1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Greg Smith fit?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Our Center rotation is set, and if we move Asik in a trade, it's very likely we'll replace him with Marcus Camby.

As far as the 4 goes, Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas are both higher up on the depth chart.

It seems likely that Smith is the odd man out. I'd hate to see him leave though. In all his interviews he seems ecstatic to be a Rocket and he is a very hard worker. It just makes sense to move him. He doesn't seem to fit.

Do we trade him or keep him buried on the bench?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

See: 2nd Rounder. That is the outcome I anticipate.

(Or the lagniappe piece to a trade.)

I do not anticipate Gregg breaking camp with the Rox.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Hold on to him for the inevitable Asik trade this February or next summer. He still wouldn't get a ton of PT after that but you don't just deal him to deal him, or cut him when their are less talented players on the roster.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not sure why people are down on Smith. He is only 22 and makes almost nothing in salary.

Camby is a one year, mayyyybe two year rental.

Asik will be gone within 2 yrs, for sure.

Smith will be in perfect position to get more minutes, at the start of his prime, when those guys leave. I think the team would be crazy to give up on him this early. all he needs is more experience and a slight increase in FT%. It's at 62% now, but but shoots almost 70% at home, so i think that's closer to his real %.

#4 RV6, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

You really think D-Mo and Jones are ahead of him in the depth chart at PF? I think ideally those two would develop to be better than Smith (their games probably complement Howard's more) but I seem to recall Smith starting at PF in the playoffs over those two. My guess is that all three get a chance to prove they deserve minutes at that spot in the preseason, with the edge at this point going to Smith.

His biggest problem last year was that he was maddeningly terrible at defense. He's not going to be able to stay on the court if he doesn't figure out how to defend. He has the arms to make for lack of height, but probably needs to get more cerebral (like Hayes) to make up for lack of spring in his jump.

Really though, we should all be rooting for Smith. We should root for him hard. If he proves good enough to give Houston productive minutes at the 4 or 5, it gives Houston much greater ability to take on a big contract via trade because his contract is so cheap (just like with beverley).

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

trade asset or 3rd string pf/c. makes a bit under 900k next year then 1.1m qo next. that's really cheap for someoene like smith. he's far from useless scrub.

7. Matt78777

although smith is on the last year of his contract so if he does play really well there's always the chance he plays himself into a richer contract than we can afford. Not so with Beverley for a few years.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

our newest tradeable asset...a team like Sacremento would gobble him up...im certain of this.

9. Asian Sensation

between the end of the bench and the Vipers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I see Smith fitting nicely in a trade package to get us our fourth star.

11. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Would not be shocked if he starts at PF opening night.

1 person likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He fits in the third row of Royce's bus.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

If he's not playing defense, then what is he doing for us? His offense is completely limited to the occasional catch and dunk - he does have good hands & finishes well. I just don't see him fitting in well next to Howard or Asik, limited as he is.

14. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

The 4 Position will be training camp battle. T-Jones and D-Mo more inside/perimeter versatile than G.Smith. G.Smith more Power Forward-Center versatile.

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

GET
    SAC- Lin,Smith
    POR - Asik, P Pat
    Hou - LMA

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

17. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

18. LivinLikeLarry

He'll fit nicely on a seat between Omri Casspi and Reggie Williams.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would not be surprised if he ends up with the starting PF job. After all, he was the last actual PF to hold the job before the team went small ball vs. OKC and the team. Not to say that Smith is the favorite, but he has a good shot. Pretty good rebounder, excellent finisher, physical 1-on-1 post defender. Likely nearly as good a shot at starting PF as Jones, Motiejunas or anyone else.

He sucks as a rim protecting C, though, so my guess is that we won't see him there especially if Camby is on board and healthy and Asik isn't traded.

20. Matt78777

Playing offense? I agree, not the best fit with Asik or Howard, but he proved more reliable offensively last season than D-Mo, and slightly less so than Jones. He's a good enough cutter/dunker that is has the same effect of a decent outside shot (his defender can't just ignore him and guard an area or double team someone else). Given that D-Mo and Jones were also dicey at best on defense last season, Smith is probably in line to get back up PF minutes when we aren't going small. Cross your fingers though that D-Mo does improve offensively (and defensively) enough to take away minutes since he allegedly has an outside shot.

Like I said, Smith's true value is at center. If he could improve enough that he isn't a huge liability defensively, it'd be easier to let Asik go. In certain end of game situations I could also see him on the floor if only for his free throw shooting. For instance, when it's a close game the other team has the ball and we have no timeouts.

Too bad we can't hire chuck hayes as a coach. He has the strength and size to play that kind of defense. Not sure if he has the mental acumen though.