1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is the world outrage at how U.S. POWs are treated?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 111chase111, Apr 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Just curious as lot's of people complained about how the terrorists at Gitmo were being treated.

Some issues:

1. The Red Cross has not been allowed to visit U.S. POWs.
    2. They've been used as propoganda on TV.
    3. The Iraqi man who allerted U.S. forces on PFC Lynch's location did so because he saw her being beaten.
    4. If past actions are any indication, you know the U.S. POWs are being tortured (as they all were during the last war).
    5. There is evidence that U.S. and British POWs have been executed.

You <i>could</i> argue that we are an invading force so all bets are off, but those terrorists in Cuba were part of an invading and attacking force and they are being treated lightyears better then our soldiers.

Why no outcry? Why no condemnation of Saddam's regime? This is why I find it hard to take "peace" protesters seriously. They are not consistant in their criticism (or, to be fair, the media doesn't properly report it). They come across as more anti-U.S. or anti-Bush then pro-Peace. There are apparently a large number of French who want Saddam to WIN!

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The Wilt Chamberlain Syndrome.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why in the hell would U.S. citizens protest Saddam. He's going to listen to us. This is a stupid argument.

4. giddyup

Okay, how a bout <b>decry</b> then?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We're America, we're supposed to be better.

I, personally, am sickened, but not surprised at the treatment of our POWs.

I've never understood the argument of "why aren't the protesters protesting Saddam". Do you really not know the answer to that? Are you simply trying to paint anti-war protesters as Hussein sympathizers, when all common sense should tell you that they're not?

6. 111chase111

That's why the title of the post is "world outrage" not U.S outrage. Plus, people in Europe feel it's appropriate to protest the U.S. and we're not going to listen, so why not protest Iraq? If the whole point of the protest is to voice your opinion - exercise Freedom of Speach, so to speak, then why not protest both the U.S. and Saddam at the same time. You know, kind of a "two wrongs don't make a right" protest.

7. 111chase111

I understand your point, but I still don't buy it. It's like your excusing Iraq because "they don't know any better" or because "they were raised differently". Iraq signed the Geneva convention, they should abide by it.

Also, if you "expect" Iraq to act like this, IMO, its another excuse to remove their government.

8. giddyup

How many anti-Saddam signs have you seen at these protests? Isn't he one of the keys to peace for that nation? If I were against the war, I'd make damn sure that my position was known to be pro-US and throw a little denouncement of Saddam in there... or do they not feel that way?

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I had dinner with my buddy, who is a Gulf War vet, and he said that the Iraqis did a lot of raping of POWs during the last war. Considering that nothing is sacred or private in the press anymore, I figure if something like that happened to Jessica Lynch, the press will unfortunately release it, and then there will be plenty of outrage.

Rape is a hard pill for even the most hardcore peaceniks to swallow.....I would hope.

Still, the fact that they were slapping her around while she was on a hospital bed is really messed up.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Again, what's the point? Do you think that if every anti-war protester was to protest Saddam, he's suddenly have a change of heart and step down, or completely reveal where all his WMD are? I seriously doubt it.

We all know how bad Saddam is, and the vast majority of us want him gone, whether through forceful means (which, obviously, is what we're doing), or through a more peaceful solution. You can talk all day about how naive that position is, and that's fine. But there's no reason to criticize these people for not decrying or protesting Saddam...there's really no need, and it'd be a waste of time.

I'm not even close to saying that. All I'm saying is that no one's surprised (or they shouldn't be surprised) by how Saddam's treating the POWs. Of course I think he should abide by the Geneva Convention, I'm just not surprised that he hasn't.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

It's probably a combination of the fact that,contrary to the views of most war supporters, most people against this war are not underthe illusion that SH is Santa Claus, the fact that severe underdogs in military actions have historically not abided by the rules, especially in defense of their own country ( see VietNam, US Revolution, etc. ) and the fact that the vast majority of the world thinks that this is entirely the US' ugly baby,ie we made this war happen against the will of the world, so theyhave little symapthy for the negatives which stem from our actions...I personally don't think that the latter is cause enough to abandon our soldiers to inhumane treatment because of the mistakes of our administration...they are merely doing their job, following orders... if that is what is happening. In that case I am outraged, but my outrage is spread thin with all of the actions I am objecting to since we decided to go this way.

I disagree re: evidence of executions, I haven't seen it. Can you post links, please, otr tell me what I've missed? I have been very busy the past few days, and haven't had much time to watch the news...

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well according to that argument why protest at all? Do you think we are going to stop the war just because some people protest that they disagree with it? I seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

I guess you missed the thread that was posted on here that had a link to Al Jazeera's website which had pictures of soldiers with bullet holes in their forehead (several of them). Ill try to find the link and post a followup for you since you missed it.

Also Macbeth, you really seem to insinuate that our soldiers, as you would put it, are just there cause "they are merely doing their job, following orders" (you have said this several times). Do you really feel that the majority of the soldiers dont want to be there? That they dont believe in the reasons they are there? That they only reason they are fighting is because they are told to do so? Do you not think that maybe there are there because they want to be there? Do you not think that maybe there are there because they believe in fighting for their country?

Just curious ...................

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cause protesters are trying to point out what they believe are good arguments against forceful action against Iraq to a government that's much more level-headed and willing to listen to other arguments. I believe that Bush would be more likely to take notice of a huge demonstration in his backyard than Saddam would be to take notice of one 5,000 miles away, especially when the latter couldn't even handle dissent in his own country.

You're not comparing our government to Saddam's are you? (just kidding about that last part, but see how easily that it can be turned around and how infuriating it is to hear?)

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the execution thing goes back to the original video shown a couple of weeks ago. The videos that showed American soldiers with head wounds. Many experts believe for several reasons that the soldiers were executed and not killed during fighting.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We're America, we're supposed to be better.

Guantanamo Bay!!! Now that's how it is supposed to be done!

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I also believe that had the vast majority of Americans marched in protest of a possible war with Iraq, Bush would've thought long and hard about taking a different course of action. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean that people shouldn't have tried.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

19. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Most of the articles I've seen indicated that she was neither shot nor stabbed, but suffered 2 broken legs. I don't see this link as some sort of revelation.

20. 111chase111

Here is a link that reports a statement from Blair.

http://washingtontimes.com/world/20030328-92610772.htm

So, as I said there is evidence of it but no absolute proof. But I wouldn't put it past them.

I'd like to see the protesters protest Saddam just out of principle. It seems to me (and I realize this isn't necessarily how they feel, but it IS how they portray themselves) that if both sides have problems or are doing things the protesters feel are unjust then the protesters should march against both sides and, more constructivly, present an alternative and realistic solution. (Personally I don't think more inspections would have worked, nor do I think you could have negotiated Saddam out of power either.)