1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is a good cheap tex mex restaurant in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Where isn't there a good cheap tex mex restaurant in Houston?

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yes. Lupes aren't bad but el tiempos are pretty different from lupes. In a whole nother class

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I prefer Lupe's.

4. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

no love for los gallitos?

5. tharges

tharges Member

Ziggy has it.....chachos has the best homemade mexican food for really cheap. Fish tacos diablo style are the bomb. Taqueria cancun is awesome as well enchiladas are really good, but the best thing they have are their soups. Caldo de res and caldo de cameron, both bad ass. Trust me! Good call Ziggy!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

If you're just talking about beef fajitas, then they are pretty close, but the taste is far different. El Tiempo is more of a smokey flavor, while Lupe's has a lot of lime. Both excellent.

For the total package of grilled items though and pretty much everything else on the menu, El Tiempo blows Lupe's away. I'd recommend getting the Deluxe Mixed Grill to split between your entire table. The order "for 1" is easily enough to feed 3 people. Beef and chicken fajitas, jalapeno sausage, lobster, grilled shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, chili relleno, ribs, quail.....a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. It's an amazing dish to say the least.

[​IMG]

#127 Harrisment, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I want one of those fajita plate charcoal things for home but they're always too
    Hot to get my wife to stick it in her purse. :) wish I could find a place to buy one.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If it ain't beef, it ain't worth chewing.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Chicken is the bomb, Zig. Chew it up.

11. eg85

eg85 Member

In my own experience around downtown some good cheap tex mex would be teotihuacan on airline or cyclone Anaya's in midtown.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Cyclone Anaya's is horrible imo and it's not cheap. Same prices as El Tiempo due to "atmosphere" I guess, because the food is not worth it. I would go to greasetastic Case Ole' any day and every day over that place again. They fooled me TWICE.