1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is the best place to get advanced statistics on the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Jan 6, 2024.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Where is the best place to get advanced statistics on the team? And where is the best place to understand said advanced statistics?

I've been digging around and figured the best way forward was to enlist the expertise here in the room.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun threads

AroundTheWorld and Dankstronaut like this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Basketball Reference is legit

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Stathead and nba.com

What are you interested in?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For the average person, the best place is probably NBA.com. Number 2 on my list is basketball-reference.com.

There are others that give you various "advanced" like :
    NBAStuffer.com (has a "metrics definition" section you may be interested in)
    PBPStats.com - neat, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

If you're looking for specific stats and really want to learn how they're calculated or what their strongpoints and weakpoints are (or when they "fail"), do a google search for the specific stats. A lot of blog and forum postings go into details (sometimes real detail). There are guys in NBA front offices now who started out writing blogs and posting on forums. Otherwise you just end up being somebody regurgitating numbers without knowing wth you're regurgitating ("Heeeey, why are the numbers on basketball-reference different than NBA.com's?!").

If you're looking to write your own code or something and want raw data, BigDataBall.com has downloadable stats (for a fee) you can do whatever you want with. I got bored and subscribed to their feed to write some simple code and look at numbers, but then realized I could screen-scrape most of their stuff except something like x,y coordinates of jumpshot location (I think) and stopped subscribing. Then I saw some incomplete data and found a rebound they missed for Evan Mobley (I think) in a half of 1 game that was making my numbers come out slightly off. I stopped subscribing after that, I think. lol. But it's kind of fun to play around with if you want to get into coding or just bored.

Most of the other good sites seem to have been bought out or gone the paywall route. :(

AlperenSengun likes this.