1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Jermaine Taylor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JVL713, Oct 10, 2010.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I saw him get in towards the end of the Magic game, then didn't see him at all in the Spurs/Pacers games.

Alot of people thought this would be his break out year, any reason he is not playing?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This would have been his breakout year... then we traded for Courtney Lee. :p
    He's going back to garbage minutes again.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They are trying to bring Lee up to speed. Taylor will have to wait for Kevin Martin injury to get play time.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Where's our resident J-Taylor fan nut?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This team is too deep. Taylor will have a tough time getting minutes.

PG - Brooks, Lowry, Smith
    SG - Martin, Lee, (Lowry), (Budinger), Taylor
    SF - Battier, Budinger, (Martin)
    PF - Scola, Hayes, (Hill), Patterson
    C - Yao, Miller, Hill

That's 12 deep -- and quality depth at that. We could sustain 2 injuries in the backcourt, and he'd still probably be too low in the depth chart.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They need to trade him for a future 2nd, he has some talent, but he is not going to get any minutes in Houston, he is just not good enough.

DD

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He'll be lucky to get that. Lowry and Bud can play the 2 also.

I think it is safe to say it's all aboard the D-League Train for Taylor.

Jeffries, Ish and Taylor will be in street clothes most nights. Patterson will probably get a D-League stint for a short while.

On a side note I have to say I am a little disappointed in Patterson. I can't stop thinking we could have had Larry Sanders. Especially after the other night when he had 12 points 8 rebounds and 5 block shots in 25 minutes (and that was against greg Monroe who fouled out with 5 points). Oh well I am sure he will develop into a solid player eventually.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree trade him if you can. With C.Lee as the backup SG and Adelman playing 2 points guards at a time, Taylor won't be active much less get playing time. I think Ish Smith will make the team and if you trade Taylor, it creates another roster spot in case you need it down the line.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Don't let his sister hear you say that.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'd give Taylor another year before trading him. It just makes more sense.

First of all, NBA teams get up to 15 roster spots for a reason. If Jermaine Taylor is one of team's top 15 players, you don't trade him just because he won't get any playing time. Talent is talent. And it's not like his "stock" is sky high right now. Given how high on Morey's draft board he was and how much Adelman allegedly likes him, I'm guessing that a second round pick (which may or may not net a player those guys like as much) is not "fair value" in their eyes.

Second, because it's only Jermaine's second year, the Rockets can send him down to the RGV Vipers to get his playing time and to further develop him. The Rockets think Taylor's got a lot of potential, and they're not going to give up on him so quickly.

Third, Taylor is only one year into a nice, cheap long-term deal. He's basically making the league minimum (or close to it) for this year, with his third and fourth years being non-guaranteed. Why give up on him now when there is basically no downside (having a minimum salary contract on the cap) and there is seemingly limitless upside (having him locked in for three more years for cheap if he improves substantially).

Fourth, trades happen. The Rockets are going to look to make a major trade between now and the February trade deadline, and you never know who will be included in a trade. If either Martin or Lee (or even Budinger) gets traded, there may be some playing time opening up for Taylor. You never know.

So, in conclusion, don't trade Jermaine Taylor simply for the sake of trading him. There are just more advantages of holding onto him right now. At least until next summer.

3 people like this.
  11. DaDakota

OK, you convinced me....great post.

DD

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Wow. I managed to change DD's mind about something in one minute!

This is a great day for me.

Somewhere behind my wedding day, the birth of my son and the Rockets' two championships, but better than most others.

Is the commemoration of this event "plaque-worthy"???

:grin:

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That makes a lot of sense. But im still concerned, despite Hill's improvement, that we need another big. All 3 of of our guys at the 5 are questionable in one respect or another. It seems holding on to a guy who is at best a 3rd option, perhaps 4th at positions that are relatively easy to fill, doesnt help the team right now. Granted, what im saying about the 5 is merely insurance, and would likely be a 3rd or 4th option also, but bigs are harder to replace.

Trading him for the sake of trading him doesnt make sense. Trading him to make room for another 5 does. And what of Ish? True its early, but I wouldnt want to keep Taylor if it means letting Ish go.

14. J-Man

J-Man Member

on the bench

15. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Rick Hates Him!

I mean we have a blowout vs the pacers an he doesn't even see any playing time and it's the PRESEASON! Idk what he has to do to get playing time in the Preseason b/c he was the SL leading scorer and made the SL all tournament team. His first ever start he goes up against Kobe and does a ok job an has 15 points!

I mean Cmon Rick play him so he doesn't rot on the bench.

16. DaDakota

KingSteve,

JT just sucks, he is not good enough right now to play in the NBA, he is a head down, no passing, no jump shooting wing.

He is a Dleague level talent, he needs to develop a lot more to really make it.

DD

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Funny you say that. JT style of play is similar to a guy who you liked very much: Wafer. Besides, JT is still learning...

18. DaDakota

Wafer is way way way more efficient than JT, and can score the ball on an NBA Level.

Wafer can shoot the outside shot, if JT had Wafer's outside shooting touch, then he would be pushing for playing time.

THough on this Rockets team, with Lee and Kmart already at the SG spot, neither Von nor JT would make the team....or rather the rotation.

DD

19. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I mean he's in the NBA he doesn't suck he could do well for some teams if he plays.

I'm just sayin it's the preseason shouldn't u give him a chance to play against another team than the same people in practice?

I understand he is basically a one dimensional player on offense I would just like to see him play.

20. DaDakota

Maybe Adelman is rotating some of the marginal players, and he will play tonight.

Alexander Johnson didn't play either, I would bet that JT and Alexander get in tonight over Harris etc.

Don't forget Ish didn't play in the first 2 games, and you can see that he is clealry more of an NBA player than Taylor.

DD