1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you draw the line - transgender

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Feb 7, 2023.

?

We all draw the line some where. Where do you draw the line?

1. Society should refer to transgenders using their preferred pronouns

19 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. Definitions ("man", "woman", "gender", & "sex") should be changed/eliminated due to transgenders

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. It should be permissible for transgenders to share restroom/locker room with their identified gender

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Transgenders should be able to participate in athletic & other competitions based on their identity

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Transgenders should qualify for loans, grants, scholarships, & admissions based on their identity

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. Gender-specific organizations should be required to accept transgendrs based on their gender idntity

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. Historical medical records & birth certificats should be changed to only show transgenders' indntity

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Transgenders <16 yrs should be able to hve sex-reassignmnt surgery/pubrty blockrs w/o parent consent

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. The U.S. government should provide finances for sex-reassigned surgeries and puberty-blocking drugs

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. None of the above

47 vote(s)
    69.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Two Sandwiches

I am willing to hear trans people out, and refer to them by their preferred pronouns. Not sure about any of the other stuff. They definitely shouldn't be allowed into their preferred gender's sports. All of the other stuff could be fairly negotiable, besides allowing minors to make permanent hormonal/surgical decisions without parental consent. That should be illegal.

That being said, I have a hard time not believing most trans people have some sort of psychological issue. I don't mean that in a harmful way, as psychological issues are prevalent in society, but it's hard for me to see trans people as totally level-headed people.

I also realize that is wrong of me. I don't have a mean bone in my body, I'm just trying to be honest here.

I assume this was much like some older generations viewed things from a racial/homosexual standpoint. Just a product of their times. I'd like to add that I'm not a racist or homophobe, just using that as a comparison.

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

You've shown a lot of introspection here. I would also like you to open up to the possiblity that the psychological issues are more of an effect from social stigma and harassment. Imagine being trans and having to go through the ordealmof attending a public restroom. Their life is full of anxiety over the most basic things we non trans folks never experience. Imagine going to a public restroom but worrying you might encounter a Twitter doom scroller in the wild who might whip out their smartphone to make a scene out of you. Imagine having to think about that stuff constantly. That can cause psychological stress. Or having your family shun you or abandon you. Another thing that can cause psychological trauma. I'm sure trans kids aren't that socially accepted in peer groups in grade school also.

I remember a trans classmate in high school and not a single person ever tried to approach her and attempt to be friends with her. It was kinda sad. I feel sad about thinking about that individual.

3. Two Sandwiches

I don't disagree with you. It's akin to being fat and hating yourself for it, but to a larger degree, in a way.

And that's not to say I wouldn't be friends with a trans person. At all. I have a family member that is trans. They have a long standing history of psych issues. Maybe that's where my thoughts come from?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Maybe. Consider if the psych issues stem from social anxiety or being trans.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What happened to the trans kid that was posting here. Da Juice or something.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Probably afraid that if they post enough here, you could somehow find their physical location and do physical harm.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hope he/she is ok.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Express that concern through actions like quiting the practice of of dedicating hours a week on a NBA team fan message board spamming anti-trans content rather than empty posts like this.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

What a ridiculous strawman argument. So the government should only interject in cases of mass discrimination? How many women being affected is one too many for you? How can you be okay with disenfranchising an entire gender based upon a small fraction of the population? White people used this argument against civil rights for decades literally.

Women are allowed to play in Mens sports right now. Theres nothing stopping them. Why dont they? Because its a simple fact that men who have higher levels of testosterone have unfair advantages compared to women. Their muscles heal/grow quicker, they recover quicker, they carry a higher concentration of o2, higher stamina, higher endurance, etc

To claim trans women dont have a unfair advantage to their peers is utter bs. I support trans rights but i dont support disenfranchising an entire sex based upon a small group of people. If trans folks want to compete im okay with setting up national leagues that cater to them but to group them in with females is wrong.

