1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Jermaine Taylor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JVL713, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I meant to make these comparisons, because both Taylor and Wallace are/were unfairly in Hitler's doghouse. :( :( [insert crying like a b**** gif here/]

Not comparing their basketball skillset or anything. I really thought JT was making stride towards the end of last season, but I guess not? Its still only pre-season. Taylor will probably play more serious and earn playing time once again, or whenever our other guards get hurt. if this is not the case then more d-league time for him just to set him straight.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That's how I see it. I think it was more of a case of Morey and his crew having Brooks on their radar. They did their scouting and in-depth research on him like they do with all potential draftees. During that process, they probably approached Adelman and had like a 2-minute conversation with him where Adelman expressed a favorable impression. That was the extent of Adelman's involvement. 99% of the decision was made by Morey and his staff as usual.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Z-ro,

I think he made some strides, but to me he looks like a guy who knows he is on the bubble and is pressing too much which is not helping his cause.

Frankly, it is not so much that he doesn't have the talent to eventually make it, to me it is just that the Rockets are stacked with better players than him at his position.

I think if he went somewhere else that did not have a backup SG, that he could play some right now, but in Houston, he is not in the top 15, IMO..and probably not the top 17....

Just bad timing for a guy trying to learn the team game.

Wow are you way off.

A 2 minute conversation? Adelman is deeply involved in the draft, way more than 2 minutes....he has input on everything concerning the players, he and Morey are on the same team in regards to that, and it is Morey's job to get the type of players that Adelman wants or needs.....

DD

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

How can you comment on something you obviously didnt bother checking up on?

The night before you posted that comment, he played 19 minutes and got 6 points on 2-9 shooting with 2 fouls and 3 turnovers for a big -9 +/-.

With a line like that I can see how you might think he didnt play.

6. BrooksBall

I'll agree with that part, DD. The point I'm getting at is that I believe that to whatever degree Adelman is involved, it wasn't significantly different in the case of Brooks.

More than anything, because it's pointless for all of us to speculate (myself included), I tend to believe Feigen's response to the question, particularly because of his choice of words. He was not vague at all.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But you are assuming that Feigen even bothered to ask that question.

;)

DD

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think it's a pretty good assumption. Feign is really tuned in with the Rockets; during the "Nets after Scola" rumor, Jonathan was semi-updating me through direct messages. (i.e., "Never got to "preparing." Were definitely considering. Decided $ too much for guy at Favors' position. Avery, Morey talked. Don't know when.")

As far as Jermaine, I think he's just caught in a numbers game. I don't think it's fair to make any conclusions on his development or progress.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, he is just in a terrible spot for his development, as there are multiple people better than him ahead of him already, and they are in the same window as his career.

I think he needs to move on to get a real shot, it won't happen in Houston unless there are injuries etc.

DD

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

You give credit to the guy making the final decisions. You can work as a team all you want, but it is Morey's prerogative to use or not use Adelman's input. At the end of the day, Morey gets the credit, because when he whiffs he will get the blame.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I never see it that way, because in general coaches and GM's are inexorably linked.

So they are a team and if one goes, so goes the other...

There is no doubt that Morey is picking players for Adelman, and if Adelman fails, Morey probably gets the boot too....

DD

12. BrooksBall

With Taylor, it's almost entirely about mental development.

He has the raw tools to be an impact player at both ends of the court but he has a long way to go between the ears.

I see similarities to Tony Allen. Allen ultimately found his niche defensively over the last season or so after coming back from injury.

Like Taylor, he is a 6'4 SG with tremendous athleticism. Early in his career, he was also considered a poor decision-maker with questionable shot selection who tried to do too much on the offensive end.

I'm not sure whether it'll be with the Rockets, but Taylor can still become a rotation player if he doesn't give up and is put in the right environment where he can find his niche.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

and yet Von is still going fom team to team because he is so efficient. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. BrooksBall

Highly doubt it.

My guess is that Morey is here far longer than Adelman.

Coaches get fired far more often than GMs. My guess is that it is a relatively small percentage of the time where both the GM and coach are fired simultaneously, although it does happen and has happened recently.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is no doubt that Morey has Adelman in mind when making moves, he is the coach of the team afterall. In general, I think Morey tries to get the best talent available, but with all else equal, it can't hurt to try to accommodate to your coach's preferences.

My point is, you don't see people blaming Adelman for Dorsey, Francis, Brent Barry, David Andersen or any other "bad" signings. Do you blame Adelman for signing Ariza? If GMs and coaches are inexorably linked, why do you call him Morey's "mistake"?

If Taylor busts, will it be Adelman or Morey's fault? Even if you think it's both, reality is the GM will get the blame and should get the credit in turn when players work out.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Oh come on, intelligent people realize that it has a lot to do with opportunity and roster etc.

DD

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What did you think about his play yesterday? I mean if he isn't hurting the team, why look to trade him. So far he has done ok with the minutes that he has gotten.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I quite agree. Taking this further, it also has to with teams evaluating what their needs are and evaluating what players are available to fit those needs. Their are probably countless examples of where a team signs a player to fulfill a certain need, but miss-evaluates that players strengths. The player does poorly. Then everyone says how terrible he is. In this case, its the evaluation team that failed more than the player.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I said it earlier, I think he is pressing because he can tell that his chance is really slim and getting slimmer.

I think he probably needs to go somewhere else that is not as deep a team as the Rockets so he can develop.

Or, he could spend the entire year in the D-league working on learning the team game.

I don't think he will get much run in Houston unless there are 2 or more injuries ahead of him.

DD

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't have any desire to let go of Jermaine Taylor. Adelman is high on his potential and I'd rather us see it out then ship him off for the sake of doing it. He has another year left of D-League eligibility and our starting two guard is notorious for missing big chunks of a season.

Not to mention, the words "Houston Rockets" and "injury" should be synonymous by now.