1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you draw the line - transgender

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Feb 7, 2023.

?

We all draw the line some where. Where do you draw the line?

1. Society should refer to transgenders using their preferred pronouns

19 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Definitions ("man", "woman", "gender", & "sex") should be changed/eliminated due to transgenders

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. It should be permissible for transgenders to share restroom/locker room with their identified gender

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Transgenders should be able to participate in athletic & other competitions based on their identity

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Transgenders should qualify for loans, grants, scholarships, & admissions based on their identity

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Gender-specific organizations should be required to accept transgendrs based on their gender idntity

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Historical medical records & birth certificats should be changed to only show transgenders' indntity

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Transgenders <16 yrs should be able to hve sex-reassignmnt surgery/pubrty blockrs w/o parent consent

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. The U.S. government should provide finances for sex-reassigned surgeries and puberty-blocking drugs

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. None of the above

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

All these people ranting about how people should use the restroom that coordinates with their genitalia until a person with a vagina and a full beard goes into a women's restroom.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How would it ever be an issue that that person just uses the men's. Nobody would see anything, person goes to the stall, done.

5. droxford

droxford Member

My answer to that:

Because I don't want to pretend that someone is something that they aren't.

I don't to pretend you're a cat, or a dog, or a toaster, or a dragon...
    ..and if you have XX chromosomes, I don't want to pretend you're a woman.

You are free to think of yourself as a woman if you want. But I don't think you should expect the world around you to change for you.
    .. and I don't think people should be forced or shamed into catering to you.

If you have XX chromosomes, you're male. And none of the makeup, none of dresses, none of tuckers, none of puberty blockers, none of surgeries, NOTHING can change the fact that you're male.

Now - that doesn't mean that you deserve to have people beat you up, sling profanity at you, curse you, or berate you.
    ...and my preference to not call you by your pronouns is not insult, offense, prejudice, or disrespect.

Your preference is about how you want the people of the world to change how they address you.
    My preference is about how I want to address you.
    You have your preference, I have mine. It's that simple.

JumpMan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. durvasa

But using someone's preferred pronouns when they are a transgender woman isn't pretending that they have a vagina or XX chromosomes when they don't. It's accepting that they sincerely have chosen (for strongly felt personal reasons) to adopt the gender role of a female despite contrary biological indicators that we use to assign gender to new-borns, that they would like to be addressed as such, and being gracious enough to do so. That's it.

Words that reflect biological attributes or relationships can have other meanings in a wider social context. Would you refuse to address an adoptive parent as a "parent" because they aren't a true biological parent of their child? I assume not.

Xopher likes this.
  7. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

How would it be an issue if a person with a penis just uses the women's? They would just go into a stall and no one would see anything.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. droxford

droxford Member

Of course it is. Some of them even pour ketchup on themselves and pretend they're having a period. Some invoke pain on themselves and pretend they're having menstrual cramps (from the uterus that they don't have).

I don't care. And I don't have to care. Any my lack of care is not an insult.

I don't know. But it would be by my choice, not theirs.

JumpMan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. durvasa

It really isn't, and it's weird that you don't understand this. No one who supports transgender women and uses their preferred pronouns is under the delusion that they have an invisible vagina or XX chromosomes.

OK?

People can choose to be assholes, yes. Fully agree.

11. droxford

droxford Member

[shhhh... I know you don't REALLY have a vagina, but let's pretend you do. I'll call you "her" and "she"]. No thanks.

...and a person's preference to use biologically-accurate pronouns doesn't make them an a$$hole.
    Now if someone physically attacks, berates, or uses profanity against a trans person simply because they're trans...THAT would make them an a$$hole.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What about if someone is in front of a trans person and talks about them in front of them and references their wrong pronoun and specifically using language that makes use of pronouns more to emphasize you disagree with their existence?

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do the women's not have stalls? Not thinking it's just a long trough like Wrigley Field. Why is it any different?

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because women might feel threatened by someone with male genitals in their bathroom. Not the same the other way around. Common sense.

Nook and droxford like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Incredibly intolerant post.

droxford likes this.
  16. droxford

droxford Member

And, really, dude, I had respect for you right up to this point... People who disagree with you are a$$holes?

First of all "disagree with their existence" is putting words in others' mouths, and is poor communication.

I suspect you're referring to the tone in which it's said.... kinda like "Yes, SIR!" in a taunting way? That's uncalled for. No need for that. That tone would be antagonistic if it was said to anyone.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. durvasa

Not at all. I fully tolerate other people's right to be assholes.

Toleration doesn't mean suspension of judgment against uncivil behavior.

18. durvasa

No, people who are inconsiderate to others are assholes. That's the usual definition, isn't it?

Don't expect others to think your choice to be inconsiderate to others is just fine, even if they understand you every right to make that choice.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You think if someone doesn't cater to the subjective demands of someone else to address them as something they objectively are not, that makes them "assholes"?

Incredibly intolerant and closed-minded of you.

You and @Deckard - embarrassing.

Deckard called people who don't comply with the forced gender language "human toilets", you call them "assholes".

Let's keep in mind, this comes from those who think they are morally superior and more virtuous.

blue_eyed_devil and droxford like this.
  20. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Ha ha... I've used that trough. It's nasty. :p