13 in 35 was watching it at home baby! :)

go rockets! :cool:

16. mateo

mateo Member

The OJ game - I was in Dublin, at a pub with SkySports, watching the NBC feed and hoping the game would end before the USA v. Switzerland World Cup game started (because the bartender said he would change the channel). That night I won a Hairy Chest contest. That was back when people in Europe thought meeting a Texan was a cool thing and bought you pints (W ruined that)

The first title - At the Hard Rock Cafe in Amsterdam, also on SkySports. That same night the US beat Columbia in the World Cup on a goalie error so I was already hammered before the Rockets Game 7 started.

The Kiss of Death - Chicago, IL. I was best man in a wedding. I missed the first half because of the wedding, but my buddy Ken was in the audience with a portable radio and was giving me the score via hand signals. I was actually miserable during most of the ceremony because we were getting killed. The reception followed and they wanted to do Groomsman pics, but I refused to leave the bar until the Rockets game was over. They took grandparent shots and left me alone. I should note I had a lot of money on the Rockets to win straight up during that game so I was sorta testy all day.

Second Title - Sam's Boat on Richmond.

Eddie's shot - I was actually at this game, I was in the nosebleed seats in an aisle seat and when I jumped up for joy I fell down two rows. I limped home but it was worth it. The only downside was I was with my brother-in-law who is a total tool.

1 person likes this.
  17. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

game 1 blow out against portland which changed the series- yaos restraunt in houston

18. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

LOL best stories. Rep for you!