1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Where do you think Kevin Porter Jr. will be for the 2023-24 season?

1. Starting point guard for the Houston Rockets

2. Starting two-guard or wing for the Houston Rockets

3. Coming off the bench for the Houston Rockets

4. On another team

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I’d prefer him at the wing but I think he’ll still be point. If there was a pg projected to go in the top 3 I’d want the rockets to take a look at him but at this point I don’t know that one is. Do you bring a free agent in? Who fits that will be available?

Edit: I thought it said 22-23.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green MUST improve his 3ball before he can start.

27% from 3 is going to kill spacing with starting 5.

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I think I never pictured myself talking about anything but robots or clones in 2024

4. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I'm not saying Green has to start, but outside of the two-big lineup he has shot very well, 42% from 3.

If he keeps shooting 27% all season then yeah that's not gonna be good enough

D-rock likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

It's too early to tell. His shooting is really bad and his decision making is also not great. But the talent is there. It's going to be a question to revisit at the end of year after we see what happens with Wood.

I'd guess no. Green, Sengun and the next draft pick are the future of this team and if Wood or KPJ get in the way of either of those then they need to be gone.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

Shooting poorly from 3 is not killing spacing. Opposing defense not respecting your shot is.

despite JGs struggle, they do stay close to him at the 3pt line because they know he can get hot.

Joe Joe likes this.
  7. Denovo

Denovo Member

He’s 21. Don’t see a reason why he wouldn’t be here at 23.

I voted wing player. He can fit in multiple positions if point guard doesn’t work. Improved shooting will make or break his development.

Idk why people are worried about “fit” with him and Green. We literally watched ball dominant duos in Harden and Paul and Harden and Russ succeed playing together.

We don’t run a heliocentric offense like we did with D’Antoni. There’s plenty of touches for both of them.

Give them a chance to play together with the improved floor spacing.

Sonicbun8, GotGame15 and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Harden and Russ succeeded?

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

hope he leaves for san francisco to replace an aging curry. deserves nothing less

10. Denovo

Denovo Member

I would consider a backcourt that averages 34 and 27 ppg while being the 4 seed very successful.

Yes.

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The San Francisco hobos.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really true though. The vast majority (82%) of his 3 point shots are either open or wide open, he's not being guarded very closely and he still can't shoot.

With Green, defenders are much more concerned about his quick first step than his shooting. They know he can't shoot, so they stay back to clog lanes....killing spacing.

Now if he ever leaned how to shoot, then he'd be awesome off-ball, but right now he's "streaky" rather than good. Just another thing for him to work on in the years ahead.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's just nonsense. He's going to be given the chance to improve his shooting by being given playing time.

This is what tanking/lottery teams with #2 lottery picks do. Some nights you'll get Boston. Sometimes you won't. It's a curve.

The theory that he learns by Osmosis while KPJ 36% overall shows him what efficient shooting looks like, or that Green is Russ to our AD& LeBron (kpj and wood?) is very defective.

Green needs to sit - as long as he's injured. Otherwise if you have a #2 pick who you think is going to be great you play him and see if you're right, not wrap him in tissue paper because you're scared he'll go 2-7 from distance instead of 3-8, hampering your bid for a 25 win season

Green was on schedule. This is what rebuilding is guys.

Zen Tabak and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's had a few nice games in a row finally, great to see that. Hopefully he continues that trajectory and he'll be here.

2 years from now may still be in our tanking window (hopefully the tail end) so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still here.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

westbrick gets hot too..

GotGame15 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its just a matter of time. Green is not a bad shooter by any stretch of the imagination. He's been in a funk, but that Chicago game the kid was locked in - started the game with a 3 and overall the shot looked great in the limited minutes he played before going down. With the ability to get to the cup in space teams wont be able to sag and congest the paint and FORCE bad shots. It should all flow better and get him in quicker rhythm offensively.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

Yea but they don’t guard them out there. They do guard JG there so my point still stands

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They don't though.....as I pointed out to you above.

So, your point doesn't stand, so you can't really double down on it.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Westbrook scored those 27 ppg inefficiently, and it was clear to Harden that acquiring Westbrook ended his chances at competing for a championship in Houston despite the part he played in that acquisition. I do not consider taking a 4th seed team, combining those two, and in just over a year causing a complete teardown as successful.

Rockets got incredibly lucky to be in the position they are currently in. Rockets could easily not have Green and Sengun after what you call successful.

Edit: I'm not opposed to two ball dominant players. They just both be able to shoot the three such that the defense has to guard them without the ball. I think Green's 3 point percentage will go up with better spacing.

#59 Joe Joe, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think his defense has improved this year, and his scoring remains solid. He just can't play point guard. I would not be mad if they moved on but ideally 6th man next year or start at 2 guard and we get a more experienced/capable point guard.

Crashlanded19 likes this.