Theres nothing "progressive" about disenfranchising an entire gender. People on the left waste such a huge amount of political capital on this topic when theres much bigger issues on hand

#1369 astros123, Aug 17, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

The handful of women who do get affected it's usually them losing some high school or college level competition and by "losing" being in third or second place or something along those lines.

What it doesn't do is affect career trajectory unless you are that low on women sports that you think professional leagues scout based on just looking at competition rankings instead of having dedicated scouts attending games and competitions knowing very well the level of players they are regardless of whether they won first or second etc.

Trans people don't affect women in terms of career paths or meaningful consequences to liberty and rights.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

Do you realize how crazy your argument is? This is like white people in the south saying, "hey its not that bad black people can still drink water its just in another water fountain! hey black ppl can still go to school just at a black school!" Hey discrimination doesn't effect black people cuz they can still get basic needs! Its not like black folks cant live a healthy life cuz their not slaves any

Jesus man get a grip. You cant discriminate against an entire gender simply because it might hurt a few people. You have no idea what long term impact it may cause girls. You are literally just making **** up.

Is it true that Trans women have a unfair advantage to other women? Its a simple question. You keep deflecting to pivot to trying to measure the damage and make a strawman argument for why its not that bad

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Dude... your comparison to the plight of apartheid and your earlier comment about 'the amount of oppressed people shouldn't matter" gives me vibes that you have a fundamental misunderstanding how discrimination against types of people work. They work through social and economic clout. The few trans people in high level sports do not have some over clout in terms of social or economic clout to instill a systemic oppression of women. It's absurd. Yes, compared to what power and clout of white people did to the Black Africans in South America, getting second place in a swim meet is trivial.

In the US, women don't get kicked out for coming out as a girl from their family. Trans people routinely do get kicked from their families which creates an underclass of humans who are often victims of things like sex trafficking. They will never have the clout or power to systemically alter women's rights and liberties.

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Theres not thousands of professional female athletes out there? How many future girls wont be professional athletes now because of what they may consider a unfair advantage a earlier age and not compete anymore? I have friends in northeast who have daughters who have told me that they wont compete because theres a trans girl in their school competing. This is literally already happening and what made me talk about this topic.

You keep debating about this topic as if trans youth are the only people being affected here. Whether you agree or not there are teenage girls who are literally not competing in sports right now.

I dont understand how you think its fair to teenage girls that they have to compete with folks who have a unfair advantage. Would you be okay with some basketball players being allowed to take roids and others not? Of course not

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I find everything about this absurd. It's also insulting to women pro scouting.

No I'm not generating much empathy for this. This is pathetic excuse to just spam anti-trans content. Tell those girls you know that told you they won't compete that if they really want a pro career out of their athletics, then don't treat women pro sport league scouting as jokes.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Also, at the end of the day women will always have the power and wealth advantage due to sheer numbers to always have an exclusive pro women's leagues that don't allow trans athletes. So no I don't see this having some systemic impact on women's liberation and rights.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

Do trans women have a unfair advantage compared to teenage girls? Why dont you ever answer my questions instead of calling me words? I work in the medical field and work alongside the biggest hospitals in the state and ive done a fair deal of research on this. I recommend you to do the same. Stop looking at it from a emotional POV

Would you be okay with some NBA players taking roids and others not? I just dont understand how leveling the playing field somehow makes folks "anti trans" and bigots.

If you want to speak to my friend whos dealing with this and get his prospective let me know but you calling folks anti trans is childish.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Sure I'm sure some do. It still won't effect their career paths and ability to earn wealth and fame.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Who the hell are you to say this seriously? You are literally generalizing everyone simply due to what you might think. Its so insane

19. astros123

astros123 Member

Okay so you've admitted that trans girls have a unfair advantage to biological girls and you're okay with it. I just want to make that clear. You're okay with some people cheating in sports in the name of "equity."

I just want to make clear i understood that correctly

Houstunna likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

riley gaines sure has put together a successful gig... the fox news trans report

fchowd0311 likes this.