1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Kent going to hit?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dream_team, Dec 21, 2002.

1. dream_team

dream_team Member

What's the word on where Kent will be in the batting order? It seems like we have a bunch of good #3 hitters.

what seems logical is putting Biggio back at lead. Kent at 2, followed by Bagwell then Berkman. But Kent seems too good of an RBI man to put at the #2 spot... and Bagwell and Berkman don't really have the speed you would like at #2.

I would really hate it if Kent went #5. Compare last season how good he was when Kent moved in front of Bonds in the lineup... he just went off. If he has no protection in the lineup, we're not getting the full potential out of him.

does Kent seem logical at #2? if yes... I feel sorry for teams that have to start off a game facing biggio, kent, bagwell, then berkman. talk about intimidating!

2. SLA

SLA Member

All I know for sure is Jeff Bagwell is back at #3. I think Jeff Kent will be #4 and Lance Berkman will be #5. Craig Biggio will probably continue the tradition of batting first. They are a pretty good trio.

But I don't know anything about the Astros' pitching. Is it any good?

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I think they will start the season with Lugo, Biggio, Berkman, Bagwell, then Kent. If it works, that's how it will stay. But don't be surprised to see Kent move to fourth and Bagwell fifth. Berkman is entrenched at the 3 spot.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oswalt and Miller are solid starters and all-star caliber pitchers. Many experts predict Oswalt will win a Cy Young in the very near future. Dotel and Wagner are as good as anyone in the major leagues as set-up and closer. If Reynolds is healthy he will be a solid #3 starter. If Hernandez is healthy he will be a solid #4 starter. Anyone of Saarloos, Munro or a couple of others will be a solid #5 starter. They need to add a couple of bullpen bodies and it wouldn't hurt to get another starter in as insurance against injuries.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

3 Bagwell
    4 Berkman
    5 Kent

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

like behad said, berkman's not moving from that 3 spot even with a possible righty, lefty, righty combination. i expect it to be:
    lugo, biggio, berkman, bagwell, kent.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree Behad...I think he'll sandwich Berkman in between Kent and Bagwell, probably starting with Bags in the 3 slot to get that R-L-R combination. Last year, they didn't have protection behind #4 because Hidalgo sucked.

I think we may see Jimah tinker with Lugo and Biggio at the 1/2 in spring training. If Lugo develops his patience, he'll put him in the leadoff slot and stick Biggio #2.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

1. Biggio/Lugo
    2. Lugo/Biggio
    3. Bagwell
    4. Berkman
    5. Kent

The 3-4-5 R-L-R combo is just too tempting to pass up.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

I agree with on this one.

Also, Jose DeJesus Ortiz of the Chronicle was also of the opinion that this is how the order would shape up.

Sandwhiching Berkman between the two would discourage other teams from bringing in the situational lefty to face Berkman.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd like to see it as Kent, Berkman, and Bagwell.

Kent- Thrived tremendously hitting in front of Bonds compared to behind him. Berkman is as close as you can get to Bonds-like protection.

Berkman- Would provide protection for Kent, and would get protection from Bags.

Bagwell- He is accustomed to being pitched around. I feel like he's the most disciplined hitter on the team to hit #5. Assuming he doesn't get much protection from Hidalgo or Ward. Also, if Bagwell is on base (.400 or so OBP), that will help give Hidalgo and Ward some meaty pitches.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

At first I wanted it to be Berkman, Bags, Kent...but I gotta admit you have made a STRONG case.

I like the prospects for us either way.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Julio Lugo at the top of the order scares me.

I'd rather see Bagwell/Berkman batting second with Kent cleaning it up in the four spot.

13. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I would like to see Kent bat 3rd. Berkman could be clean up, abd Bagwell can move down to the 5th spot.

1. Lugo
    2. Blum
    3. Kent
    4. Berkman
    5. Bagwell
    6. Biggio
    7. Hidalgo
    8. Ausmus

I think that line up would do very well. Lugo is not the best lead off hiter but he is not horrible and I think Blum is a good hitter and would produce batting in front of Kent. Kent did very well batting in front of Bonds so it makes since to put him in front of Berkman. Bagwell can still hit but I think Kent and Berkman are better hitters so it makes sice moving him to 5th. Biggio should have plenty of chances for RBI's batting after Kent, Berkman and Bagwell.

Just a thought, what if Kent, Berkman and Bagwell all hit 40 plus homers? Has 3 players of the same team ever done that before?

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

No, but Kent doesn't strike me as a 40 homerun guy. I think that mark is safe.

One mark to look at, if Hidalgo ever regains form, or if Ward finally lives up to his potential, is the 4 30 homerun mark set by the 2000 Blue Jays.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

No, but Kent doesn't strike me as a 40 homerun guy. I think that mark is safe. He's more of a doubles guy.

One mark to look at, if Hidalgo ever regains form, or if Ward finally lives up to his potential, is the 4 30 homerun mark set by the 2000 Blue Jays.

16. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I agree Kent is not realy a 40 homerun guy, but he did hit a career high last year with 37. Now a days power hitters are getting stronger and hitting more homers with age, kind of like wine, it gets better with age. So Kent could hit 40 homers and another thought is where do most of Kewnt homers go to? Minute Maid Park has a short left field maybe Kent will take advantage of that?

I am going to try to perdict the future here:

Berkman 46 homers
    Kent 42 homers
    Bagwell 44 homers

Man that would be awesome, and it could realy come true.

17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

My preference would be:

3 - Kent
    4 - Berkman
    5 - Bagwell

Agreeing with kidrock (among others), Kent's value really comes from the fact that he just MASHES when he's protected in the lineup by a superstar (which Berkman definately is). The only concern about that lineup is whether Bagwell will feel slighted or unappreciated hitting in the 5-hole. I've always thought of Bags as a team player that would make such a sacrifice for the Astros... so let's hope to see at least 100 HR's from 3-4-5 next year!

p.s. With the short porch in left, I think Kent definately has a shot at 40. My current prediction: 43. Damn I hope I'm right.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Hunsicker already said that they would more than likely have Berkman batting 4th so as to get the potential lefthanded bat between two righties.

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Well Berkman is more of a clean up hitter anyway. So I think Berkman would do the best at 4th, I just hope Kent bats 3rd because he went off batting in front of Bonds.

20. Major

Major Member

Bagwell has to be the #3 hitter, IMO. He's the guy who gets on base 40-50% of the time, giving Berkman & Kent someone to drive in all the time. Bagwell could lead the league in runs scored in this lineup. No need to have him consistently getting on base for Hidalgo and Ausmus behind him..