1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does the Ty Lawson trade rank on Morey's rap sheet for highway robbery?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Which mugging do you savor the most?

1. Harden for Kevin Martin

85.8%
  2. Kevin Martin for (broken down) Tracy McGrady

4.2%
  3. Vassilis Spanoulis (the Greek Tracy McGrady) for Luis Scola

6.3%
  4. Other

3.8%
  1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm beginning to take Morey's violence against other GMs for granted. I'm wondering though where his latest offence ranks for you.

Which is the greatest heist of his career so far?

2. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

If lawson plays up to his potential, i'd put right behind the Harden trade( simply because we didnt give up much to get a top 10 pg)

1 person likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This one needs a little time. We had, err, external factors helping us. And we need to see how those affect the value we got in return.

But if this pans out, I'd say it's very close to the Harden trade!

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The Harden trade will be remembered as one of the most one-sided trades in the history of the league mostly due to Harden's brilliance. We gave up Kevin Martin, Steven Adams, and Jeremy Lamb for him (I forgot who the other first rounder ended up being).

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rafer for Lowry, Brooks for a pick AND Dragic... not too shabby.

6. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I think it's pretty obvious that the Harden trade was the one that all of the other trades were driving toward and is the most important for our sucess, but I still consider the trade for Scola as the one I love the most. Probably because I hated Spanoulis and Scola became one of my favorite Rockets of all time.

And Morey did it to San Antonio. Icing on the cake.

7. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I forgot about that one. If we had managed to sign Dragic it would be at the top of the list probably. At least if we had still been able to sign Harden.

8. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

It all depends on how Lawson does on and off he court. If we win a championship right behind Harden, but if Lawson drives drunk again then Morey and the Rockets will be crucified.

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Well the poll question was:

Which mugging do you savor the most?

So I said Harden.

But the thread question was:

Where does the Ty Lawson trade rank on Morey's rap sheet for highway robbery?

And I would say turning V-Span into Scola is the most similar.

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Sorry for the confusion. If I could correct it I would.

The truth is I'm interested in both. Rationally, wins and losses, Harden is the clear winner. At least in my opinion. But for the shear enjoyment of watching DM fold another GM over the table it's gotta be Scola. Kevin Martin for knobby knee'd Tracy McGrady is second one I 'savor'.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meant to select harden for kmart trade... :eek:

This will hopefully rank 2nd behind that

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

must wait till the season plays it self out to see how big of a steal this really was...But just in terms of value without much risk, this is about as sweat of a deal a team can get...Much better than the KMart deal. Remember no one expected James Harden to be the Harden we know and love...

13. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Savor the Harden trade the most.

As far as biggest fleecing (actual talent given vs actual talent obtained), I would think the Scola trade would be number 1, but that's because Spanoulis' NBA sample size is so small.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

If Lawson is the same player here that he was in Denver, then that trade goes down as the most lopsided.

When we traded for Harden, we actually gave up some good players and picks. Just because they didn't pan out doesn't mean they didn't have tremendous value at the time.

Denver has already waived Papa and Prigioni, Nick is 100% a prospect, and we really just traded down from the end of he 1st in 2016 to the beginning of the 2nd in 2017.

15. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

I don't remember the details of that Donte Greene/Ron Artest trade but that also comes to mind...granted, it has the benefit of hindsight

What's really great it that I don't think we've ended up on the horribly wrong side of any of these trades

16. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

of any major trades I mean. But I may just be talking without thinking it through first :)

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Terrence Williams for a first rounder comes to mind.
    Jonny Flynn and DMo for a first rounder and Mirotic?
    The infamous Batter-Rudy Gay trade? (Still hotly debated. Not sure if this counts for Morey.)

I'm not losing any sleep over those trades, though.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Harden trade is easily Moreys biggest

Where this one ranks is tough to say & ultimately is up to Lawson beating his demons,
    The odds are stacked against him , I've seen more addicts than not fail , recently a friend of mine relapsed after 29 years

Being in my 2nd year sober, I know first hand how tough it is, watching others fall back into old habits is a harsh reminder

A sober Lawson is a borderline all star. A drunk Lawson is lucky to be in the league

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nothing will ever come close to the Harden trade. That trade is already near-legendary.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Obviously the Harden trade was the most important, but there was always something special about Scola that made me especially relish getting him for nothing. That'll be my most personally memorable Morey move.