1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Chuck hayes rank among your favorite Rocket Role Players of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Mar 26, 2011.

?

Favorite Rockets Role player of all time

Poll closed Apr 9, 2011.
  1. Chuck Hayes

58 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Dikembe Mutombo

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Shane Battier

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Robert Horry

22 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Mario Elie

31 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Sam Cassell

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Bob Sura

11 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. Otis Thorpe

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. Eric "Sleepy" Floyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Greg M

Greg M Member

Horry was amazing. BUT, he didn't bring that fire to the Rockets. Horry quietly won huge games. Elie changed the energy of the team.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not quite. Horry got moved to the 4 in game 6 of the WCF against the Spurs. Rudy wanted to move Rodman away from the lane. Chilcutt started all prior playoff games. Elie did not start prior to that, and Herrera was staring PF after the Thorpe/Drexler trade...but got injured prior to the playoffs.

Elie did not start the next season, either. Chucky Brown was PF and Horry was SF.

Elie didn't start until Horry was traded for Barkley...in the 96-97 season.

To answer the question...I'm about ready to put Hayes in my top five.

3. DouggYsTyLe06

DouggYsTyLe06 Member

We all know none of them compare to Pig Miller or Two Samiches

4. conquistador#11

"only the great movies get sequels" Kenny smith with that unconventional wisdom.
    I would take scotty brooks over any one that came after the championship years.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

You stole my vote away from any of the popular choices by putting Sura on this poll.

I love several of these guys.
    Sura is just kind of my particular flavor of basketball player, I played a lot like him in high school and regardless of whether he actually stuck with the team he was the man.
    Hayes is second.
    Horry is third, and based on the games I've seen would almost certainly be first if I had watched him night in and night out; unfortunately, he was traded away when I was six so I'm limited to the handful of games that are in the Classic rotation or readily available on the web. He was a special role player, though.

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Zan Tabak, Chris Jent, Carl Herrera, Chucky Brown, E The Shot J, Tracy Murray, Sam Mack, Matt Maloney & Nick The Brick Anderson, who could forget the role he played in helping us win that epic Game 1?

But I always loved Horry & OT, they were special players, and Deke is all class.

Chuckwagon has a heart bigger than Phar Lap, but I wouldn't tag him as the Goat just yet...wait till after we beat Miami in Game 7 of the finals this year, then we talk.

Zan Tabak! Zan Tabak! Zan Tabak!

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

You ask us where he ranks and give us a poll of favorite role player ?
    Also please define role player.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Probably not top 10 on my list. Its a bit over blown because he is playing right now.

Heck i can go up and down alist off of almost Championship players alone and then start from there.

Elie
    Horry
    Cassel
    Maxwell
    Otis Smith
    Kenny Smith
    and then to go from there
    Cuttino Mobley
    Dikembe Mutumbo
    Chuck Hayes

He makes it around the lower mark but he is rising up the boards. Not gonna say he is my favorite until he peaks and we see where this team is at when he does peak and team does.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You and I think alike. I love Chuck but he hasn't won us a championship yet. I would have loved to have had him during the 96 season when we didn't have a true PF to deal with Kemp.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Deke, Horry, Cassell, Chuck, Elie.

That's my order.

I loved Horry, Cassell and Elie, but what Deke did @ 40 year old was incredible, they did it all at a young age.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Honestly guys, I am the only person on this forum who should be choosing Chuck Hayes.

:) Everyone else should have more history - especially from the chip years.

12. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

My order is cassell, elie, horry, chuck, maxwell, ot, deke

The OP asked who your favorite role player was. This is a subjective question. He never asked who was the most important or best, or integral to a winning team. Why do so many posters have an issue with who someone's favorite player is?

13. moreyball

moreyball Member

Good point lol

14. fattz

fattz Member

Was Otis Thorpe a role player? he made the all-star team...

Scotty Brooks was the only point on the team that could close out a game. He had very little physicaly BUT BBIQ was crazy high... ( like watching a geek play by out smarting the other team's players - he was great! )

15. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

carl Hererra!!! Amigo..... :)

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't believe you cats forgot one of the great role players of all time for the Rockets, Bobby Joe Reid. With John Lucas tossed out of the league for swimming in snow, and Allen Leavell gimpy from an injury, Reid, a small forward, played a lot at the point guard spot without missing a beat, playing great defense, and was crucial to the Rockets making the 1986 Finals. That's the run that tossed the Lakers during the WC Finals with The Shot from Ralph Sampson. What some forget is that it was Reid's clutch 3 pointer (and Allen Leavell's rebound... Leavell immediately called a timeout, a heads-up play) that made Ralph's shot possible. The Rocks were defeated in 6 games by arguably the best team ever, the '85-'86 Celtics. Without Reid, we probably don't get to the Finals, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Roxs-Redemption

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Deckard my friend, once again we are on the same wavelength.

I was going thru this thread asking myself if time had colored my memories of Robert Reid's importance since no one else was even mentioning him.

I modeled my game as a youth after the fabulous Mr Reid. :grin:

In no particular order(just cant do it)

Robert Reid
    Chuckie Brown
    Bob Sura
    Chuck Hayes
    Amigo
    Shane
    Cat

Edit: Im embarrassed I initially forgot about Mario...bad 2K :whips self:

EDIT Edit: For the people b****ing about this thread...READ THE DAMN POST

This is purely a "Who is YOUR FAVORITE ROLE player" thread.....not "Whos the Best" or "Whos better"
    If you dont care to name your favorite ROLE players, then just dont post.

#38 Rockets2K, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  19. ABforPresident

Its not a cookie..
    Its not a cracker..

It's Von Wafer! :grin:

No but really, my vote goes to Bob Sura..then Elie

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's up there. my all-time favorite is bobby sura and otis thorpe, respectively.

he's one of those players that you can truly say: "that guy maxed out his potential."