1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where to stay in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bailey, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

OK, with the release of the latest NBA schedule, the new arena, new uniforms, and the momentous signing of Eric Piatkowski, I really need to get to Houston to see a few games.

I'm planning to visit before Christmas, and I'm scanning the schedule to find a week where I can catch a few home games, and hopefully a Texans game too.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea which area of Houston would be the best to find a hotel. I really don't want to hire a car unless I have to (I could see myself getting very lost, and I've never driven on the right before).

I'm thinking of coming for about a week, so I suppose I'll have time to do some other stuff too. Shopping will probably be quite high on the agenda, but going out would be up there too.

Bearing all this in mind, whereabouts in Houston should I be looking at hotels?

Oh, and maybe some of you guys from the board would be interested in having a bit of a get together...

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I would stay in the galleria area (near the intersection of 610 and Westheimer). Plenty of hotels and right near lots of great shopping and restaurants.

I don't see how you're going to make it in Houston without a car rental for a week. They're only like $20-25 per day for a small sedan.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

4. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Another vote for Galleria - Hotel Derek & the Inercontinental are pimp.

It's centrally located - the best shopping is around you, great restaurants & strip clubs further west, 10 minute drive to dtown & the new arena...

5. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Yeah I'd say get a car too!
    I remember when I lived in Houston,I wasn't old enough(or just barely) to drive and it would be hell to get fro one place to an other without somebody to drive u there.
    What u have to understand is that US cities aren't like Europeens.By that I mean that there is much space to expand the bounders contraly to here where the territory is much smaller.

ALA

6. Buck Turgidson

Definitely...keep us posted.

Think you can smuggle in some Cubans? (insert obligatory RM95/Codell Seinfeld dialogue here)

Since the weather will be nice that time of year (definitely walkable outside, unlike now), and some (definitely), much (hopefully), or all (yeah right) of the construction downtown will be finished in the next 4-6 months, you should consider staying downtown. You should still get a car though.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I assume we are talking about cigars, rather than cheap labor. If we are talking cigars, I will gladly contribute serious cash for the cause!

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I agree about the cars..you cannot survive in Houston without one.

The only problem I see with the advice you have been getting so far is that the Galleria area traffic is an absolute nightmare..

Maybe a better idea would be inside the loop..maybe somewhere around the area where the Summit is.....or maybe the hotel by Reliant..

Advantages of the Reliant complex area are, easy access to Reliant stadium for the Texans game..and getting to the Galleria area or the Showroom is just a hop on the freeway away..

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah but how much does it cost to stay near the Galleria area. My understanding is that is a pretty nice place to stay hence EXPENSIVE.

10. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Well you could stay downtown. There are numerous hotels right by the Toyota new arena thing. Personally I'd priceline something in the downtown area, forget the car, you can take Trollies. As far as shopping goes, the Galleria is awesome (expensive though). In Downtown there is Foley's and the Park Shops Mall and numerous other stores, like the Foot Locker on Main Street.

Holiday Inn Express - close to Toyota

Hyatt Regency

Doubletree

Four Seasons - 4 blocks or so from Toyota

The Sam Houston Hotel

Best Western

Courtyard by Marriot - brand new, about 6 blocks from Toyota.

11. SLA

SLA Member

You DEFINITELY need to get a car. YOU HAVE TO GET A CAR. How do you think you will go around Houston?

You can stay at my house!! :D

The Galleria area would be pretty expensive to stay at...

The Wellesley Inns and suites at Houston Reliant Park

Or the Warwick place by Minute Maid..

Or the Marriott Hotel in Sugar Land Town Square.!

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think he's worried about the price.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

St. Regis Houston
    1919 Briar Oaks Ln
    Houston, TX 77027-3408
    Phone: (713) 840-7600
    Fax: (713) 840-8036

14. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

The Galleria hotels ARE fairly expensive unless you hit up on of the week-long ones or a Red Roof. They are nice & more cost effective.

