1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Hayes??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Feb 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

The past 2-3 games, I've rarely seen Chuck Hayes play. Why isn't he playing?? Seems like Van Gundy is just playing the starters more minutes righ tnow

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Yea, it's strange. I really hope this is a calculated move by Van Gundy in order to showcase Swift. If he's simply disciplining Hayes for allegedly not getting back on D the other night or just doesn't think he's good enough - eyebrows should be raised. This organization has been pathetic when it comes to developing young talent while the Dallas' of the world are cultivating Marquis Daniels' and Josh Howards.

3. jlivz

jlivz Contributing Member

Hayes is great, but scoreboard baby.

4. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

It probably just has to do with Swift trying harder and playing better.

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

i agree, he has been consipuously missing, but swift has been playing his most consistant ball.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Why are you complaining?! Whatever JVG is doing, he is doing it right. 4 games in a row since Hayes has stopped having heavy minutes.

STro has stepped it up.

Go Rockets!

7. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

I think Hayes can't defend post that good, and he is not good for slow-paced game( against half-court offense team), because he is too limited on offense.

i bet we'll see him play big minutes against Phoenix, and no PT against teams like Miami.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Hayes is on the bench because he doesn't have a jumpshot. He needs to work on that.

9. droxford

droxford Member

After the Seattle game, Hayes has seen very little playing time. I wonder if he pissed off JVG

Hayes' minutes in January so far:<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="1">
    <tr><td align="left">MIA</td><td align="left">23 minutes</td></tr>
    <tr><td align="left">MEM</td><td align="left">13 minutes</td></tr>
    <tr><td align="left">MIL</td><td align="left">15 minutes</td></tr>
    <tr><td align="left">SEA</td><td align="left">16 minutes</td></tr>
    <tr><td align="left">NY</td><td align="left"> 0 minutes</td></tr>
    <tr><td align="left">PHI</td><td align="left">2 minutes</td></tr>
    </table>

10. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

DUDE where is the L??

Where is the Lossess??

The past 3-4 games, I've rarely seen L play. Why arent we playing with Lossess? Seems like JVG is just playing the starters more minutes righ tnow and not utitlizing the L... what a b*stard!

11. droxford

droxford Member

Oh - I'm not complaining. I'm not saying that Hayes should be benched, either. Just wondering if there's other reasons for his loss of PT.

I really don't care who sits or who plays as long as we win.

12. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

dude, ^*&* that. Don't chastise him for asking why our new-found promising young player isn't playing. I haven't noticed a thing wrong with his game. I've noticed plenty wrong with Stro. Then again I'm not a professional coach so maybe there is a reason they aren't playing him. Hence the reason for the thread. I don't think benching Hayes is the reason for the 4 wins.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They are trying to build up Swift's trade value before the trade deadline. Once we trade Swift Hayes will start playing again.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We were outrebounded by something like 56-36 tonight against Philly. Game should have been a blowout except for that. I have a tendacy to think maybe Swift is being showcased too. His performance tonight seemed to be extremely mediocre. I can't help but feel that the rebounding disparity would have been closed and the score been less close had Hayes gotten some minutes.

15. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I'm no expert, but what exactly is showcasing? Any time Moochie or Stro get minutes despite playing like crap we call it showcasing. What does it show anyone besides their weaknesses?

16. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I think it is all about matchups. Did you notice that Deke did not play at all against Seattle and today agains the 76ers. Jon Barry has been ready for 2 games and have not played. It is coach's decision.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If all Stro needs is minutes to increase his trade value then only one of two things can be true....

1. He can play and needs minutes to show it. (Why are we trading him)

2. JVG or Some other Rocket went to him and said "Will you play well so we can trade you"(If the answer to this question was "OK" then I hope we get rid of him fast)

Somehow I don't think that 2 is a valid posibility. I think that what is happening is that Stro didn't like Hayes takin his minutes and is playing well for the time being. Problem with Stro is that he needs outside motivation i.e. WINNING/BEING GREAT does not motivate him. Stro will alway disapoint and we need to get rid of him for whatever we can get.

18. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, I noticed a lack of Hayes & Mutombo. And a lack of rebounding. Coincidence?

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'd like to know where Moochie is. The team looked terrible tonight when Alston was on the bench and Wesley or Head was bringing up the ball. All Moochie has done is hit open shots and distributed the ball. It kills me when Wesley gets pressured in the backcourt - turnover waiting to happen.

20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Jon Barry should be our backup PG for the rest of the year, baring trades or at the very least, until Sura comes back and gets his legs under him. I don't think there is anybody on this BBS that questions his speed, decision making, passing ability, or veteran savvy. I don't think that Wesley (no handles, should save that energy for defense) should EVER be bringing up the ball.
    Head is a little too green as of yet and playing too poorly recently to warrant those responsibilities. Moochie is a servicable third option but will be gone via trade in a few weeks anyway...

DA should start at the 2, Wesley should be coming off the bench at the 2 only. With limited minutes, Wesley could really shine sticking it too the other teams best backup. More of his wide open 3s would drop also with fresher legs... DA, with his size, decent shot, and athleticism best compliments T-Mac and Yao as of right now. Unfortunately, health will always be a concern for DA compared to Wesley who has played in every game this season. Wesley could also be gone in a few weeks however...

Hayes should be the backup 3. Since the "showcasing" of Swift over the past 2 games, we are getting killed again on the boards and it shows. Swift should back up the 4 and 5 (sparingly), but could also be gone in a few weeks... With our starters out of the lineup, our offense will have to come from Hayes, Swift, and Deke, grabbing boards, and kicking them out to Wesley, Head, and Barry for open shots and/or fast break opportunities...