1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is the Marcus Coleman Thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rrj_gamz, May 6, 2004.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't see it and I don't necessarily want to sensationalize his DWI, but c'mon...I thought the ESPN story said he refused the breathalizer (msp?)...

Coleman

Texans' Coleman bonds out after DWI charge
    By S.K. BARWELL
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Houston Texan defensive back Marcus Coleman was arrested for drunken driving after wrecking his car in southwest Houston early today.

He later posted a $500 bond and was released.

Coleman was driving his 2005 Mercedes on Kirby when Houston police said the car veered off the road around 2:15 a.m. and struck a tree near Richmond.

Police said it was unclear where Coleman had been prior to the accident.

Coleman, who came to the Texans in the expansion draft two years ago, was not injured in the wreck. Police said his car suffered enough damage to cause its air bags to deploy.

Coleman was taken to police facilities for testing, officers said

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No one ever says anything bad about the Texans. Actually, I was going to start a thread about this but I forgot, but I'm sure everyone has heard by now.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I hadn't heard this. Thanks for posting it. If he was indeed drunk this angers me greatly and I will be interested in seeing if he is punished for it by the team as well as the law. Yes, everyone should get another chance.. but if he would have killed someone while drunk that person sure wouldn't have gotten another chance.

Like I said in another post a while back.. if he had killed someone this would be a huge story. The bottom line is whether he got lucky and didn't kill anyone or he did kill someone the same crime is being committted.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

before this, what have the players given us to criticize of note? i mean, this is the first time that i know of where a player has run into trouble with the law.

you have a rockets inferiority complex, i think. :D

and what is there to say? it sucks. dude drove drunk, and he coudl have killed someone...idiotic. he ought to be held responsible. who's going to argue with that?? not exactly compelling bbs stuff.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I see that guy out partying all the time. The spot is called Licor Lounge. He is always hitting it up with Jamie Sharper.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Two Texans were arrested last summer in different incidents. Pat Dennis was arrested in a domestic violence incident and Ramon Walker was arrested outside of T-Town.

7. MadMax

pgabriel --

did either see any playing time last season? i'm thinking walker did...but i'm not sure dennis was even on the roster.

coleman was all over the news yesterday...he's a starter and a guy people know. when pat dennis gets caught with a DWI, it's not exactly newsworthy.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I just think this whole notion that the Texans are a squeaky organization and that Charlie Casserly and Bob McNair only bring in players with "character" is ridiculous. There is no way Casserly can know how these players are going to behave so please just focus on winning and quit trying to portray yourselves as the Houston boyscouts.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

P.S.

Dennis got arrested for abusing his girlfriend outside of his apartment complex.

10. MadMax

there's nothing wrong with seeking to bring in good athletes that your organization can be proud of. people will obviously make mistakes...but you don't have to seek out people that you are concerned might sully the reputation of your franchise when you forked over nearly $1 billion for it.

some organizations have a relatively good history with that...others have awful histories with that. but i think we see from teams like the trailblazers that those things CAN be a distraction to a team concept.

11. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

It's one of the main reasons that Sean Taylor isn't here, also we would have had to mortgage our future but I guess who cares now.

12. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

Double post

I was talking about the character issue not the DWI by the way.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im sure this will be his last year with the Texans. First he missed a team meeting last season and now drunk driving. Capers won't put up with that type of image.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh... They actually can get a pretty good idea what kind of character individuals have because they hire private investigators, including ex-FBI agents to research your past behavior as far back as middle school. (evidence)

Past behavior is a reasonable predictor of future conduct. Some teams are willing to take a chance on players when they percieve the potential benefits to be sufficent. The Texans have stated that they are using a differnet metric. The merits of this policy are debatable, but to suggest that these teams don't know every bit of behavorial history is simply wrong.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That's not the only place he goes. I see him almost everywhere.

We shouldn't question him going out cuase everyone has the right to go out, drink and party.

But they need to take responsibility in their actions and not drive when they have drank.

He could have been piss drunk but we wouldn't care as long as he got someone to drive him home or taken a cab.

Just bad judgement.

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Seems to me that most people would say, "Who?" I mean, Walker and Dennis aren't exactly big name players.

We're not talking Carr, Johnson, or Davis.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree and he is entitled to go out and party, but get a cab...

With seeing it all day, and no thread, I just thought we were just looking the other way...

He is the Safety we need, but we need him 100%...

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Patriots know who Ramon Walker is:D

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

An update to Coleman's drunk driving charge:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1800912

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans safety Marcus Coleman must have a breath-analyzing device attached to his car's ignition as he awaits trial on a misdemeanor drunk driving charge, a judge ruled Thursday.

Coleman, free on $500 bond after his arrest on the driving while intoxicated charge early on May 6, made his first court appearance Thursday. Harris County Court-at-Law Judge Jay Karahan decided there was enough evidence for the case to proceed and set a pretrial conference for May 27.

Prosecutors say Coleman was involved in a minor one-car wreck along a street on the near southwest side of Houston. Police arrived to find Coleman standing next to his car and gave him two field sobriety tests, which they say he failed.

Coleman, 29, told police he had four drinks over an undetermined period, prosecutors said. Based on his 210-pound weight, four drinks in one hour would bring the typical male's blood alcohol level near the legal limit of .08, while a longer amount of time would decrease the number.

Defense attorney Rusty Hardin declined comment Thursday. If there is a trial, lawyers would like it to happen before Texans training camp begins July 30.

Houston acquired Coleman in the expansion draft two years ago from the New York Jets, where he played cornerback for six years. He is moving to safety this summer to make way for the Texans' top draft pick, cornerback Dunta Robinson.

The maximum penalty for a Class B misdemeanor is six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Rusty Hardin must be racking in the money with all these Houston athletes