The Inter & the Derek are for when you wanna live it up or "entertain" back at your room.

The hotels off of 59 are great deals too. If I'm not mistaken there's a decent priced Hilton next to the Colorado.

Just a suggestion, lol...

15. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

RM95, you're right price wasn't the issue about getting a car, it was driving on the other side of the road, in heavy traffic, in a large, strange city.

However, seems that I'm getting a car!

I priced a few hotels in the Galleria area, and they don't seem too bad in price, but if I can save a few quid, then great! I'm coming quite a long way, so sending a bit of money on a hotel isn't a big problem.

Oh, looks like it'll be the start of December (that's when there's a convenient three game home stand), and unfortunately the Texans aren't at home :(

Keep the ideas coming guys. What other stuff is there for me to do at that time of year?

16. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

you will definately need a car... houston is not very pedestrian, bike or mass transportation friendly.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That time of the year, or anytime of the year.

Strip Clubs.

Thank you.

18. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

if u r getting a car, it really doesn't matter where u gonna stay. i personally suggest that u stay here in sugar land, there is alot cheap hotal over here, and highway 59 near by can get u almost anywhere. the horrible thing about live in downtown and galleria is the security and traffic.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Galleria area is very Houstonian. If you want to see what life is like for the middle-class white Houstonian, that is it. Unfortunately, it isn't a facet of the city personality I;m all that proud of. So, I'd vote (as if the decision would be made democratically), for a downtown hotel.

Other things that might be good about downtown:
    * Houston is not a walkable city but downtown is the most walkable part of it. Galleria area is just about the least walkable area.
    * Public transit sucks in Houston, but is more effective downtown than other places.
    * Downtown is not a great place to drive (I hate driving downtown), but many of the streets are one-way, eliminating the trouble of driving on the right-hand side. And, traffic in the Galleria area is very heavy.
    * Downtown has some nice architecture. Galleria area is not a pretty place for the most part. Well-kept but very sterile.

Drawbacks to downtown:
    * Not a great place for shopping. Galleria is the mecca of shopping.
    * Can't think of anything else.

I think you could get away without a car if you (1) stayed downtown, (2) willing to take taxis if you ever wanted to see something outside of downtown, (3) put more stock in the proximity of a restaurant than its specific cuisine or quality (not that they suck downtown -- in fact, they're better than the ones in the Galleria area). I'd still recommend renting a car though.

Other areas not mentioned you might want to consider:
    * Staying in the Galleria area or downtown can be expensive in housing, eating, and shopping. If you wanted to lower overall costs, you might want something like the Greenspoint area, which is relatively close to the international airport. It is on the edge of oblivion (and 20 miles from downtown) and requires a car for everything, but shopping, restaurants and hotel rooms would all be cheaper. Again, it isn't really close to anything noteworthy besides the airport and the racetrack.
    * If you want something less urban than downtown but more character than the Galleria (but don't mind their prices), I'd recommend the Rice University area. Very nice, lush picturesque area. Partly walkable. In the city interior and near many city amenities like the park, the zoo, the museum district, downtown, etc. Lots of little stores. Very well-to-do. The Warwick, which someone mentioned, is on the border.

As for stuff to do, what sorts of things are you interested in seeing in Houston? You want our popular culture (clubs, strip clubs, etc), high culture (theatre, art, etc), tourist magnets (Nasa, and uhh... Nasa), or what?

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I'll reply to my own thread (again).

I'm planning on being in town 8-9 days. My plans include catching three Rockets games, doing some Christmas shopping, and seeing what I can of Houston.

Bear in mind that I live a 45 minute train journey from London, where a car is a positive drawback. Getting around there is a lot easy on public transport. That's why I was asking about hiring a car. If I need to have a car, then that's fine. Particularly as it'll be an automatic, which is almost like driving a toy car :p

Museums and galleries are a must on my itinerary, and I'm not averse to a bit of live theatre too. That's not to say I don't want to see a bit of Houston's nightlife too. Because I definitely do.